Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 403325 times)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2580 on: August 15, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »
Dorada, welcome!! Please (please!) share more of your experiences. I know I'm not the only one pwho would be interested!

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #2581 on: August 18, 2014, 02:37:10 PM »
Not a "ghost story" but I don't know where else to put this.  My husband and I were away for a few days and got home late last night.  Our dog was still at the boarding place, we'd pick her up in the morning.  She usually sleeps at my feet on the bed. 

Me: "It feels weird not having Madison home." 
Husband: "Madison, huh?"  <-- Madison was my beagle who passed away in 2008, our current dog's name is not even close to that.
Me: "....? Did I say Madison?"
Husband: "Yep."
Me: "Oh. Now I'm sad."

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2582 on: August 18, 2014, 10:30:16 PM »
^I know how you feel. One of my outdoor strays disappeared permanently and I still automatically include her name in "Fluffy, Snowball, Buddy, come get your dinner" if I don't catch myself  :-\

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #2583 on: August 19, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
I was in church a couple weeks ago, and the children's sermon was about Jesus walking on water. For those who don't know, when the disciples first see Jesus, they think he's a ghost.

Keep in mind that violinp, several others in my church, and I have...experienced the presence of our former music director in church.

One little kid stoutly said, "But there's no such thing as ghosts!", as if anyone could possibly believe differently.

At that moment, I, being far from any AC vents or other possibility of cool air, got smacked with a rush of ice cold air on my back. I had to laugh that our music director was once again making himself known.

I already knew he was in there, though, because the sanctuary felt "weird". That's the way I describe a room when I feel a presence or several presences, but it just means that I get the sense that I'm not in a simple existence. So I whispered, "Director, if you're here, move the right banner." Butter me up and call me a biscuit if he didn't shake the bottom of that banner.

In news about the ghosts in violinp's and my house, one of them tried to shove me down the stairs about a month ago. I know I'm clumsy, but my mom was off somewhere else, and my dad and sister were downstairs. There was no one and nothing that I could have felt putting its hands on my back and pushing me.

Vita brevis, ars longa

gmatoy

« Reply #2584 on: August 19, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »

In news about the ghosts in violinp's and my house, one of them tried to shove me down the stairs about a month ago. I know I'm clumsy, but my mom was off somewhere else, and my dad and sister were downstairs. There was no one and nothing that I could have felt putting its hands on my back and pushing me.

Okay, if they start doing that, I'm getting someone in to get it out! Too scary and what if someone is really hurt? Nope, time to see the light and go!

Kaymyth

« Reply #2585 on: August 19, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »

Okay, if they start doing that, I'm getting someone in to get it out! Too scary and what if someone is really hurt? Nope, time to see the light and go!

Yeah, that is NOT cool.  That spook needs to be shown the door.

You might try doing a full-house smudge with white sage.  That'll get rid of anything that's not making a real effort to stick around.  If that doesn't work and your ghostie keeps making with the attempted harm, it's time to call in the big guns.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2586 on: August 19, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »
Question: what happens to the spirits, after a smudge with sage?
Do they pass into another dimension? Or move into someone else's home?

Kaymyth

« Reply #2587 on: August 19, 2014, 06:54:21 PM »

Depends on the spirit, really.  Some of them just sort of drift off, others find somewhere to be that isn't inhabited by all those annoying alive people.  Others do make pests of themselves and find someone else to bother.

They do tend to be attracted to folks with the ability to see/hear them, though.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #2588 on: August 19, 2014, 06:56:26 PM »
A local paranormal investigation society is interested in doing an investigation of my home.  I'm thinking of letting them.  I wonder, if they find anything will it weird me out?  LOL.  If I can find someplace to take all the critters when the paranormal folks want to investigate, I think I'll go for it.
One of the things I appreciate about my "new house" is how neutral it feels.  I'm never scared here.  The home itself is around 100 years old, and I don't know much about its history, but I never get that creepy feeling. 

No feeling of cats jumping on the bed when mine are soundly asleep at my feet.  No sounds of someone creakily walking out in the kitchen when the entire family is accounted for and asleep.  No sounds unaccounted for.  (Well, the sump pump is noisy and startles me sometimes, but that's not creepy!)    :D

Every other place I have lived in my adult life has had weird things happen on occasion, and occasionally given me a creepy feeling, but not here.  The house has some issues, and I got a deal on it because of this, but feeling safe and unafraid here is priceless.  I still leave a lamp on in the living room and turn on the kitchen sink light when my son is out and I'm home alone at night, but I am never really creeped out.  I agree with Eddie Murphy's take on people living in a "haunted" house.    ;D
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2589 on: August 19, 2014, 08:12:20 PM »

Depends on the spirit, really.  Some of them just sort of drift off, others find somewhere to be that isn't inhabited by all those annoying alive people.  Others do make pests of themselves and find someone else to bother.

