News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 01, 2016, 01:29:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 507096 times)

Yvaine

Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #2400 on: September 24, 2013, 03:06:05 PM »
Dazi, I think an anonymous phone call to the authorities that "there is a war criminal living at 123 Elm Street" would not be out of order.

And potentially ruin the life of an innocent man if the info is mistaken? That's assuming the police can be convinced, of course.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #2401 on: September 24, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »
Dazi, I think an anonymous phone call to the authorities that "there is a war criminal living at 123 Elm Street" would not be out of order.

And potentially ruin the life of an innocent man if the info is mistaken? That's assuming the police can be convinced, of course.

Exactly. violinp and I have suspicions about the ghosts in our house (about stuff they did when they were alive), but we don't dare tell anyone, because police can't act on a person's tale of "ghosts". Not to mention if you say voices have told you things or you've seen XYZ, the police will generally call for the people in white coats.

Vita brevis, ars longa

SlitherHiss

« Reply #2402 on: September 24, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »

ica171, you meant that to be a joke, right? Because that's startlingly bad advice. Listen to your instincts/guardians/spirits all you want, but accusations shouldn't be made lightly.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #2403 on: September 24, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »

Yeah, the "evidence" here is extremely flimsy at best, and I really doubt anybody at the police station is going to take "Hello, I'd like to report a war criminal living at 123 Elm Street- a ghost hijacked my workout app and told me; also, his house gives me the hinkies" very seriously.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #2404 on: September 24, 2013, 03:30:58 PM »
And if he does murder someone else? And if he is a war criminal? I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I knew and didn't say anything and someone else's life was ruined/ended. The police would investigate. If they didn't find any supporting evidence, they're not going to arrest him because of one anonymous call.

Yvaine

« Reply #2405 on: September 24, 2013, 03:38:47 PM »
And if he does murder someone else? And if he is a war criminal? I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I knew and didn't say anything and someone else's life was ruined/ended. The police would investigate. If they didn't find any supporting evidence, they're not going to arrest him because of one anonymous call.

And if he's just some guy, and someone gets overzealous and sends in a SWAT team with guns blazing...?

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #2406 on: September 24, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »

And if he's just some guy, and someone gets overzealous and sends in a SWAT team with guns blazing...?

I think the odds that the police would use the resources (and risk the lawsuit) to send in a SWAT team based on one anonymous phone call, without doing any more verification, are very, very slim. But this is getting off topic now, so I'll leave it alone.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2407 on: September 24, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »

The police aren't going to investigate very seriously. He isn't a war criminal in the US. If he isn't officially wanted in his country of origin, they won't do diddly squat. He may be unofficially wanted, he may have moved here to avoid repercussions, but the police can't arrest him for that.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

SlitherHiss

« Reply #2408 on: September 24, 2013, 03:52:31 PM »
I have to ask, ica171, have you ever been accused of a serious crime? Because someone dear to me has, also on a flimsy accusation, and it led to a whole mess of trouble until they determined that the accusation was entirely baseless. There's no arrest without concrete evidence, but there can sure be questioning. You do not accuse people of crimes without the slightest shred of evidence. You just don't. Even anonymously.

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2409 on: September 24, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »
Edited to say - pod to SlitherHiss. Baseless accusations is serious business, specially of things like murder and war crimes.

thedudeabides

« Reply #2410 on: September 24, 2013, 04:06:46 PM »
Please do not report someone as a war criminal based on the evidence of a spirit. Just don't. I mean, unless you intend to leave some duty officer somewhere wondering if the moon is full. Even if they didn't dismiss it out of hand, that gives them almost no actual information to go on and it would be incredibly difficult to prove. I mean, as near as I can tell, your allegation is, "He's new in town, he's black and the ghost told me he was a war criminal in the Congo 15 years ago." At best, you're going to come across looking racist; at worst, crazy and racist.

TheBardess

• I would not, could not with a goat...
    • Books in My Head
« Reply #2411 on: September 24, 2013, 04:30:19 PM »

Knew what? Nobody here knows anything. All anybody (including Dazi herself) "knows" is that the house gives her a creepy feeling and that she believes she heard a voice telling her this particular man is a war criminal. That is not evidence. That is not even a hunch. It certainly does not give anybody any kind of "knowledge" about this man or his past. It definitely doesn't give enough information to warrant jumping to the wild "ZOMG, WAR CRIMINAL, MASS MURDERER, DANGER!!!!!" assumptions that are being made about this guy, much less provide enough information to merit a call to the police. Dazi hasn't even spoken to him- for all she "knows," he isn't even from the Congo. The only concrete knowledge anybody here possesses is that he's a dark-complexioned man who is new in town. Seriously, you cannot accuse somebody of a crime (especially a serious one, like being a war criminal) on the basis of anything in this discussion. You just can't. Doing so- even suggesting doing so- is wildly irresponsible. Honestly, how would that conversation even go? "Yes, I suspect that the man living at X address is a war criminal, or at least, that he killed some people over a decade ago during the civil war in the Congo. Why? Oh, a ghost hijacked my iPod and told me." They're not going to take that seriously.
"Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies DO divert me, I own- and I laugh at them whenever I can." -Jane Austen

Literary Adventures! http://thebooksinmyhead.blogspot.com

Olympia

« Reply #2412 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »
And if he does murder someone else? And if he is a war criminal?

Since there's no evidence that he is a war criminal, or if he's going to murder someone, I think she's fine not to make crank calls to the police.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #2413 on: September 24, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »
And if he does murder someone else? And if he is a war criminal?

Since there's no evidence that he is a war criminal, or if he's going to murder someone, I think she's fine not to make crank calls to the police.

And even if he is a war criminal the chances of him murdering someone else now is pretty slim - as I am sure Dazi doesn't live in a war zone. So the "what if he hurts someone else" isn't really an issue.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2414 on: September 24, 2013, 05:20:51 PM »
Let me just say I have no intention of reporting this man unless he does something concrete here.  I don't want to be labeled as some crazy person by the police. 

Chances are nothing could be done here any way.

ETA
I should let y'all know I did speak to a police officer I once knew about a series of murder cases.  He thought I was having some sort of breakdown even though everything I told him turned out to be correct...and this was someone I was friendly with.  He never looked at me the same again and was worried what I might pick up from him.   

ETA again
Also, even though he may have killed, that does not necessary make him a war criminal.  He seems young, maybe late 20s or early 30s, so he would have most likely been a teenager at the time.  I can't label someone based on the say so of a ghost.  He wants to haunt him as payback and if that's good enough for him, then it's good enough for me. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:56:06 PM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah