News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 02:37:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 881319 times)

Asharah

Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2895 on: November 15, 2017, 10:16:43 PM »
I remember a story here where the OP worked in a toy store and a person brought a toy back because it was "possessed" by the devil. It was some kind of toy garage with a remote and would suddenly activate when the kids weren't playing with it. Op figured it was in the same room with a TV and was reacting to somebody using the TV remote.
Asharah

Sirius

« Reply #2896 on: December 03, 2017, 06:43:07 PM »
There have been several instances lately when I could swear I heard a cat snoring away in my office when I've been playing games on line.  The thing is, Max, my cat with the loud snore, had to be put down at the beginning of October as he was quite old and very ill.  He used to come into my office, curl up on top of the bins of fabric, and snore loud.  I figure if it's him, he came here because he knew that here he was safe and loved.  I'll just let him keep snoozing.  My other cats haven't been in the room when this has been happening.

chi2kcldy

« Reply #2897 on: March 16, 2018, 12:39:49 PM »
A little back story. I had my daughter when I was 16. My father’s side of the family pretty much disowned me. This “disowning” was led by my uncle. He pretty much made the family have nothing to do with me. He was wealthy and held the money over their heads.  He passed when my daughter was 4 years old.

Fast forward to present day 19 years later.

My husband and I went to visit my father and brother. While visiting my brother and husband left to get some boxes. While they were gone my father came across  photos of my uncle and I. This lead my father to talking about the past. We discussed how I felt when my uncle shunned me and how sorry my father was for his family’s behavior. The conversation was emotional and when over we both needed a drink. I agreed to go get some wine.

While driving on the 2-lane road that leaves my father’s property,  I saw my brother and husband driving towards me. We lightly honked our horns to acknowledge each other and kept driving in the opposite direction.

When they got home they were both stunned to see my father sitting on the couch. My husband asked my dad who was in the car with me. He said no one. My brother said there was clearly someone sitting in the front passenger seat. They both thought the person looked liked my dad.

That’s when my dad said that when I was getting into my car he thought he saw someone walking by me. He just assumed it was a shadow. He was not wearing his glasses and I didn’t seem alarmed.

I pulled into the driveway and they all come outside. They tell me what they saw. My father smells inside the car and asks if I sprayed anything. I tell him no and that I do not smell anything. My brother and husband do not smell anything either.

My father is positive that he smells something. Then he goes “it’s Burt. Your uncle wore that cologne all the time and used the soap.” We still smell nothing but come to the conclusion that perhaps my uncle decided  to visit with me. Maybe hearing my father and I talk about him and how I said that I forgive my uncle gave him the peace he needed to come visit.

I wish they would have never said anything because I am really creeped out. I know my uncle wouldn’t harm me but I just feel “off.” 

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2898 on: March 16, 2018, 01:00:01 PM »
A little back story. I had my daughter when I was 16. My father’s side of the family pretty much disowned me. This “disowning” was led by my uncle. He pretty much made the family have nothing to do with me. He was wealthy and held the money over their heads.  He passed when my daughter was 4 years old.

Fast forward to present day 19 years later.

My husband and I went to visit my father and brother. While visiting my brother and husband left to get some boxes. While they were gone my father came across  photos of my uncle and I. This lead my father to talking about the past. We discussed how I felt when my uncle shunned me and how sorry my father was for his family’s behavior. The conversation was emotional and when over we both needed a drink. I agreed to go get some wine.

While driving on the 2-lane road that leaves my father’s property,  I saw my brother and husband driving towards me. We lightly honked our horns to acknowledge each other and kept driving in the opposite direction.

When they got home they were both stunned to see my father sitting on the couch. My husband asked my dad who was in the car with me. He said no one. My brother said there was clearly someone sitting in the front passenger seat. They both thought the person looked liked my dad.

That’s when my dad said that when I was getting into my car he thought he saw someone walking by me. He just assumed it was a shadow. He was not wearing his glasses and I didn’t seem alarmed.

I pulled into the driveway and they all come outside. They tell me what they saw. My father smells inside the car and asks if I sprayed anything. I tell him no and that I do not smell anything. My brother and husband do not smell anything either.

My father is positive that he smells something. Then he goes “it’s Burt. Your uncle wore that cologne all the time and used the soap.” We still smell nothing but come to the conclusion that perhaps my uncle decided  to visit with me. Maybe hearing my father and I talk about him and how I said that I forgive my uncle gave him the peace he needed to come visit.

