Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 389670 times)

TeamBhakta

Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2340 on: June 24, 2013, 02:44:47 PM »
There was one day at my last job where I was walking between the feront door and the area I worked, I had just let a customer out (our area opened before the rest of the store). I had to pull someone else over to validate what I was smelling. There was about a two foot square area that smelled, inexplicably, like hardboiled eggs. There was NO reason for it, it hadn't smelled like that five minutes beforehand when I walked the last customer out, and it was ONLY in that tiny area.

Maybe it's a sewage problem ? There are two businesses in my town (not close to each other) that perpetually smelled like hardboiled eggs, until their pipes were fixed.

AliciaLynette

« Reply #2341 on: June 24, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »
There was one day at my last job where I was walking between the feront door and the area I worked, I had just let a customer out (our area opened before the rest of the store). I had to pull someone else over to validate what I was smelling. There was about a two foot square area that smelled, inexplicably, like hardboiled eggs. There was NO reason for it, it hadn't smelled like that five minutes beforehand when I walked the last customer out, and it was ONLY in that tiny area.

Maybe it's a sewage problem ? There are two businesses in my town (not close to each other) that perpetually smelled like hardboiled eggs, until their pipes were fixed.

Yeah, it may well be the drains.  Quite often I can smell hardboiled or rotten egg smells when I'm leaning over a sink at home.  It generally means it's time to use Drano or Borax powder and hot water overnight!! 
We used to be able to smell it sometimes in the chem. lab sinks as well, in high school, and one of the teachers said it's usually from detritus that's collected along the pipes.

When it comes to ghostly happenings I've never had any to my knowledge, but sometimes when I'm last to bed, late at night (as happens frequently to me - darn internet timesuck :D) I have a prickly feeling run up my spine as I'm going up the stairs, and the strong feeling that I should not linger on the stairs.  Really spooky, especially since the under-stairs cupboard just contains old newspapers/Xmas decorations/general clutter!
Children are natural mimics; they act like their parents in spite of every effort to teach them good manners.
Author Unknown

BarensMom

« Reply #2342 on: June 25, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »

Yeah, it may well be the drains.  Quite often I can smell hardboiled or rotten egg smells when I'm leaning over a sink at home.  It generally means it's time to use Drano or Borax powder and hot water overnight!! 
We used to be able to smell it sometimes in the chem. lab sinks as well, in high school, and one of the teachers said it's usually from detritus that's collected along the pipes.

When it comes to ghostly happenings I've never had any to my knowledge, but sometimes when I'm last to bed, late at night (as happens frequently to me - darn internet timesuck :D) I have a prickly feeling run up my spine as I'm going up the stairs, and the strong feeling that I should not linger on the stairs.  Really spooky, especially since the under-stairs cupboard just contains old newspapers/Xmas decorations/general clutter!

Depending upon where you happen to be, the hardboiled or rotten egg smell could be indicative of H2S.  If you're near an industrial site, get out of there ASAP. 

cwm

« Reply #2343 on: June 25, 2013, 10:51:47 AM »
No industrial site, no running water or pipes except ones that were on the other side of several walls, it was only that TINY space not near a door, and it passed within a few minutes.

At a friend's house, they had a ghost on the bottom of the stairs. There was nothing different about the last two stairs, but guests at the house would always stumble. Even if you took your time and placed your feet very carefully, you'd feel like someone was pushing you and lose your footing.

There was always a spirit on my stairs to the basement and in the kitchen growing up, and she was mean. I'd feel phantom hands trying to push me down the stairs, or chasing me when I was going up, trying to grab me.

Our kitchen was originally a breezeway, and the dining room was originally the kitchen. The staircase to the basement went from a little square "mud room" that originally came from the breezeway to the kitchen, but now it's just this little square of space. There's a hole in the wall between the dining room and kitchen. It used to be an actual window, but now it's just this lined square that you can see through and pass things through. It's about two feet square. Because of that, you can see into the kitchen from the living room. Sometimes I'd see knives floating across from the back of the kitchen to the front where the sink was. Not like they were being thrown, but more like they were on a reel of paper being floated across the window constantly looped. We didn't even own that many knives at the time.

Another time I was washing the dishes and looked down. I could see those same knives going through me and could feel this incredible hatred and rage for some reason. I put my arms into the water and could feel this female behind me, she had been the one making the knives come after me, and she wanted me to break a plate and cut my wrists. I could see myself doing it, except then I had a different face and hair, and I knew it was her.

