Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 329793 times)

Reika

Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »
I've posted about the haunted apartment I was in a few times, but there is one thing that I always thought was a recurring dream but mom recently verified actually happened. And that she had tried looking into it because her curiousity was piqued.

I was about 4 or 5, and going somewhere at night (want to say home after a drive in since I was in my jammies) and I was in the backseat of my grandmother's car. Grandma was driving and mom was in the front passenger seat, and I was behind mom. I remember a dark, metallic object falling in flames to the ground. It wasn't an airplane and it was too big and too long for a satellite and was completely wrong for a meteor.

Mom remembers the incident quite clearly, because my grandmother took one look at whatever was coming down and refused to stop. The next day they checked the news paper but there was nothing about a plane crash, the site was marked off but the police refused to say anything. Even months later never came about it and there weren't any public records made available.

This is well over 25 years ago and even now my skin has the creeps from that whispy memory.

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 03:03:37 PM »
Love this thread!

Never seen anything alien but on the subject of hauntings...

Do you think a building can almost have a 'personality' of it's own? My Mum says the first house my folks lived in after I was born has a wonderful feeling of warmth and protection. It was a turn of the century house which had been divided into 2 flats. She says the whole time we lived there she felt as though nothing bad would ever happen in the house. (There was a pretty big earthquake once, caused damage all over town. Our place just 'rocked gently' Mum says. Infant me didn't even wake up!) She later found out there had been a fairly horrific axe murder in the kitchen (there were gouges in the back door, guy went mad and murdered his family) but it didn't seem to make the place feel bad. Quite the contrary.

DH, the kids and I moved to a big city about 2 weeks ago. While looking on the internet for places to rent I saw one which had 2 shots of the living room. One shot was fine, the other was *crowded* with little white balls/circles. Some were just outlines but others looked almost solid. From what I could see there was no light source or reflective surface that could've caused them. The place we did end up renting is very old and partially renovated. I haven't had any trouble while we've been here but I keep seeing something out of the corner of my eye, like a person (adult size) moving away. When I turn there's no-one and nothing there. (I've had this before, off and on, in our last house which was also old. But I've lived in others where it hasn't happened at all).

And I wonder if my 3 year old nephew, J, can see ghosts. The other weekend we were at his parent's wedding. My Grandmother had had a heart episode, and we'd called an ambulance. Two came along and they were making her comfortable in preparation for taking her to hospital. I offered to watch J while everyone else was occupied (the reception was about to start, the wedding party had just returned from taking photos, it was a mob scene). I took him outside to look at the ambulances. The front one was open at the back with the stretcher ready. The rear one was closed. J was happy to look at and approach the front ambulance, but when the (female) paramedic told us we could look inside the rear one he baulked and wouldn't go near it. He kept saying "No, no, the Ambulance Man is angry with me" I put it down to nervousness at the time but now I wonder...

My parents used to operate a tow and storage firm, and they've had *lots* of experiences. Mum once saw a guy sitting on a motorbike in the yard. She yelled at him (the bike had been in a fatal accident - no-one was supposed to touch it). He turned to her, grinned, waved... and disappeared into thin air. That story always gave me the creeps.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 04:30:18 PM »
Ok, this thread is cool!  Keep these stories coming! :)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 04:58:59 PM »
DS 2#, who was with me when we saw the "alien," has always been sensitive. He comes by it honest, through his dad's mom's family.

As long as he can remember he's seen people few others see. When he was small and I'd take him to 18th century museum homes he'd see ladies in long gowns floating a few inches above the floor in the room we were in. They'd often look at him and float through a door. No one else noticed.

Another time he was on a WWII battleship in Charleston Harbor (the Scout troop spent the night). A man dressed a bit old fashioned barged into the room, which was crowded with scouts/men. No one else looked at the man, and no one got out of his way (as if he didn't exist). He came straight for DS and seemed very angry! Many men had died on this ship during the war.

Irish Clovers

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 05:08:24 PM »
I have one.   :D

BG:  When my DD was 15-16, she had a wicked case of Mono.  She. Was. Miserable.  We had to have her blood drawn to confirm and she passes out when she has to give blood so we had to make sure she was laying down.  After we made sure she was ok, I went out to the lobby to pay and she went and sat on the benches outside.  About 10 seconds later I hear someone say, "Oh My GAWD, she just went down!"  I turned around and there was my DD, face down on the pavement.  I ran over to her and there was blood all over her face and one of her front teeth on the ground next to her head.  She was out cold.  Luckily, there was an Urgent Care in the building and they got a gurney and rushed her back.  She started waking up and realised her tooth was missing.  She freaked.  The tooth came out of her upper lip (thankfully in one piece) and a few more of her teeth punctured her lip as well.  They were able to sew her up and sew the tooth back in place and we went home.  Her whole mouth was black and blue and very swolen.  All this on TOP of Mono.  Poor Kid.

