Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 382153 times)

Jocelyn

Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2595 on: August 20, 2014, 11:26:37 AM »
Dinah Cat loved Christmas decorations. I would always hang a brass bell on the lowest, most accessible branch, for her to play with.
The first year after she died, I was sitting across the living room with Coraco on my lap, and the bell rang. Coraco looked at the tree, and her head snapped around to face me, with a look of 'Did you see THAT?' on her face. No draft in the room; we had a gravity-flow furnace, so there was no way for a breeze from the furnace to have caused the bell to move.
Several years later, we moved to a new home, and the first year there, the bell rang again. I think Dinah was just checking in to make sure that I knew that she had the power to do so. :) OTOH, I don't think that time runs the same way at the Bridge as it does here, so she's missed a few Christmases since then. But that's OK.

dorada

« Reply #2596 on: August 21, 2014, 07:31:27 PM »
Dorada, welcome!! Please (please!) share more of your experiences. I know I'm not the only one pwho would be interested!

thanks, jayhawk! I was just reading the new posts. I like when this thread gets a bump  :) I will be sure to come back with some more- the one I did post wasn't a 'ghost' story so I was afraid it didn't fit in here!

ellasaunt

« Reply #2597 on: August 22, 2014, 10:19:25 AM »
I have a few.....occurrences I would like to share. A little background - our first child  was born sleeping.  All things are related to him.

- The day after he was delivered, our house filled with butterflies.  I was in the process of shutting the world out - all door and windows were closed.
- I live on the other side of the world to where I grew up, that is,  I now live in Europe,  I grew up Down Under. My grandfather was dying of cancer, we made the trip home to say goodbye. On the day he moved to Hospice, the exact species of butterfly that filled my house was on the side of Grandad's house. I saw it, and without thinking said to my mother " oh look,  Angelbaby has come for Grandad". Grandad died within  24 hours.
- Every year, the week of Angelbaby's anniversary,  there is always one butterfly in the house. They are never here otherwise except..
- my parents came for a visit at Christmas time. Butterfly appeared. Remember it is mid winter. Butterfly stayed until my parents left.
- Remember I said there is only one butterfly?  This year, my aunt passed away after a long illness. It was Angelbaby's anniversary week, so we had our annual butterfly.  Aunty passed on Friday evening,  Saturday morning we woke up and there are 2 butterflies.  It makes me smile to think they found each other - Aunty loved babies, and I know she will keep him safe.

One not related to Angelbaby - m Grandad meet DS (7) as a baby, but died before the others were born. The night I bought DS (3)  home from the hospital, I felt someone sit on the edge of the bed. I reached out, there was no-one there. Whoever or whatever it was stayed there until I said "he's fine, isn't he beautiful? " Whoever it was then left. I am sure it was Grandad checking out the new baby. It wasn't scary at all, it felt peaceful,  and I'm pleased he saw the baby.

Moonie

« Reply #2598 on: August 22, 2014, 03:46:04 PM »
Ellasaunt, that is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing that with us.

gmatoy

« Reply #2599 on: August 22, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
Ellasaunt, that was so touching.

I just read a book that talked about our departed using certain things to reach out to us. One was chimes ringing when there was no wind or in one case...the chimes were laying on a table. I've read in the Guideposts magazine where a bird or a butterfly came  to let the survivor knew that their person was okay.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #2600 on: August 22, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »
Your post was so touching, Ellasaunt.  Thank you for sharing.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #2601 on: August 23, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »
Your post was so touching, Ellasaunt.  Thank you for sharing.

That really was.  It was beautiful. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

mlogica

« Reply #2602 on: September 05, 2014, 12:09:06 PM »
I do have a few stories to share, not as interesting as many in this thread, but the latest has a direct link to ellasaunt's post so it seems to belong here.

BG:  my MIL died very suddenly and unexpectedly about six months ago.  She came home from having lunch and grocery shopping, and collapsed and died in the middle of putting the groceries away.  Most of them were still near the front door when my FIL arrived home several hours later and found her.  Obviously this was a complete shock and the grief in the family is still very raw.  I loved my MIL and there are days I still don't believe she's gone.

ellasaunt's story stayed in my mind, and last week I was thinking about it and wondering what my MIL might leave as a sign.  It occurred to me that she loved roses and that therefore it might be in the form of a rose blooming unexpectedly.  We have a rosebush in our garden that used to be beautiful, but during some construction next door it had a lot of junk dumped on it, and its daylight was blocked, and it got small and stunted.  Last summer we transplanted it to a different spot in the garden.  This year we were relieved to see that it didn't die, but it's still not very big and we had very few flowers, nothing like it used to be.  It's close to the end of the season here, and I figured that was it.