Like I said, she was mean.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2344 on: June 26, 2013, 05:50:42 AM »
I've had that happen, but it was never scary. I'd just hear about a second of voices (think a 1-second snippet of a crowded cocktail party), or maybe a voice I didn't recognize calling/saying my name (but nothing else).

I figure if there were anything in the house, the dog and/or cats would have alerted me by now.
I get those voices almost nightly. They're called Hypnogogic Hallucinations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia#Sounds

It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Aunt Reetz

« Reply #2345 on: July 08, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
Ok, I've enjoyed this thread and everyone seems so normal.........

As far back as 4-ish years old I have seen people that I knew were dead.....as in I could see my cousins who had been in a crash between a train and their car out the window at night.  They would keep trying to get me to go outside to play with them, but I was terrified of the man standing in the background.  The really weird thing is my sister who was in the same room looking out the same window didn't see anything.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2346 on: July 08, 2013, 12:11:57 PM »
I haven't posted here for quite a while, but I experienced something at Gettysburg, at an inn, that I have to relate.

It was the Tillie Pierce Inn, a home that was there during the battle, and like every other building at that time was used as a hospital and by sharpshooters (from the attic). It has a reputation of being haunted, so my son and I had to stay there!  :)

We were the only ones there at the time, and the employees do not stay on site. We had a back room, away from street noise, so it was very quiet. We kept the TV/radio off so as not to miss anything. About 11 pm one night we heard a door down the hall shut. It was definitely a door, and from experience we knew that you had to make an effort to shut the doors (not movement just by vibration). Then there were the heavy footsteps in the attic, which happened several times. Our last day there, we were awoken at 6 am by a loud bang and footsteps in the attic directly above us. The bang was very loud - as if someone dropped a bowling ball.

The attic had seen a lot of activity during the battle because it had windows. Soldiers from both sides used these windows to take aim at the battlefield that was close by.

Many paranormal org's have done investigations at this house, and very few are disappointed. And, yes, I am going back!

Dawse

« Reply #2347 on: July 12, 2013, 10:09:33 AM »
Well, I've finally made it to the end of the thread - and what a thread it is  ;D

I could write essays for you on the various things we've seen/heard/smelt etc in my family. Pretty much my whole family is sensitive to varying degress; both parents, my brother, my uncle and cousins on mum's side, and me - although I don't seem to have it very strongly, about which I tend to alternate between relieved and mildly disappointed ::)

Three brief ones for you all:

Story the first, from my dad. He tells a story of driving home one evening, late, dark, misty, winter's night, when he drove through a horse and cart. He says it just appeared right in front of him, and before he could react he'd already come out the other side. While probably attributable to a trick of the light and weather, my dad's not prone to flights of fancy, and the area of the country my parents live has something of a reputation for ghostly goings on.

Story the second. My cousin studied aviation at university, and is qualified as an airline pilot. When he was staying somewhere whilst racking up some flying experience, he used to regularly hear two sets of footsteps on a gravel path go past his ground floor window and carry on. Not so odd - except he suddenly realised one day that the paths were all paved. Upon making some enquiries, he found out that where he was staying was a converted barracks for airmen, and there used to be two buildings further on down the field that were pulled down sometime after the war. Possibly explicable, but the airfield was reputed to be haunted.

Story the third. My grandma passed away May last year, after a long period of ill health. We all made the journey for the funeral, and I stayed in my grandparent's house. Very early one morning (I forget if it was the day of the funeral or the day before), about four am just as it was getting light, something woke me up. I raised myself half up to check the time and turn over - and froze in surprise. My grandma was standing about eight feet from me, facing me, pretty much in the door. She didn't seem to see me - she was stood and seemed to be washing her hands in a sink I couldn't see. As I watched she sort of faded until the door was just the door again. Now, it could have any number of mundane explanations, but I was pretty awake by the time I noticed her and given the family propensity for psychic ability, I'm inclined to think not.