I stayed at home with her the next day and we were snuggling on the sofa when all of a sudden we see this small black...thing (about the size of a Cicada)....fly up the stairs, whip right past us, down the hall and into my room.  It made absolutely no noise.  We both just sat there in silence for a few seconds and then she asked me, "did you see that?", and I said Yep.  I thought it might have been a big bug or a bird or something so I went into my room and there was nothing.  No bug, no "thing", nothing.  We thought it was very, very wierd but forgot about it.

I went to work the next day and around lunch time, she called me and said, "Mom, she came back."  I asked her who "she" was and she said that "thing" was a female and it flew up the stairs again and stopped right in front of her face and just fluttered.  DD said she instantly had this overwhelming sense of peace and that everything was going to be ok.  Then, she said she flew off towards my room and THROUGH MY CLOSED BEDROOM DOOR!.

I think it was her Guardian Angel.  We've never seen her since.  

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
I know someone who has a theory on the Guardian Angel thing. She says we're all higher beings, come here for some sort of purpose. Apparently human beings are basically monkeys compared to what we normally are. We don't like being here but for some reason we have to do it a number of times, before we 'graduate' to not having to do it anymore. She says we're paired, and one of us 'watches' the other during their time as a human. She says that being is often who we think of as our 'Guardian Angel'. I think it's an interesting theory.

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 07:45:53 PM »
My family is rich with ghost/odd happening stories (it took me a while as a kid to realise I should shut up, most people don't have these sorts of things happen!) Some memorable ones:

Ghosts:

As a young boy (about 7 years old) my brother got up to go to the toilet late one night and saw an old man 'shining white' standing in the hallway looking at him. Mum thought he may have been dreaming of our Great Grandfather who died when bro was about 3 years old. She was looking for a photo of him to check when bro grabbed a photo of Mum's Grandfather - who died before she was born - and said "This is him" but he added a few extra details about the man's appearance. Mum checked with Gran (the details did not sound familiar to her) who confirmed them. Bro had seen Mum's Grandfather.
-----------------------

My parents were in bed one night discussing the death of a friend. It had been ruled a suicide (the friend had problems with depression) but there was some controversy over the ruling and some thought he had been murdered. Someone made the comment "Bloody b*****d probably *did* kill himself" At that moment a framed photo at the end of the bed (one of those that sits back on a stand attached to the frame) stood up on end (impossible for it to balance like that) for several seconds before it was thrust down with force onto the hard surface below. It smashed... and my parents slept with the light on  :)
----------------------

As I said Mum and Dad saw several people who weren't there when they had to tow business. The motorbike rider was the most 'real' but Mum has also seen people sitting in the cars they died in. She once heard, although didn't see, a young girl who disappeared several decades ago in the back seat of the car belonging to the guy Police think killed her (she's never been found, and Police did not have enough evidence to charge him). Mum is now convinced he killed this girl (but I think he's dead too now).

Odd Things:

My mother used to get up to answer the phone before it started ringing. Once someone told her what she was doing she stopped.
--------------------

I had a vision of my children before they were born, and before I knew I was carrying twins. I was looking at a house (which we later bought) when I suddenly saw two small toddlers running down the hallway towards me. It was kind of like watching a film, but full/life size... It lasted several seconds and I was able to see and note details. I assumed I had seen my child and my brother's child as his wife was pregnant at the same time. A few weeks later I found out I was having twins.
--------------------------

I often have little 'moments' as I call them; times where I get a strong feeling about something which is often correct. Usually it's something little (like, take cash, and it turns out that the ATM's are out of order and without cash I would have had to wait several hours to get home).
---------------------------

And one Aunt refused to go on a particular NZ ferry after she travelled on it for the first time. If that ferry was doing the sailing she'd fly instead - which was much more expensive back then and this Aunt is notoriously tight fisted. Then one morning she woke up early (about 5am) saying she'd had a nightmare that there was a large boat sinking in the harbour, and people were dying.

That morning the captain sailing the ferry Aunt hated so much decided to brave a storm and attempt an almost impossible sailing. Not surprisingly he failed. The boat was seriously damaged and the passengers had to brave storm conditions at high tide *in winter*. The ferry itself didn't have enough life jackets or lifeboats. It was a huge tragedy and many people died. (Got some great survival stories from that one; one cute one about dogs and a hero story).
--------------------

I've dreamt about places I've never been... and then visited them later on. And when my Aunt (not the same one as above) went into premature labour Mum had her labour pains.

We're an odd family.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:02:44 PM by Vegemite Girl »

Reika

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 10:21:27 AM »
Mom's side of the family has had similar things, particularly her mother. One story that always kind of chilled me was the fact one day my maternal grandmother, one of her sisters, mom and her sister (this is when mom was a teen) were going to go shopping, but my grandmother said that it wouldn't be a good day for her to go. It was a good thing too, some jerk rear ended the car in such a way that mom's sister would've been paralyzed and my grandmother killed if grandma had been in the front passenger seat. Since there wasn't anyone in the seat in front of mom's sister, she just had a lot of scratches and bruises.

Then there was grandma's knack of knowing who was on the phone when she answered and this was long before the days of caller id.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »
Bringing this up, because I want MORE, MORE, MORE of these stories!!! :D

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 02:23:35 PM »
Mom's side of the family has had similar things, particularly her mother. One story that always kind of chilled me was the fact one day my maternal grandmother, one of her sisters, mom and her sister (this is when mom was a teen) were going to go shopping, but my grandmother said that it wouldn't be a good day for her to go. It was a good thing too, some jerk rear ended the car in such a way that mom's sister would've been paralyzed and my grandmother killed if grandma had been in the front passenger seat. Since there wasn't anyone in the seat in front of mom's sister, she just had a lot of scratches and bruises.

Then there was grandma's knack of knowing who was on the phone when she answered and this was long before the days of caller id.

Eek! Similar story: I asked to go running around w/2 friends and my parents said no when they usually said yes. I found out the next day that the 2 friends were in a car wreck---one was seriously injured and the other walked away. I would've been sitting in the back....and the back seat ended up in the front!

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 02:34:54 PM »
The building I work in is haunted. Most of the activity takes place in the basement and the second floor, but the main floor (where my office is) has had some weird activity from time to time. One day, the lid to my co-worker's candy jar flew across the room. It didn't fall off the jar..it looked like someone had yanked it off the jar and flung it as hard as they could. Upstairs, people have seen the ghost of a little girl. There have also been cases of doors slamming, tools vanishing, footsteps, and voices. We've had night janitors and security guards quit because of it. The elevator will go up and down between floors with no one on it.

We also used to get calls from vacant offices and extensions all the time..ones with no phones attached. That stopped when we switched over to VOIP phones a few months ago, so it could have just been a weird glitch with the phone system.

My theory is that the building is haunted by the ghosts of slaves. There's a historic house behind this building. Only a small portion of the original grounds remain..they sold off several hundred acres that were developed into neighborhoods, office buildings, and restaurants. They had to move the family graveyard because the neighborhood was built on that spot.

But they never found where the slaves were buried. The graves are not anywhere on the remaining grounds..they've looked, but have never found them. So chances are they got built over.

One of my former co-workers would outright refuse to go back to the house. A lot of us like to take walks back there, because what's left of the buildings and grounds are beautiful. But she said it gave her a really bad feeling to go back there, like someone was angry with her.

Pixie

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 05:12:05 PM »
Both sides of my family have unusual stories.   I'll start with Mom's side.

My Mom's paternal Grandmother, Minnie, was known as a "witch" because she knew things before they happened. Some said she could "make" things happen, but I don't believe that was anything other than local gossip.  She did predict the deaths of her first 2 sons who died in WWI. Then came her son, Christopher Columbus ****** who was stationed in Italy during WWII, he came home on leave and when time came for him to return he told her (Minnie) "Mama, I don't want to go back because I will die."  She replied, "You must return, son, it is your time, Your heart is violet and we can't cheat fate."   He died upon returning to Italy and is buried there. I just found out last fall that he had also been awarded a Purple Heart, which no one in the family knew about.

Minnie's favorite son was Lawrence, and she always said that when she died, she was taking him with her, as she couldn't bear to be parted from him.  He died one month to the day after her.... the day I was born.

