Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 329733 times)

Reddie321

• Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2008, 11:50:45 AM »
All of these stories center around my aunt’s house outside of Tampa, FL (on a lake).  When she and my uncle were building their house, they decided to have a picnic dinner in the then-unfinished living room to look at the progress the workers made.  While they’re eating, my aunt hears a low moan start from the back of the house and travel down the hallway.  Now my uncle is hard of hearing, so she pretended she didn’t hear anything until she saw him stop eating and the hairs on the back of his neck stood up.  They looked at each other, and my uncle says, “Did you hear that?”
A: “Uh-huh.”
U: “Want to leave?”
A: “Uh-huh.”
And they high-tailed it out of there.

Another time before the house was completed, my uncle’s son (LA) from a previous marriage was fishing from a fallen cypress tree, with my aunt watching from the back porch.  She sees a small orange ball drift slowly on the lake just in front of LA.  Once it passed him, the orange ball shot across the lake and disappeared into the vacant lot next door.  LA (who is just like his father), slowly gathered up his fishing gear, walked back up to the porch, and told my aunt he wanted to leave-NOW.

More in the next post…

Reddie321

« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2008, 11:51:20 AM »
My uncle’s sister (C) was visiting, and the next morning at the breakfast table, she asked her brother if he had heard something in the middle of the night.  It sounded like something falling on the hardwood floor.  He heard it, but my aunt hadn’t.  She figured one of the dogs had knocked down one of the baby gates, until she remembered that all the gates were up that morning.  She looked around, and a stack of silver chargers that were on the dining room table were now on the floor next to the table.  Perhaps one of the large dogs had knocked them off the table in the middle of the night, and that’s what C heard.  Except that if a dog had knocked them off, they wouldn’t be in a neat stack on the carpet!

My personal experience involved doors that didn’t not shut (if that makes sense).  If a door was pushed, it closed.  This story and the next one took place in my aunt and uncle’s guest house.  During my three night stay there, I was awakened one night around 2:30 with a dog panting in my face.  No big deal…I just walked the dog back to the living room, and I went back to bed.  The next night, I didn’t want to be woken by a dog again, so I made sure the doors leading to the bedroom were shut.  I woke up around 2:30 again, this time for no apparent reason.  One of the doors leading into the bedroom (which is right by the head of the bed) is standing wide open.  Had I been in my right mind, I would have quickly fled the room for the safety of my aunt and uncle’s room, but I was very sleepy, so I just shut the door and went back to bed.  I told my aunt what had happened the previous two nights.  She shook the first night off as me not shutting the door very well, but the second night creeped her out, especially when we tried to NOT shut the doors (just leave them “almost-shut”).  That state did not exist.  The doors were open or close only, no in between.  And no, the dogs did not know how to open doors. ;-)

My last story comes from my father who is not easily scared, nor does he make things up.  He and my mom were staying in the guest house for a weekend visit.  While hanging clothes up in the closet he felt a hand softly touch him on his back.  Thinking it was my mom, he turned around, but no one was there.  He didn’t go into the guest house alone for the rest of the trip, and to this day, he won’t talk about that story.

Gyro Widget

« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2008, 03:02:41 PM »
This is not necessarily paranormal, but freaky still - has anybody heard of the "number stations" that are recorded by ham radio operators..?  They are freaky to listen to thats for sure, even though it is rumored that they are just code for spies overseas... especially the ones that use children's voices. 

..I'm going to get my ham radio license eventually.. but I don't know what I'd do if I actually came across one real-time.  ;)   

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2008, 03:54:04 PM »
This is not necessarily paranormal, but freaky still - has anybody heard of the "number stations" that are recorded by ham radio operators..?  They are freaky to listen to thats for sure, even though it is rumored that they are just code for spies overseas... especially the ones that use children's voices. 

..I'm going to get my ham radio license eventually.. but I don't know what I'd do if I actually came across one real-time.  ;)  

What are they?

sadiemae

« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2008, 09:58:37 PM »
I also love these stories, so here is one of my own.

As a birthday present when I turned thirteen, my mother purchased a week at a "Dude Ranch" for both of us to attend. We were very excited, especially since there would be so much horse back riding and a ton of entertainment.  My mother's vision has not been great since she had glaucoma in her teens, and night driving has never been her forte. We thought we had started on our trip early enough, but my mother also has no sense of direction, so we ended up lost and had to backtrack, costing us a good two hours. This put us driving through the Adirondacks, with windy roads and deep embankments, and nighttime was closing in.

As it became dark, it started to rain. Hard, really hard. This compounded my mother's vision problems, but she was determined to make it to our destination that evening.  Now deep into unlit, windy roads, the headlights went out. She pulled over and we tried everything we knew to get them working. Finally, I remembered that we had seen a campground a few miles back. She turned around, and we very slowly drove back to the campground. As we pulled in, the downpour stopped. Thankfully, there was still someone on duty. He was kind enough to help us put up our tent and give us directions to the nearest mechanic, in a town we had passed, and we hunkered down to spend the night.

