Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 403951 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« on: February 11, 2008, 06:46:50 PM »
My brother is a real estate appraiser. As such, he's always going out to properties to take measurements, assess value, and take pictures. Recently he went to an older house in St. Paul, built some time in the 1920s. The house is vacant. As he was taking pictures, he noticed one that came out with what appeared to be white smoke in it. This is a common theme when people discuss having possibly photographed a ghost, but my brother knows there are usually logical explanations for it. He took another picture of the same area, and the smoke was gone. It was not his finger or his breath (it was quite cold). When he went home to download the pictures, he discovered that his memory card would no longer work. None of the pictures could be retrieved.

He went back to the house the next day to take pictures again, and in the room where the ghostly smoke had been, he was unable to get a clear shot despite several attempts. He had no trouble taking pictures in the other rooms.

Explainable? Probably. But T thinks that maybe, just maybe, the house has a shy ghost living in it.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
My brother is a real estate appraiser. As such, he's always going out to properties to take measurements, assess value, and take pictures. Recently he went to an older house in St. Paul, built some time in the 1920s. The house is vacant. As he was taking pictures, he noticed one that came out with what appeared to be white smoke in it. This is a common theme when people discuss having possibly photographed a ghost, but my brother knows there are usually logical explanations for it. He took another picture of the same area, and the smoke was gone. It was not his finger or his breath (it was quite cold). When he went home to download the pictures, he discovered that his memory card would no longer work. None of the pictures could be retrieved.

He went back to the house the next day to take pictures again, and in the room where the ghostly smoke had been, he was unable to get a clear shot despite several attempts. He had no trouble taking pictures in the other rooms.

Explainable? Probably. But T thinks that maybe, just maybe, the house has a shy ghost living in it.

Thanks for the story. Important elements of a haunting (whether intelligent or residual) are there: no explanation for the smoke, batteries being drained, and the inability to take a picture in a certain spot. We once saw a similar thing at a remote cemetery. It was early evening and a pillar of smoke - about the heighth of a human and about as wide - floated from the other side of the graveyard. It was the most solid in the middle, wispy at the top and bottom. It tilted forward a bit, like a person would when running. There was no smoke from a fire, no clouds, no explanation.

Tell your brother to take a digital recorder next time he suspects something. EVPs are easy to get and sometimes you hear things that are amazing. He can ask a few questions and just leave it running for awhile.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 07:24:55 PM »
OP, I hope it's okay if I put my alien sighting on your thread. It's in the same ball park - unexplained things.

A few summers ago, DS (then in jr. high) and I were driving to our lake house in northcentral Florida. The roads in this area are twisty and can be very remote. I definitely don't like to drive them at night!

It was early evening and things were still very clear. We crested a hill and as we came down we saw a...thing...standing in the road. I slowed down because it didn't move. It was not human OR animal. It didn't remotely resemble Bigfoot. It was about 5-6 ft tall, with a silvery body that seemed to be very fine, flat fur - at least there were no identifiable body parts (and no clothes). There were no ears, no hair on the head, and only a slit for a mouth. The eyes were almond-shaped and completely glowing yellow, even with daylight.

It was in midstep when it turned and looked at us. I slowed to a stop and didn't know what to do. It finally turned around and darted into the woods - so quickly it was a blur. No way could a human run so fast. DS and I didn't speak for a few minutes because I wasn't sure if I were seeing things that weren't there. But DS saw it, too.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:29:20 PM »
Not to hijack, but my uncle's story.

My uncle basically lives in the middle of nowhere, VERY northern, MN.  He's also never had a drink in his life.

He swears to god that when he was about 22 years old, some'thing' knocked on his door around 3am.  He claims it was a small, grayish greenish man with huge eyes, no nose and a slit for a mouth.  He says that he looked at it, ran back to his room to get a gun, and when he came back it was gone.  According to family lore, there were 2 other sightings of a creature very similar the same night.  I've searched the papers at the library and the internet, but I've never found a thing. 

