Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 403620 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2370 on: August 08, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »
This is not a ghost, this is the Little People.
If you tell them firmly that you need something back, and ask them to return it they will...but rarely to the location it was in.
And they will simultaneously take something else. If you're lucky, it will be something you don't need right away, and you will find it on your own later, or never realize it's missing.

Little People?  And what's the difference between them and ghosts?  I've never heard the term before so I'm curious.

The main difference is that "little people" were never humans, unlike "ghosts".

They're a kind of spirit creature - wise but mischievous.  I think.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:01:41 AM by RingTailedLemur »

cwm

« Reply #2371 on: August 08, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
Growing up, I was used to lights, the back of the house I grew up in backs up against a parking lot and then to a major street. Police would park in that lot or the one next door for speed traps, so flashing moving lights was never worrying to me. But I have to explain how the bedrooms on this house are set up so you can understand what's so weird.

Three bedrooms, side by side, on the north side of the house. Mine was the furthest east. Mine was at the end of the hallway. Open my bedroom door,  you've got closet on the right, bathroom on the left, corner in the hallway a bit in front of me, then the hallway turned west. Next bedroom opened straight into hallway across from the big doorway to the living room. Third bedroom opened straight onto the western end of the hallway. And the south side of the house was on a tiny horseshoe residential street, NOBODY went on that street at night unless they needed to.

So I got up from my bed one night to go to the bathroom. I saw a light bobbing along the hallway. Which was around the corner from the nearest window, and it's the window that never gets any light anyway. Curious, I follow it. It literally bobbed along the ceiling like a balloon until it got to my parents' room, the furthest west. It went through their door, then came back and bobbed its way back to my room before it disappeared.

There is no way any outside light source could do that. Nobody else was awake. And that was the only time anyone in my house saw the ball of light. Plenty of other things going on, but nothing ever like that again.

Curious Cat

« Reply #2372 on: August 08, 2013, 11:23:57 AM »
If you tell them firmly that you need something back, and ask them to return it they will...but rarely to the location it was in.
And they will simultaneously take something else. If you're lucky, it will be something you don't need right away, and you will find it on your own later, or never realize it's missing.

Little People?  And what's the difference between them and ghosts?  I've never heard the term before so I'm curious.

The main difference is that "little people" were never humans, unlike "ghosts".

They're a kind of spirit creature - wise but mischievous.  I think.

I always thought it was just another term for the fae or fairies.

I have started doing that though and I'd say I've had 99% success rating. I make sure to pour some milk or leave a cookie outside as "thanks" just in case.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2373 on: August 08, 2013, 03:43:32 PM »
The most I've ever had in that regard was having the bed jiggle as if the cats have jumped up on it when they haven't. It amuses me that the ghost cat is apparently just as heavy as my 20+ lb kitty.
My ghost cat also shook the bed when he jumped up.  And again, a cat that when living weighed 15-20 pounds.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2374 on: August 09, 2013, 05:49:29 PM »
My parents were visiting relatives and were told this story by my cousin (I was not along for the trip). Cousin worked at a hotel where several adults and children died in a horrible accident  (intentionally being vague here).  This accident happened over 20 years before Cousin or I were born. Apparently Cousin's 3 year old, unprompted, started seeing ghosts around the hotel. Sometimes he saw a little girl ghost. Other times he'd randomly look up and tell Cousin that adult ghosts had just entered whatever room they were in. The area of the hotel where many children died is where he sees large numbers of kid ghosts  :o At bed time he'd say there were dead ghost kids laying across the next bed; Cousin would tell him "Let's just let them sleep"

Cherry91

« Reply #2375 on: August 10, 2013, 05:12:49 AM »
This one happened to my neighbours, not to me, but they told my mother about it and showed her the picture:

My neighbours went for a weekend break at a historic house a few hours away. They were given a gorgeous room and were so thrilled with it that they took several photos, including one of the wife sitting on the ornate four poster bed.

This was before almost everyone had digital cameras, so my neighbours took their cameras film to be developed, and when they got it back, they noticed that in the photo of the wife sitting on the bed, there was a grey face floating at the top of the photo, high above the bed.

They originally thought the face had come from another photo, but when they examined all the photos, they couldn't find any that the face could have come from, so they got a friend to check the negative, and sure enough, the face was on the negative as well!