I wish they would have never said anything because I am really creeped out. I know my uncle wouldn’t harm me but I just feel “off.”

Please don't feel off by your uncle's visit. He didn't just pop by because you were speaking of him, though perhaps offering your forgiveness did.

He came to apologise. Spirits need closure too and if he was stuck because he wronged you, he needed to fix it. Think of it like a spirit 12 step program if you will. You couldn't see or hear him, but he still needed to do it.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Girlie

« Reply #2899 on: March 19, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
I've come to believe that I'm a little sensitive to things on the other side, but not incredibly so, like some people.

That being said, during the time that I was pregnant with my first child, I went through a very dark time. I kept trying to explain to my family that it felt like there was something hanging over my head, something dark that I couldn't identify. I was depressed and angry and paranoid and fearful all the time, and nothing I could do would lift it from me, so I started praying. I prayed that my husband and my child and I would be spared whatever evil was meant for us.

Then our cat died. Randomly, just had a seizure and died. Our dog died the exact same day. I was seven months pregnant, helping my husband dig holes in the Georgia red clay to bury them in. The deaths were totally unrelated physically, but I've always felt like it was a trade - those two gave up their lives for us. Laying in bed that night, amidst the grieving I felt for two of our beloved animals, I felt this incredible lightness. From that day on, the rest of my pregnancy was great - I felt wonderful, I felt happy, and the terrible morning sickness I'd been dealing with for my entire pregnancy (and been on medication for) completely disappeared. It made no sense from a physiological perspective, but that's how it was.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #2900 on: March 21, 2018, 05:23:35 AM »
Girlie, your story gave me chills.

guihong

« Reply #2901 on: March 28, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
Two times, I have "known" songs that I shouldn't have.  The first time came in China, where several of us on our teaching team went to church (there are churches-and beautiful ones-which exist under certain conditions set by the government).  The hymns, of course, were in Chinese but the tunes were familiar.  I knew very, very few words in Chinese.  Out of nowhere, I "knew" the language and began to sing in Chinese  :o.  A couple of people around me stopped and looked in surprise.  That only happened that day.

The second time was last night.  My daughter said, "Mom, listen to this new K-pop (Korean pop music) song!"  I am not, nor do I speak, Korean in any way.  When it came on, I said "I know that!" and "sang" the chorus.  It was DD who went  :o, pointing out that the song hadn't even been widely released yet, so how could I have heard it (much less sang in Korean)?  I have no answer.

It's interesting to me that both instances were in an Asian language, not even one tied to my roots that I might have heard somewhere in childhood. 

rose red

« Reply #2902 on: March 28, 2018, 11:36:44 AM »
Two times, I have "known" songs that I shouldn't have.  The first time came in China, where several of us on our teaching team went to church (there are churches-and beautiful ones-which exist under certain conditions set by the government).  The hymns, of course, were in Chinese but the tunes were familiar.  I knew very, very few words in Chinese.  Out of nowhere, I "knew" the language and began to sing in Chinese  :o.  A couple of people around me stopped and looked in surprise.  That only happened that day.

The second time was last night.  My daughter said, "Mom, listen to this new K-pop (Korean pop music) song!"  I am not, nor do I speak, Korean in any way.  When it came on, I said "I know that!" and "sang" the chorus.  It was DD who went  :o, pointing out that the song hadn't even been widely released yet, so how could I have heard it (much less sang in Korean)?  I have no answer.

It's interesting to me that both instances were in an Asian language, not even one tied to my roots that I might have heard somewhere in childhood.

Sometimes I dream in French and understand perfectly. Sadly and weirdly, the understanding flies out of my head when I wake up.

I don't know French beyond the common stuff you often hear on TV (bonjour, merci, etc.). Never even took a class in school. I think I only watched one or two French films in my life.

Really makes you wonder.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2903 on: April 01, 2018, 11:12:11 AM »
I once dreamed that I was a bard (gender unknown) in Iceland or one of the other far northern European countries and that I was giving a rousing speech (in the local language of a thousand years ago in poetic form) in front of a large group of men...sadly, the details (and the ability to transliterate) of what I was saying fled with the dream.  But I had also been reading a runic inscription earlier...and they (people who study how the human brain works) insists that nobody reads in dreams. 