Then there is my aunt's supposed encounter with Bigfoot at age 3..........

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 09:53:38 PM »

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 10:33:29 PM »
OP, I hope it's okay if I put my alien sighting on your thread. It's in the same ball park - unexplained things.

A few summers ago, DS (then in jr. high) and I were driving to our lake house in northcentral Florida. The roads in this area are twisty and can be very remote. I definitely don't like to drive them at night!

It was early evening and things were still very clear. We crested a hill and as we came down we saw a...thing...standing in the road. I slowed down because it didn't move. It was not human OR animal. It didn't remotely resemble Bigfoot. It was about 5-6 ft tall, with a silvery body that seemed to be very fine, flat fur - at least there were no identifiable body parts (and no clothes). There were no ears, no hair on the head, and only a slit for a mouth. The eyes were almond-shaped and completely glowing yellow, even with daylight.

It was in midstep when it turned and looked at us. I slowed to a stop and didn't know what to do. It finally turned around and darted into the woods - so quickly it was a blur. No way could a human run so fast. DS and I didn't speak for a few minutes because I wasn't sure if I were seeing things that weren't there. But DS saw it, too.

Don't y'all have the skunkape down there?

Warbaby

• "Duty, Honor, Country"
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 11:04:28 PM »
Ladies, did y'all really have to make the hair on this old man's head stand straight up?

Never saw the ghost, but heard him/her walk through a house.  Had flour spread on the floor where someone would have had to walk.  No footprints. 

Cuz and I beat feet out of there even though both of us were armed!
"May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live." - R. Heinlein

CyberKat

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 05:09:35 AM »
I gotta add to this.

When my sister was very small (3-4 years or so), she wanted to sleep in my mum's bed one night. My mum was sleeping in the living room due to our apartment being tiny. She said she was scared, but couldn't explain why.

She cuddled up with my mum, and my mum was just about to fall asleep when my sister whispered "Mum? Do you see them too?"
My mum froze, and looked around but couldn't see anything. She asked my sister what she was seeing, and my sister said that some weird white people were standing around the bed and looking at them. My mum, scared out of her wits, told her that it was nothing, and to go to sleep.
BTW my sister never lies, and she was too small to have given the concept of ghosts much thought, so we're sure this wasn't a prank or anything.

Then, a few years ago, my mum bought an old house, which she shared with her sister + sister's husband, our aunt and uncle. I am living with my fiancÚ, so my mother's half of the house is only occupied by her, my sister who's 11 at the time, and my brother who's 14.
There's several things wrong with this house. One of the rooms seriously need renovation, but the previous owners never got around to it. Not in the TEN years they lived there. And for the first year, my mum, aunt and uncle couldn't seem to figure out what to do about the room, no matter how many plans they tried to make for it.

They would also have meetings about the renovation of the house, but if they had the meeting in my aunt's side of the house, it would ALWAYS end in fights and disagreements. Nothing would get done. There was a corner of the room that was always really cold, no matter how hot it was outside (they thought it was maybe a broken window, but couldn't find any places that the wind could get in)
Also, in one room, where I'd sleep when I was visiting, I always slept really badly, and often had nightmares.

Anyway, everyone was getting on each other's nerves, and then my sister started seeing things. First, she freaked out because she heard an old, grumpy man mumbling in the empty room. He sounded angry and at first she thought it was the TV but when she checked, none of their TVs were on.

Later, she was looking in a mirror, and in the mirror, she saw several white, fog-like things walking past outside the window behind her. She spun around but couldn't see anything.

After a while, my sister was getting pretty hysterical, and wanted to move away, and she refused to be alone, or near the empty room. She also said that she felt that someone was looking at her through the windows, when it was dark. My mum and I were always really sensible and down to earth, and never really believed in ghosts as such, but my aunt decided to have a medium visiting. They didn't tell her ANYTHING about their issues, only that they would like her to check the house out.

The woman got goosebumps the minute she stepped inside the house (My mum noticed this) and then proceeded to walk around the entire house. In the cold corner of the living room, a little girl had drowned. In the empty room, an old man refused to let anyone change his house. And around the house, a group of people were walking around, possibly looking for the drowned girl. This is what she said, WITHOUT having heard about what my sister saw!

We were all quite freaked out, I tell you! But she told them all to leave, and then came back 2 weeks later to make sure everything was gone, and it was. The house has been fine ever since, except my aunt and uncle are getting divorced (unrelated reasons) so they need to sell the house. But nothing bad has been happening, and my sister haven't seen anything. (Note: My sister wasn't told that the medium had been there until a few months later, but in those months, she hadn't been complaining about the ghosts at all)

Also, my mum thought it was weird that a girl had drowned, because there's NO water nearby. She asked their neighbor, who runs a small museum, and he told her that the stream of water running the mill used to go right thought their house, 80-90 years ago  :o

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 08:32:25 AM »
Jaxsue, didn't you about pee your pants? :o

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/02/11/funny-pictures-pleez-tell-me-you-see-dem-too/

Yes, I did. It was surreal. I thought I must be imagining things. But DS saw it, too.

Thanks for the link. Creepy picture. But the posts....wow...does this pass for intelligent communication nowadays?  :'(

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 08:38:28 AM »

Don't y'all have the skunkape down there?

Yes, there is the skunk ape. This didn't resemble that at all. I'd prefer it did, because then I could have others verifying my experience (besides DS). Its head was longish but thin. It was the eyes that were the most eerie. They were very large and completely, glowing yellow.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 08:39:40 AM »
CyberKat - Loved the story. I have no trouble believing it. The haunting can predate the house, and a tragic death can cause a haunting.

G'sMom

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 09:55:19 AM »
I have a similiar story to cyberkat's.  Years ago my grandmother lost one of her toddler children in a fire in the house she currently lives in (it used to be a three story and the top was leveled, since the majority of the damage was there and that was where the child perished). It's an old fashioned multi family tenement and the second floor has a set of stairs that stop partway up before it's sealed off (it would have gone to third floor). Well, when I was around 6 or 7 I remember going into the back hallway on the first floor and looking up the stairs that wind up to the second floor and around to what's left of the third. I remember seeing a child in those footie pajamas, looking over the bannister at me. No one was living on the second floor at the time.  I went and asked my grandmother who was living up there. She said no one yet. I asked her "what about the little boy I saw?" and she asked me what I was talking about. I described him and the pajamas he was wearing, and she got sheet white, collapsed in a chair, did the sign of the cross, and told me to never speak of it to anyone again and to go to my room. Years later I found out about what happened to her son in the fire. My hair stills goes up thinking about it.

spiffy

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 01:22:40 PM »
Here is my alien story.

More than 10 years ago, ODD's father and I were out taking a walk to a playground near our house in the evening.  It was about 9pm, the sky was dark.  We were sitting on the swings talking.  I looked up and saw a group of bright lights.  It hovered in the sky for a good 3 minutes and took off - FAST.  Faster than anything I'd ever seen before.  We looked at each other, ran home, got ODD out of her crib and hid under the covers. 

On hindsight if something were coming to 'get us' I doubt very much the covers would have offered much protection....

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »
Does anyone else have the X-Files theme song running through their head?

And...."the truth is out there"

Ginger
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »
Not a ghost story but definitely in the news of the weird. I used to live in DC and my family was in the Indianapolis area. I made the drive several times for holidays. On one occasion, I was just crossing from Ohio into Indiana on I-74 and I started to nod off and nearly veered off the highway. This was about 1 a.m. or so. I did that thing where you jerk awake scared to death and was able to keep it together all the way home.

The next day, I was visiting with my older sister and she said that she had been jolted awake about 1 in the morning thinking I had driven off the road! What's that about?
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.