My Grand-Aunt Suzie is Minnie's youngest child, her 12th.  When my brother was born, Suzie had a 6 month old daughter. Mom took Brother to go see Minnie in the nursing home. Minnie (who raised my Mom) patted Mom on the tummy and said, " I'm sorry I won't be here for the next one" Yes, she died one month to the day before I was born.   Anyway, Suzie took her daughter to see Minnie and all Minnie could talk about was my brother.   Suzie was so angry, she hated my Mom for the next 41 years, (To the day Mom died)  and its now been nearly 50 years, and Suzie still hates my brother, and me.

My Mom could tell you what was in the mailbox before she walked out there.   My Brother can tell the sex of an unborn baby.  If you tell him someone is expecting, he'll tell you what it is.   When I was expecting my son, I asked my brother if it was a boy or a girl, he started to cry, and said, I won't tell you.   Yes, my son was stillborn and my brother knew he would be.

Me? I can tell you who is on the phone and why they are calling without caller ID.... I've done this since I was a child.  I always knew when someone died because the phone rang different (only to me) and I would see a cross on the ceiling.

That's  all for one post.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 06:04:48 PM »
That's  all for one post.

THEN START ANOTHER POST!!!  Pixie, if you have more, you can't leave it at just that!  I need to read more!

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
    • Seven Archangels: Annihilation
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »
My Mom could tell you what was in the mailbox before she walked out there.  

Back when I was applying to colleges, I was talking to my guardian angel every day. It was a really neat time. One day I came home, and as I  put my key in the lock, I had a VERY strong impulse that I'd gotten my first college acceptance upstairs. I said, "No, it's way too early for that."  *just go look.*  Nope--I went into my bedroom, unpacked my bag... *go look*  I sorted through my homework, turned on the radio. *go look.*  Fine, but it wouldn't be there.

Except there it was, my first college acceptance, delivered about a month and a half too early.  :D

---

About three years ago, while idling at a red light, I noticed a gravestone at the cemetery that said "Fosdick."  I'm a member of Battle of the Planets fandom, and "Fosdic" is a word there, so I figured I'd bring my camera sometime and get a shot of it.

The day I had a chance to do this was (ta-dah) October 2nd, the feast of Guardian Angels. I went to daily mass and then dropped by the cemetery on the way home. The instant I turned in to the cemetery, I totally lost my sense of direction. And I've got a *good* sense of direction. The cemetery isn't laid out badly, either. All I had to do was follow the fence around, but I had no idea where I was!

Eventually I made it to the place I needed to go, and I took LT2 out of the car, along with the camera, and went over to the grave. I took the shot, and then noticed there was a space, and the next grave on the other side of the space was *also* Fosdick. So I stepped over to the side and took a picture.

Instantly my camera started beeping like crazy. And then it shut itself off. I'd owned the camera for over two years at that point, and that had never happened before.

That's when I realized, it was totally silent. I couldn't even hear birds. My back was to one of the main roads in Tabrisville, and I knew there had to be a ton of traffic there, and I couldn't hear that either.

I turned the camera off and on again, and I took the picture. Still no sound from the world, but this time, the picture took.

I picked up LT2 and quietly went back to the car, thinking, 'There is NO WAY that engine is going to start.'

But it did start. And then I completely lost my sense of direction again trying to get out of the cemetery.

I didn't post the pictures on the fandom site. And the one where the camera turned off didn't take; the other one didn't have any ghost orbs or anything. For the next few months, whenever I passed that cemetery, I said a prayer for the family members buried there, and then one day I felt it was okay now, I didn't need to pray for them any longer.

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to ease than the hunger for bread." ~Mother Teresa

Tabris is on indefinite hiatus. You can still visit me at my weblog. Thank you.

Vegemite Girl

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 06:49:04 PM »

My Brother can tell the sex of an unborn baby. 

I think I've told this one before, but - when I was pregnant with the twins they were lying in a position which made it nigh impossible to discern their genitalia. There was lots of speculation as to what they were but only 1 person got it right - my Mum. She said that every time she hugged me goodbye she had an almost overwhelming urge to say "Goodbye my *girls*".

Mum also says she knew what genders my brother and I were before we were born. There was no ultrasound available  when I was born (mid 70's) and although it was in use in the early 80's when bro was born it was against the law to tell an expectant parent the baby's sex. Mum had to have a scan for some reason, and she hounded the poor technician (nicely, though) to tell her what sex bro was, because she wanted to confirm her 'guess' was right. In the end the poor guy said "All I can say is, with thighs like this, if you're thinking future careers the All Blacks (NZ national rugby team) is an option."