Jocelyn

« Reply #2376 on: August 11, 2013, 06:05:57 PM »

The Little People are sometimes known as leprechauns, fairies, or pixies. They are non-humans, but alive, rather than spirits of the departed. They are mischievous, and from their point of view, they're only playing a little joke. When you speak to them seriously and firmly, though, they realize that you aren't amused, and they'll give the item back. Ever had a time when you found something you'd lost, in a completely illogical place, or in a place you'd already searched? It's the Little People. I'm sure they get no end of amusement, putting your car keys in the freezer, or back into your jacket pocket after you've checked for them there. :)

Jocelyn

« Reply #2377 on: August 11, 2013, 06:11:14 PM »
The most I've ever had in that regard was having the bed jiggle as if the cats have jumped up on it when they haven't. It amuses me that the ghost cat is apparently just as heavy as my 20+ lb kitty.
My ghost cat also shook the bed when he jumped up.  And again, a cat that when living weighed 15-20 pounds.
There is a hotel in a resort area my sister likes to visit, that has long had ghosts. When she first went there, the owners had a cat who would interact with the ghosts...they'd see him stropping up against invisible ankles. The owners said that they figured if the cat liked them, the ghosts must be good spirits. Then the cat died...and now they feel him rubbing up against their ankles, and can see sits-marks in his usual favorite spots. Again, no problem- they don't mind the cat hanging around.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2378 on: August 11, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »
I've had two of my own cats come back to say goodbye after they've passed.

Max jumped up on the bed and curled up against my leg.  The other cats were already present - I could see them, but although I felt Max, I couldn't see him.  It was daylight at the time.

Dear little Milly occasionally comes into my bed too - rather than settle down though she paws at my pillow.  When this has happened, I know where the dogs and the other cats are, and it's a very distinctive feeling, as the pillow actually moves while it's happening.  I can't see her, either.

It's very comforting when the beloved furries come to visit.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2379 on: August 11, 2013, 09:10:13 PM »
Dinah Cat loved to play with a brass bell on the Christmas tree. The Christmas after she went to the Bridge, her sister Coraco was sitting on my lap, and we heard the bell ring. Coraco stared at the tree, then snapped her head back to me as if to say, 'Did you see that?' There was nothing going on that would explain the bell ringing. That happened several times over the years, the last time being after we moved to a different home. Dinah just wanted to let me know she was still keeping track of us! :)

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #2380 on: September 18, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »
I thought the readers of this thread would enjoy watching this from the local public televion station: http://www.ktwu.org/plainspirits/

cwm

« Reply #2381 on: September 18, 2013, 01:38:06 PM »
Sis and mom and I went to the Belvoir winery this past weekend. It's in an old orphanage, and on the grounds are two "retirement homes" and a hospital as well, all from the early 1900s. Mom was in one of the rooms of the orphanage part that's open to the public and someone tugged on her purse.

There's another building on the grounds, looks like it could have been part of a barn or storage, but it burned down. I went in to get some pictures and there some truly horriffic vibes being given off. I got a few shots then got out of there, didn't even want to go back near it. The retirement homes were a little better, but not much. I couldn't get too close to them because they're old and crumbling and full of asbestos.

I know they offer ghost investigations throughout the year, and next year mom and sis want to go back as a family to participate in one of those. It would be fun, I'm not going to lie, and I'd love to see more of the main building, but after all the oogy feelings I got, I'll have to see when it gets closer to decision time.

Redwing

« Reply #2382 on: September 18, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »
About 3 1/2 years ago, we had to say good-bye to our beloved dog, Gracie.  We grieved her loss and since she's been gone, we've discussed whether or not we wanted to get another dog.  I went back and forth on the subject.  On Saturday, we went to an adoption event and a 5 month old Shepard/Viszla mix looked at me with his big brown eyes and what can I say, I was hooked.  So we brought him home and now Rudy is becoming part of the family. 

Early this morning, about 5 a.m., I woke up as usual.  As my eyes began to open, I could see Gracie sitting on my bed looking at me.  Rudy resembles Gracie very much and I thought it might be him, but I "knew" it wasn't.  And he was lying on the floor next to my bed.  As my eyes began to focus, Gracie's form faded very slowly.

I can't help but feel she came to tell us she was glad we had another dog.

Eeep!

« Reply #2383 on: September 18, 2013, 02:43:15 PM »
About 3 1/2 years ago, we had to say good-bye to our beloved dog, Gracie.  We grieved her loss and since she's been gone, we've discussed whether or not we wanted to get another dog.  I went back and forth on the subject.  On Saturday, we went to an adoption event and a 5 month old Shepard/Viszla mix looked at me with his big brown eyes and what can I say, I was hooked.  So we brought him home and now Rudy is becoming part of the family. 

Early this morning, about 5 a.m., I woke up as usual.  As my eyes began to open, I could see Gracie sitting on my bed looking at me.  Rudy resembles Gracie very much and I thought it might be him, but I "knew" it wasn't.  And he was lying on the floor next to my bed.  As my eyes began to focus, Gracie's form faded very slowly.

I can't help but feel she came to tell us she was glad we had another dog.

Sweet girl.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

TeamBhakta

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:30:21 PM by TeamBhakta »