Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 390122 times)

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 01:55:51 AM »
I know someone who has a theory on the Guardian Angel thing. She says we're all higher beings, come here for some sort of purpose. Apparently human beings are basically monkeys compared to what we normally are. We don't like being here but for some reason we have to do it a number of times, before we 'graduate' to not having to do it anymore. She says we're paired, and one of us 'watches' the other during their time as a human. She says that being is often who we think of as our 'Guardian Angel'. I think it's an interesting theory.

That's my families theory as well.

AprilRenee

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 03:35:04 AM »
I think I've posted most of my ghost stories here at one time or another, and since some are fairly long, I'll stick with the short stuff that i can't remember if I've posted.

All my life I've seen phantom cars and people on the roads at night. I'll look to the right, see a man standing there (the most recent was a guy with flaming red hair and beard), glance left and look right again and he will be gone. I see head lights behind me and they will just disapear, like a person turned off, only there isn't anywhere to turn off the road.

Once I was at a friends house, and a man walked up the sidewalk. The door slammed shut, locked and the lights in the house turned out. We could NOT open the door. Only when the man walked away did the lights turn back on and the door could be opened. I recently told my mom of this story and she said at the time there had been a series of home invasions with men posing as salesmen to get people to open the door.

My dryer door will open (the dryer turns off when you open the door) slam shut and then turn back on.

Sometimes when we leave the house the TV won't turn off. I will go through the house, turn off everything. I will push the button for the TV, turn around and walk away and it will turn back on. I even flipped the switch that cut the power to it...and it turned back on. Now I just say "Electricity is expensive, leave the TV off" and it usually works

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 07:39:24 AM »
I love these stories.

I have posted before about DS #2's abilities to see/hear things. He's been this way since he was very small and it's my theory that ability comes from DH's mom's family. They've had paranormal experiences from way back and are open about it.

This story I hesitate to relate, simply because it is so strange. Yet it did happen.

A few years ago, when DS (age 13 then) was in the Boy Scouts, he had an overnight visit to a WWII battleship (USS Yorktown) that's anchored in Charleston, SC. This ship saw lots of action and many men died on it.

He and his friends were in the biggest area of the ship where there are museum displays. It's a cavernous space. He noticed a man come in the room. He was dressed in uniform (not officer) and looked a bit dated. The man looked right at DS and made a beeline for him. No one else noticed the man or moved out of his way, and he moved fast.

He came straight for DS and grabbed his arm, pulling him to a small room that DS described as looking like the infirmary. He said something like, "You're staying here," and left the room, locking the door on the outside. DS couldn't get out, and he was in a room that was off limits to visitors. He yelled for help but being in a remote room, no one heard him.

Finally he heard a low whistle. He followed the sound, and the sound moved. Everytime he went to the spot where the sound came from, it moved again. He saw no one. Finally he came to a ladder in an ajoining room and was able to get out. To this day we can't figure out what happened. There's no way to rationalize it. Can a ghost touch you the way this man grabbed my son? Yet it happened, and no one else saw the man.

DS is used to paranormal encounters, but this one really scared him.

Sandi Papaya

• candelita
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 10:05:01 PM »
OK, I just had to post to this thread, because I had something very weird happen to me today.

I have this headband that I use in the evenings, once I've taken my hair down, to keep it back off my face. This headband is ANCIENT - I've had it since sometime during my early teens (I'll be 33 next month). It's a style of headband/wrap that you don't see very often anymore - it's about 3 inches wide, gathered at one end with a strip of (matching) fabric about an inch wide. It's so old that the polka-dot design (which is screen-printed on) is cracked and peeling, the fabric is faded in spots and worn smooth, the sewing on the inside is coming apart, but I LOVE this thing. I won't wear it out in public, but I love it. It went through high school and college with me.

I have a habit of misplacing this headband every so often. I usually leave it on the bathroom counter after I'm done washing my face, etc, but some nights, I'll forget and leave it on until I go to bed, and by then I'm too tired to go back to the bathroom, so I'll just pull it off and toss it on the nightstand, and put it back in the bathroom in the morning.

A few nights ago, this was the case - except when I woke up in the morning, no headband was to be found. I looked under all my pillows, I turned the covers inside out, I looked under the bed. No headband. Every so often, I'd peek under the edges of the bed or run my hands under the blankets/pillows to make sure it wasn't there, and it wasn't.

This afternoon, I came home for lunch, and sitting there on my bed, as if it had never been gone, was my headband. Mind you, I didn't find it this morning and just leave it there to deal with when I got back home (either on lunch or after work). I haven't seen this thing for at least 3 days and I'm racking my brains as to where it could have gotten to. Or how it could have gotten on my bed when I wasn't looking.