They do tend to be attracted to folks with the ability to see/hear them, though.

Oh lovely. That's always good news! :P
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Kaymyth

« Reply #2590 on: August 19, 2014, 09:49:08 PM »

Well, think about it.  Wouldn't you be?  If you were stuck in between worlds and had a choice of drifting through people who had no idea you were even there and getting some actual interaction with the people who can see  you, which would you choose?  A pretty good percentage of "mischievous" behavior in spirits has its roots in attention-seeking.  Sometimes, they just go too far, and it takes a spiritual smack upside the head for them to get the message that they screwed up.

There are nasty ones, but those are the exception rather than the rule.  And while sometimes they're malevolent, it's more often that they're just so scared/lonely/lost that they lash out without really understanding what they're doing.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2591 on: August 19, 2014, 10:07:40 PM »
That's probably why they don't seem to bother me.  I do seem to have a "ghost cat" that I see out of the corner of my eye on occasion that's a white cat.  None of mine are even close to white - one's a predominantly black tuxedo cat and the other two are gray/black tabbies with some white markings - but it doesn't seem to bother them so it doesn't bother me. 

Now, when my sister and I were at my late aunt's house, she told me all about the things she sensed.  I sensed nothing.  My dad told me he'd always thought that house was haunted (just what you need to hear when you're all alone in a large house except for a cat) but I still sensed nothing.  Max, the cat, didn't act as though he sensed anything, either.  Maybe since he'd lived in that house since he was a kitten he thought there was nothing unusual going on.  My sister, on the other hand, said that my great-grandmother was still there (she died in 1967) and didn't like the fact that I was selling "her" house.  She told me what to say to get Great-Grandma to move along and I repeated it, and according to her Great-Grandma had indeed moved on, but I still didn't sense anything different. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #2592 on: August 19, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
That's probably why they don't seem to bother me.  I do seem to have a "ghost cat" that I see out of the corner of my eye on occasion that's a white cat.  None of mine are even close to white - 
There's a hotel in Eureka Springs that has both human and feline ghosts. The owners told the story of seeing their cat nuzzlepurr what appeared to them to be thin air. They concluded that there had to be a ghost that the cat could see, and figured if the cat liked it, it must be a good ghost. Then, years later, the cat died, and soon after guests started inquiring if there were a hotel cat, as they had felt a cat rubbing up against their ankles. They figured that since the cat had so enjoyed being a hotel cat, he just decided to stay with his ghostly friends and human family rather than going to the Bridge.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2593 on: August 20, 2014, 03:39:14 AM »

Well, think about it.  Wouldn't you be?  If you were stuck in between worlds and had a choice of drifting through people who had no idea you were even there and getting some actual interaction with the people who can see  you, which would you choose?  A pretty good percentage of "mischievous" behavior in spirits has its roots in attention-seeking.  Sometimes, they just go too far, and it takes a spiritual smack upside the head for them to get the message that they screwed up.

There are nasty ones, but those are the exception rather than the rule.  And while sometimes they're malevolent, it's more often that they're just so scared/lonely/lost that they lash out without really understanding what they're doing.

I can see why they would want someone who can see or hear them. I'm just not terribly thrilled at that idea. Attention-seeking behaviour from living humans is quite bad enough without adding in a whole other dimension.

But I think my opinion is coloured by the fact that certain things *glares meaningfully at wall* seem to want my attention mostly at three AM, like a <bleeping> toddler who wants a glass of water. ::) ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #2594 on: August 20, 2014, 10:22:09 AM »
I do seem to have a "ghost cat" that I see out of the corner of my eye on occasion...

I've probably told this story before about my parent's house. They have a ghost cat, likely two now. For a while they had one of those stupid bead curtains on their kitchen doorway and my stepmom thought she saw a grey cat walk into the kitchen ...... and the beads were moving.  Meanwhile their only cat - an orange one - was sound asleep in the livingroom. After the orange cat passed away at age 21 or so they got a tortoiseshell cat.  One day my dad's coworker dropped by.  When the new cat walked into the room the man said "Where did this cat come from?"  My dad said "This is our cat, <cat's name>."  The man said "But when I came in I saw an orange cat in your kitchen."