The next morning, we woke up and went to the mechanic. When my mother told him the problem, he started by trying to turn on the lights. Which worked. Our jaws dropped. These lights couldn't be working now, they wouldn't work at all the night before! My mother even had him check the fuses and the wiring. He said everything was fine, and it must have been a freak occurance. We started back on our way.

So here we were, driving down this road that we had been on the previous night, now in the morning sun. We passed the campground we stayed at. A few miles later, we passed where we had pulled over. About five miles after that, we ran into some major construction. The road was closed on one portion, with lanes marked by traffic cones. On the other side, a very steep embankment down the side of a mountain. It was very difficult to maneuver in broad daylight. My mother looked at me and said, "This is why the lights went out. If I had tried to drive this last night in the rain, I never would have been able to see and we would have driven off the edge. Our Guardian Angel was looking out for us."

She was right. She never would have made that passageway in a downpour in the dark. I still get chills when I think about that night.

Reddie321

« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2008, 11:38:53 PM »
Your story just gave me chills sadiemae!  Glad y'all were okay!  Someone sure was looking out for you that night.

Roo

« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2008, 12:37:38 AM »
Oooooh, so creepy. I have to admit I'm very much a skeptic when it comes to ghost stories, though I'm terribly eager for personal experience to disabuse me of the skepticism.

The hallway of the house I grew up, which was built in 1840, always made me feel vaguely uneasy and genuinely frightened after dark. Lucky me that my bedroom was at the end of it! Once a girl we didn't know at all was in the house and asked us what our grandmother's name was, and did she live here with us (oh, heck no), as she'd just seen an old lady in the hallway.

My mom sometimes has premonitions of the dullest variety, more like flashes of deja vu in reverse. She has had one odd experience, while she was house-sitting for her aunt shortly after her uncle died. My mom and her sister were staying in the house and no matter what they did the door to their uncle's workroom would not stay shut.

My mom's aunt had also boxed up uncle's clothes, neatly stacked in the attic (she's an organized type and grief turned that up big time), but one of his favorite sweatshirts kept winding up on the floor of the laundry room. Initially my mom and her sister both thought the sweatshirt belonged to the other, but my great-aunt confirmed she had left that specific sweatshirt in the dresser when she packed everything else up.

That uncle was always sort of a joker, I gather. I was only about 9 when he died, and since my family is so scattered, geographically, I hadn't spent any time with him and didn't know him at all. One of his daughters had an incident after he died, with the night-light in her room flicking on and off, on and off all night long. Finally she'd had enough and said aloud, "Dad, you're driving me nuts. Stop it." And it did.

My uncle (mom's brother) is currently the owner of a cabin which has been in his family since the 1940s. That whole side used to take advantage of it during the summer; another relative built a house just across the road, and for a bit it was a really idyllic vacation spot. The immediate family of the deceased uncle (his widow, two of her three daughters and their husbands) was staying there one weekend, and one night they all woke up to a really loud crash in the kitchen. This cabin is incredibly small, incidentally, and most people wind up sleeping in the kitchen/living/dining/loft space; it would be impossible NOT to hear any noise in the kitchen.

Everyone got up and looked for the source of the noise, figuring one of the shelves in the cabinets had likely finally succumbed to age. Everything was totally fine, except one single drinking glass had shattered into a perfect pile of uniform, round pieces of glass. It was pretty weird.

beingkj

• Demonic kangaroos are far scarier than Drop Bears
  • I am invisible
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2008, 01:15:53 AM »
I don't have anything too creepy to post about, except 3 slightly ghosty incidents, and a couple of weird dreams/feelings.

1 - I was about 12 and my two favourite dogs in the world had been accidentally poisoned and had died about 4 weeks prior. I was playing hide and seek in the dark with my sister and a couple of new friends, and I went and hid crouched in some tall grass. When I looked up (to see if I had been spotted yet) I could see a blurry shape that looked a bit like the larger of the two dogs (odd, because the smaller had been more mine). There was no sound, and he didn't move, but when I looked up again he was gone.

2 - There's an old ruin on my family's property that we joke is haunted. A couple of times when driving past the ruin we have been able to smell food cooking (nearest house is ours and is about 4 kms away). Mostly, we have smelled meat roasting but I smelled a cake baking there one day. I don't like to be there alone.

One day I was out there with my mother and my sister, we were searching around for old bottles and bits of broken glass, when my dog began growling and barking in the direction of the car. He behaved oddly for a while and then went back to his normal silly self.

3 - same dog, different time and location. I was walking around home past the old blacksmith's shop and the spook's room (so named because a worker claimed to see a ghost there). My dog planted himself in front of me, with his tail against my legs, and began barking and growling and generally acting very aggressive. After about 10 seconds he settled down, looked at me as if to say "I scared it away, aren't I good?" and let me keep walking.

4 - My parents only ever had two children - me and my younger sister. I had a really vivid dream one night that I had a little brother, about two years younger than my sister. He looked a lot like my dad but had my mum's slightly wirey hair. His name was Michael and he was a little terror - he hated schools, he teased the chooks, and he wouldn't sit still long enough to do anything unless he was on a motorbike or helping dad. He also thought his oldest sister was boring because she read all the time.