These kinds of things have happened several times since I lost my grandma back in August. At times I'd say aloud, "Grandma, help me find [missing object]" - and several minutes later, the object I'd misplaced (I have a habit of mislaying things) would be right in plain sight.

This time, though, I did no such thing - I just figured I'd probably tossed it in with the dirty laundry and forgotten about it. But I guess not. I always know it'll turn up when I misplace it, but this was the first time it had ever turned up someplace completely unexpected.

I still have goosebumps.

skbenny

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 10:20:59 PM »
Great stories. I'll add a few of mine.

I used to live near a RAAF base as a teenager and often enjoyed watching the Roulettes (Aeriel acrobatic fliers) do their maneuvers twice weekly. One night my mother, brother and I stayed up to early morning on the outside trampoline talking. My brother noticed some lights fairly high up, way above the range the Roulettes' flew, and pointed them out to us. We watched as they did 90 degree turns, spirals, played chicken with each other and streaking through the sky at impossible speeds. They were not the Roulettes flying, we called them the next day to see if they were. We were enjoying the show until mum muttered 'great, they're back' and she did not look happy and went back inside. The next day she told us that UFO sightings are common in our family and to keep far away from them. The look on her face prevented us from asking why, I think she looked both upset and scared. There is a reason why she is afraid but we cannot find out, every family member goes quiet and refuses to answer so we stopped asking.

I have posted almost this exact same story on a previous thread.

The only difference is that we lived across the freeway from a US Air Force Base and my mother was not involved.  It was just us kids (siblings and friends) sleeping out in the back yard in the '60's.  Way high pins of light doing ninty-degree turns is neat, until you think about who could have been doing them.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 10:23:07 PM »
Jaxsue, didn't you about pee your pants? :o

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/02/11/funny-pictures-pleez-tell-me-you-see-dem-too/

Yes, I did. It was surreal. I thought I must be imagining things. But DS saw it, too.

Thanks for the link. Creepy picture. But the posts....wow...does this pass for intelligent communication nowadays?  :'(

That's just the way people talk on ICHC. It's affected.

WonderWoman

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 11:08:55 PM »
I can relate to the missing headband story. I lived in an apartment once where things like that happened. The most memorable was the instance regarding my point & shoot camera.

BG: The apartment building dated back to the 1920's, which is reasonably old in the U.S. It was a large building with probably 100 apartments total. It had a shabby charm about it. My then DF/now DH and I shared the place. We illegally changed the locks, so we know we only had access to the apartment.

Anyway, the apartment had some neat little touches, like an ironing board that swung from the wall and some built-in cupboards. The cupboards had drawers that were wide but shallow. I stored some odds and ends in there - pizza coupons, pens, and my camera, a cheap point & shoot, film and batteries.

One day I open the drawer to get the camera and it's not there. I look around the apartment - no camera. I knew we hadn't taken it anywhere. So DF looks for it, again, no camera.

This wasn't a fine piece of equipment, but I was perturbed because 1) I didn't have money to replace it, 2) I LOOOVE to take pictures and 3) I couldn't figure out where it was.

For weeks we searched for it. We took everything out of the drawer - nothing. We emptied out all of our drawers and closets, still nothing.

Finally weeks later, I open the drawer to get a pen or something and there's the camera. I still have no idea where it went or how it got back. I know for a fact I took everything out of that drawer and it wasn't there. I know no one else had access to the apartment. And I'm fairly sure DF wasn't playing a trick on me. (It's not his personality and there was no pay off, and he wanted the camera, too.)

Maybe someone else was playing a trick?

In that apartment, I also awoke one night to a form of billowy smoke in the corner of the room by my bed. I stared at it for some time, thinking my eyes just weren't adjusting. Eventually it disappeared. Freaked me right out.

Sandi Papaya

• candelita
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 11:21:52 PM »
I can relate to the missing headband story. I lived in an apartment once where things like that happened. The most memorable was the instance regarding my point & shoot camera.

BG: The apartment building dated back to the 1920's, which is reasonably old in the U.S. It was a large building with probably 100 apartments total. It had a shabby charm about it. My then DF/now DH and I shared the place. We illegally changed the locks, so we know we only had access to the apartment.

Hmmmm...well, my house isn't that old (built in 1984, I think?), and weird things have happened before, but I "talk" to my grandma all the time ever since she passed away last August. Weird things have started happening with a little more frequency lately.

A few weeks ago, I went to bed fairly early on a Friday evening, but woke up about 2 hours later (it was about 11 pm - I never go to bed early on Fridays, but I was feeling a little unwell). I felt like someone was sitting on the edge of my bed. When I came to full consciousness, the sensation of weight on the edge of the bed was gone. I went back to sleep.