I read in dreams all the time - that Disney fairy tale thing, where you see the first page of the story, turn the page, see the illustration, and "fall into" the illustration?  Yeah - my brain has been doing that since before I hit puberty (basically from as far back as I can remember - and I have worked at remembering some dreams).  I also dream in color and sometimes in scent (skunk smell accompanies some bad dreams)...sadly, I don't have much of a sense of taste, so sitting at a banquet table in my dreams is only part of what's going on, it's not a great deal of fun to eat a feast without any real flavor....

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

gmatoy

« Reply #2904 on: April 01, 2018, 07:40:56 PM »
I also read in my dreams. Often it is a letter from my brother. . . the one who died when he was 6 and I was 7. I think it is his way of "talking" to me. And his writing got better between the ages of 6 to 10. By then I could read adult letters and that is what he was writing.

After my son was born, my brother wrote to me in a dream, saying he was glad that his nephew shared his birthday. After my DDIL came into the family, my brother wrote in the sand of a beach dream,  teasing me because now I had to share my birthday. Yes, DDIL and I share a birthday also.

Writer of Wrongs

• Mysteries, Thrillers & Whodunits, Oh My!
« Reply #2905 on: April 02, 2018, 01:10:19 PM »
Nobody reads in dreams?! Well then:

I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you - Nobody - too?
Then there's a pair of us!
Don't tell! they'd advertise - you know!

(Emily Dickinson)

I've read books, magazine articles, letters, etc., all of which made perfect sense in my dream, but as I began waking, turned into meaningless jumbles of words.

(Now back to ghost stories.)
Some day, I hope to get paid to kill people. Now, I just do it for fun.

Twik

« Reply #2906 on: April 02, 2018, 01:35:27 PM »
...and they (people who study how the human brain works) insists that nobody reads in dreams. 

I've actually never heard that. Possibly "they" are actually "one small group," since you've just disproved their thesis.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Kaymyth

« Reply #2907 on: April 02, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »
I've heard that, too.

Specifically, after I first heard it, my brain apparently said, "Challenge accepted!" Because that very night I dreamed a vivid dream about spelling out words with (real) Scrabble tiles. I awoke with a clear vision of a bunch of words that started with "w" in my head.

Now, I will allow that maybe this has something to do with language acquisition and how we process the written word, because I learned to read so early that it's tied in with my basic language skills. I literally cannot remember learning how to read.

While I can't look at a word without reading it, but some people struggle to decode, or at least actually have to think about what they're reading in order to comprehend it. It might be that different levels of reading fluency are processed differently in individual brains, and thus this claim is true for some people but not others.

Twik

« Reply #2908 on: April 02, 2018, 04:00:30 PM »
I've heard that, too.

Specifically, after I first heard it, my brain apparently said, "Challenge accepted!" Because that very night I dreamed a vivid dream about spelling out words with (real) Scrabble tiles. I awoke with a clear vision of a bunch of words that started with "w" in my head.

Now, I will allow that maybe this has something to do with language acquisition and how we process the written word, because I learned to read so early that it's tied in with my basic language skills. I literally cannot remember learning how to read.

While I can't look at a word without reading it, but some people struggle to decode, or at least actually have to think about what they're reading in order to comprehend it. It might be that different levels of reading fluency are processed differently in individual brains, and thus this claim is true for some people but not others.
That's hilarious! The brain going "I'm going to prove them wrong, just watch!"

I can't recall reading or trying to read in a dream. But my cousin once told of a nightmare where she was wandering through an abandoned hospital and came across a door with a sign that really weirded her out. So clearly in that dream she read (or at least was able to interpret) a written sign.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2909 on: April 02, 2018, 08:41:05 PM »
I've heard that, too.

That's hilarious! The brain going "I'm going to prove them wrong, just watch!"

I can't recall reading or trying to read in a dream. But my cousin once told of a nightmare where she was wandering through an abandoned hospital and came across a door with a sign that really weirded her out. So clearly in that dream she read (or at least was able to interpret) a written sign.

I learned to read very quickly in first grade using the phonics method that my mother was taught using - my teacher was mentored by the originator of the method...who had been my mother's teacher..which made for an exchange of stories between them when they met...and compared their experience with the originator (whose name I do not recall).  I don't remember not being able to read...so the early language skills in reading hypothesis makes sense.

So does the "challenge accepted" hypothesis...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?