I passed it off as a weird dream but a while later when I was talking to mum I asked her if she had always wanted two girls, and she said that she wanted two children, loved having two girls but when my sister was a bit over 1 she thought she was pregnant again. So somewhere, in some parallel universe KJ's Mum and Dad had 3 kids. (Michael was a name they considered for my sister if she had been a boy).

5 -  This was confusing more than it was scary: the weekend after easter I went "home" to visit my parents. I was standing in the kitchen talking to Mum while she cooked tea, and I was telling her about my plans to look for a flat. I had the strongest sense of deja vu while I was talking - like I'd had the exact conversation in the same place, sometime before. I couldn't have, though, because I hadn't been home since Christmas, and hadn't started looking for a flat until late February. The feeling was so strong though that I had to ask mum if I was repeating myself.
Oh no, I'm blogging!

CyberKat

« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2008, 11:28:55 AM »
I tend to get an extremely uncomfortable deja vu in very random situations. Problem is, the weird feeling of deja vu is so strong that I feel dizzy and sometimes I stumble and almost faint. I'll try to describe one, in case anyone else has ever felt like it.

I'll typically be in the middle of a conversation, while doing something separate, like playing on my computer, reading, or eating. I rarely get them when I just sit and talk to someone, I usually need to be doing something else too.

Suddenly, in the middle of everything, I get tunnel vision, and everything sounds like it's far away, and I have this strong feeling that I've done this before, or dreamt it. Sometimes I almost fall over, or lose balance.

It's extremely uncomfortable, and it takes a few minutes for me to be reassured that I am in the "real" world. It has happened a few times when I lived with my mum, and if she wasn't home to talk to, I had to go and get one of her cats, to feel that I was in contact with the real world again. It's very unsettling, and it kinda feels like when you're not sure you're dreaming or awake.

Once, I told my mum about a weird dream I had. A few weeks later, I had a strong deja vu in some situation. I told my mum about it (I had forgotten the dream) and she said "Wait, isn't that exactly what your dream was about, a few weeks ago?"
It was kinda weird. That's the only time I have proof that it wasn't deja vu though, I HAD actually dreamt about the situation before I experienced it.

Freaky.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2008, 11:52:21 AM »
I've mentioned in this thread before or in other threads that the building I work in is supposedly haunted.

A few weeks ago an employee here who is very much into hauntings brought a team of ghost hunters into the building after hours. They set up cameras and audio recorders..and caught both pictures AND voices. I haven't had the chance to look at any of it myself, but some of my co-workers have and they say both the audio recordings and the pictures are very clear.

Stormtreader

« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2008, 03:39:46 PM »
Cyberkat, im not trying to be alarmist and i have no medical training etc of any kind, but deja vu, feeling detached from your surroundings, and affected vision/sounds are possible symptoms of mild temporal epilepsy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_partial_seizure . DOes this sound at all like what you experience?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2008, 04:06:06 PM »
OK about this time last year.

Loren pats sis's tummy and talks about her little brother in Mom's Tummy. Sis reminds her no Aunt D and someone else has a baby in their tummy.

Loren keeps inisting that no mommy has a baby brother in her tummy and he is going to be a birthday present.

Brett was born in November just a week and a bit before Loren's birthday.

I've told Sis and BIL - Never breath a word of this to Mom's family. Some would be ok. Some would want her to make other predictions - some are convinced all gifts are from the devil. BIL thinks I'm nuts - Sis knows I'm right.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Warbaby

• "Duty, Honor, Country"
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2008, 09:25:45 PM »
My Beloved was descended from Clan Campbell of Argylle and the Royal Clan Stuart.  Her grandfather, according to what she told me, had very strong paranormal experiences.

Beloved did not like at all to exercise those powers, but, if she told you she didn't like someone or not to do something, it was best to listen to her.  She couldn't explain why she didn't like the person or why she didn't want you to do something, but every time, the person or the activity turned out to be not good.

She also, from the very first, knew what I was thinking or was going to say before I said it.

She did tell me that she didn't like to touch those powers because she felt something malevolent there.
"May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live." - R. Heinlein

CyberKat

« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2008, 06:35:29 AM »
Cyberkat, im not trying to be alarmist and i have no medical training etc of any kind, but deja vu, feeling detached from your surroundings, and affected vision/sounds are possible symptoms of mild temporal epilepsy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_partial_seizure . DOes this sound at all like what you experience?

No, it's nowhere near that bad, but thanks for your concern. It also only happens a few times a year or so, but if it changes in any way, I will probably take it up with my doctor. However, when happens so sporadically, and different each time, there's not much for him to go on.

Stormtreader

« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2008, 06:57:43 AM »

No, it's nowhere near that bad, but thanks for your concern. It also only happens a few times a year or so, but if it changes in any way, I will probably take it up with my doctor. However, when happens so sporadically, and different each time, there's not much for him to go on.
Phew, Im glad to hear that! :)