I'll post some more for you when I have time  :)
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

cwm

« Reply #2348 on: July 12, 2013, 11:20:46 AM »
Sis just called me. She's over at mom's house with Sproglet today. They're out on the front porch, but the screen door is closed. Sproglet was minding her own business, throwing the ball into the yard, then back up onto the porch, then into the yard, back and forth. Then she stood up next to the porch and screamed "NO!" and threw the ball AT the screen door, then said "Okay," when the ball came back to her. She did that a few times. Sis thought she might be playing with the dog, who frequently stands at the screen door when people are outside.

Sis looked at the door, dog wasn't there. Sis looked at Sproglet. Sprogled looked at sis and said "Oh, hi mommy." Then looked back at the door, at the level that an adult's head would be if they were standing inside the door and said "Go away!"

Yes, I know my house is haunted by something that's perfectly nice. It may well be my great grandfather. But Sproglet doesn't know whoever this is, and obviously doesn't want to be bothered by it. I told Sis to ask nicely that it go away and please stay out of sight while they're there so they don't bother Sproglet anymore. I don't think it would be a problem for the visiting spirits at all.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2349 on: July 14, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
I really don't know what this was but it's kind of freaking me out a bit.  I am watching TV and can see a section of the living room and the opening where the stairs start at the same time.  All of a sudden this small black streak went by on the ground across the section of living room and towards the stairs.  My first thought was it must have been our small black cat except I remembered right after that all the cats were outside, and even what went across the floor was even smaller than her, and FAST.  I got up and went up the stairs and nothing is there, unless it went under the bed.  I really hope we do not have a huge rodent of some kind but really it just didn't look like anything in particular.  I really wish I was not home alone right now.  I've never seen anything like it before here.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2350 on: July 14, 2013, 12:32:42 AM »
My first thought would be that it is some kind of rodent if it happened to me.  They are part of nature and do live around us even if we don't know they are there.  Sometimes they make their way into our homes.  When new neighbors tore out the foliage that had grown up onto our wooden fence, completely covering it and making a beautiful natural boundary, I was shocked to find a rat in the yard.  His home had been destroyed and he was then out in the open.  I had no idea we had any rats in the neighborhood at all. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2351 on: July 14, 2013, 12:48:25 AM »
Yeah, we have rats in the neighborhood and bunnies, but this was not a rat or it was the biggest rat in history and looked nothing like a bunny.  Honestly it moved so fast the best description of an animal would be a ferret size/shape.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2352 on: July 16, 2013, 07:02:26 PM »
Story the second. My cousin studied aviation at university, and is qualified as an airline pilot. When he was staying somewhere whilst racking up some flying experience, he used to regularly hear two sets of footsteps on a gravel path go past his ground floor window and carry on. Not so odd - except he suddenly realised one day that the paths were all paved. Upon making some enquiries, he found out that where he was staying was a converted barracks for airmen, and there used to be two buildings further on down the field that were pulled down sometime after the war. Possibly explicable, but the airfield was reputed to be haunted.

This confirms Rod Serling was onto something with his haunted military episodes of the Twilight Zone  8)

I was walking a city owned hiking trail yesterday, on what used to be military land. I was taking pictures of the leftover old military buildings in the woods. There was some strong energy there. It definitely didn't feel like just plain old empty buildings.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2353 on: July 16, 2013, 08:58:01 PM »
There are definitely haunted officers' quarters at Fort Leavenworth. I'm told that there is no shortage of officers volunteering to take them, perhaps because they want a ghost encounter, or perhaps because they don't believe in ghosts and want to live in a historical building.  The buildings are among the oldest on post.

This confirms Rod Serling was onto something with his haunted military episodes of the Twilight Zone  8)

I was walking a city owned hiking trail yesterday, on what used to be military land. I was taking pictures of the leftover old military buildings in the woods. There was some strong energy there. It definitely didn't feel like just plain old empty buildings.

Cherry91

« Reply #2354 on: August 02, 2013, 07:12:53 AM »
I seem to have a little "friend" who likes to help me out.

I have a terrible habit of dropping/putting down things I use regularly (my phone, my keys, my cards) and then not being able to find them again. This can be quite stressful, especially if I need them because I need to leave soon or something.

On multiple occasions, I've sat down in the middle of my room and said "I really need my key/card/phone/etc, please help" and then within 30 seconds, I find it, even though it was definitely, without a doubt 100% NOT there before. And it's often in a spot in wouldn't naturally be placed or fall.

The most interesting thing is, this has occurred in multiple places we've lived, so it's not the house...