However...either the day after I had that thought about a sign from my MIL, or the day following that, I was in the back yard and noticed a great big bud on the rosebush.  Right at the top of the plant, and in the centre, where I couldn't miss it.  And a couple of days ago, it bloomed.  A lovely, beautiful rose, easily the nicest flower we've seen on that plant for at least a couple of years.  Coincidence?  I have no way to know.  But I choose to think it's my MIL letting us know that she's really still around. :)

gmatoy

« Reply #2603 on: September 05, 2014, 06:35:04 PM »
Ah, that is so sweet! And as a rose enthusiast myself, I had to smile wen I read this!

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2604 on: September 06, 2014, 12:47:40 AM »
My workplace is haunted. This knowledge is common to all my co - workers, and most of us all have stories. I have a few, but the most recent one (from today) is really sticking in my mind.

I was checking auditoriums to clean them today, and I went into the biggest auditorium we have. It's the second - creepiest to me, but I had to check it. Well, I get in there, and there was what I thought was a little kid sitting in there. The movie was long over, and there was nothing on the screen, so I was worried that he'd been abandoned or forgotten.

I called out, "Hello?" No response. I called out, but still no response. Then, the dark form I'd thought was a kid just vanished.

I'm not a distance runner, but you can bet I can sprint out of an auditorium in 5 seconds flat.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2605 on: September 06, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »
Here's a not so scary one, but still odd - who phoned my co-worker today?

I work nights, so there aren't many people in the building. One of the guys in the back came to use my phone to page the manager. The phone rang, Co-worker picked it up, and he heard something like "yes, what is it?". He started to tell the person the problem he was having.

Two seconds later, Manager walked up behind him. Co-worker turned around and saw him and the phone went dead. Poor Co-worker nearly had a heart attack.

So the question remains - if Manager was behind him, who was on the phone? Why didn't they tell Co-worker who they were if they weren't the person he paged? Why did the phone go dead as soon as Manager walked up??
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #2606 on: September 08, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
My dad worked in a hospital for many years and had a number of supernatural experiences there.  Light switches turning off and on by themselves, that sort of thing, as well as seeing a full-body apparition of a woman in pioneer clothing in one of the tunnels.  (Hospital was built on former farm land.)  One time a co-worker had a stroke and passed away not long after.  Apparently two of his other co-workers saw this gentleman's ghost standing in front of a window at the end of a hallway, and when they walked towards him he faded away, then when they turned around he was standing behind them and faded away again.  After the hospital was closed it sat abandoned for a few years and my dad (who had retired) was hired as a night security guard.  One night he gave me a tour and he pointed out a call light above a door that is always on, despite all the call lights being disconnected. 

Anyway, we were standing there in a hallway of the abandoned, haunted hospital late at night when we heard a loud "BANG!!"  Of course I jumped out of my skin .....  my dad looked down at me with disgust and said "IT. WAS. THE. DOOR."   ::)

(The heavy hospital door we just walked through had stuck open then slammed shut on it's own.  Nothing supernatural, unfortunately.  ;D)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2607 on: September 09, 2014, 12:44:55 AM »
One of the eeriest places I've ever been was a newly-built hospital before patients and most of the personnel had moved in.  Most of the hallways were semi-darkened since there were no patients, and it was way too quiet. 

BarensMom

« Reply #2608 on: September 09, 2014, 12:51:46 AM »
My former job was located at a very old refinery, so there were several areas in there that were said to be haunted:

The two admin buildings were haunted by the ghost of a night watchman who would do his rounds without fail.  Several people reported hearing him at regular intervals through the night.  No one ever saw him.  One building was closed post-Loma Prieta and some people said they saw lights in the abandoned building at night.  When Security went to check, the doors and windows were found to be locked tight on the outside.

Somewhere in the hills surrounding the facility is a reputed Native American burial site.  The exact location is kept secret and is only supposed to be known by the head of Security, a few people at U.C., and perhaps the big boss.  Several strange things have been seen in the hills by several people at different times.

There have been deaths and suicides in a few buildings on site.  The janitors and movers were spooked by "something" in those buildings and would refuse to even enter certain areas alone.

Unfortunately (or not), I'm about as sensitive as a brick, so I never saw anything in my time there.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2609 on: September 09, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »
...   Anyway, we were standing there in a hallway of the abandoned, haunted hospital late at night when we heard a loud "BANG!!"  Of course I jumped out of my skin .....  my dad looked down at me with disgust and said "IT. WAS. THE. DOOR."   ::)

(The heavy hospital door we just walked through had stuck open then slammed shut on it's own.  Nothing supernatural, unfortunately.  ;D)

Well, until you went to open the door and found it locked and you couldn't get out!  Then you would have thought it was supernatural!   ;D