Several hours later, I woke up again, because that feeling of weight on the edge of the bed was back. I was half-asleep, but I felt the weight SHIFT upward, toward me. I went back to sleep again, and didn't wake up till about 9 the following morning, but I never fell deeply asleep again that night, and that presence, and that weight, stayed there on my bed all night. I didn't ask her to come, but I think it was my grandma making sure I was OK.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 08:53:59 AM »

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/02/11/funny-pictures-pleez-tell-me-you-see-dem-too/

Yes, I did. It was surreal. I thought I must be imagining things. But DS saw it, too.

Thanks for the link. Creepy picture. But the posts....wow...does this pass for intelligent communication nowadays?  :'(

I see people "talking" like this on many internet sites. I'm pretty sure I'm older than most of them (46) and tend to be old school when it comes to communication. I admit, it bugs me.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 09:44:40 AM »

I see people "talking" like this on many internet sites. I'm pretty sure I'm older than most of them (46) and tend to be old school when it comes to communication. I admit, it bugs me.

I understand why it might be annoying, but does it help that it really is affected? I promise. I talk to my friends in LOLCat, but each and every one of us is perfectly capable of writing an excellent essay. In fact, having good English is my job.

If anyone actually talked like that all the time, well...I'd be a little worried about their mental state.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2008, 12:17:07 PM »

I understand why it might be annoying, but does it help that it really is affected? I promise. I talk to my friends in LOLCat, but each and every one of us is perfectly capable of writing an excellent essay. In fact, having good English is my job.

If anyone actually talked like that all the time, well...I'd be a little worried about their mental state.

I believe you (your writing skills), judging by your posts. I think it's just a generational difference (to be fair, I see a lot of shoddy writing from people my age, too). I write this way no matter what I'm doing online - it's just the way I am.

LiveLoveLearn

• The Girl Next Door
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2008, 01:11:14 PM »
I have a current story to post, and maybe if I post it, I'll get a little cooperation. 

The women on my mom's side have always been very tuned into spiritual things.  Mine is primarily a second sight which is common among highland celts (which we are part).  However, I also have a very mischevious spirit that has hung around my entire life.  I can remember having conversations with it as a child that I thought were dreams for years until I finally talked to my mom and found out it's a common occurance in our family to have a spirit that hangs around.  As I've gotten older, I've tuned it out more and more just because life has gotten so busy.  I think this annoys my spirit because it's gotten more and more mischevious in general.  Instead of little things like lights that refuse to turn off or the radio playing when it's unplugged, now it steals things from me.

A year and a half ago, our spare house keys disappeared from our locked fire box in DH's office.  They have not been seen since, so we have made another spare set and put it elsewhere.  Last week, I was getting ready to hang some decorations in the playroom.  I got the drill and drill bits out, put them on the table, and went back for the extension cord.  When I returned, the drill bits were gone.  No one else was home and the cats were locked in the master bedroom as they tend to try and trip me when I'm on the ladder.  The drill bits have not been seen since, meanwhile the list of things I need the drill for is growing a mile a minute.  I'm very annoyed this time.  We don't have the money for a new set of drill bits.  I don't want to have to buy a new set because I already own one and if my spirit would kindly return them, I promise to pay more attention to it.  Perhaps, in fact dear spirit, you can come visit the boys now?  I realize they are males and at this point the Scottish blood is rather diluted, but pretty pretty please leave my tools, my contacts, my glasses, keys, goo gone and various household implents alone already.  And if you happen to know where my empty Jack Skellington wallet is, I would like that back too.

I'll post more stories at some other time, I'm just hoping that this will convince my spirit that I really would like my drill bits back.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »

I believe you (your writing skills), judging by your posts. I think it's just a generational difference (to be fair, I see a lot of shoddy writing from people my age, too). I write this way no matter what I'm doing online - it's just the way I am.

I respect that totally, and will make a conscious effort never to talk to you in LOLCat. Even if I turn into a cat. ;)

Missy2U

• Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2008, 02:35:11 PM »
I know someone who has a theory on the Guardian Angel thing. She says we're all higher beings, come here for some sort of purpose. Apparently human beings are basically monkeys compared to what we normally are. We don't like being here but for some reason we have to do it a number of times, before we 'graduate' to not having to do it anymore. She says we're paired, and one of us 'watches' the other during their time as a human. She says that being is often who we think of as our 'Guardian Angel'. I think it's an interesting theory.

This mirrors some of my beliefs pretty closely as well but mine tie in with astrology as well.  My husband thinks I'm nuts, so we just don't talk about it.

JanetCinNC

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2008, 02:41:40 PM »

I think the way the talk on I Can Has Cheezburger is supposed to be the fractured English that cats speak.  It's used for the goofy captions of all the pictures of animals they post on there.  It's funny when the animals are supposedly saying it, but it's a little strange to see the people using it for their comments, too.  The "language" is called "lolcat", I think.