Author Topic: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"  (Read 383182 times)

beingkj

• Demonic kangaroos are far scarier than Drop Bears
  • I am invisible
Re: For jaxsue - My brother's "ghost story"
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2008, 10:27:55 PM »
I haven’t finished reading the thread yet, but I thought I would submit my own story. I remember this all down to the detail on the ceiling of my bedroom.

Years ago, when I was about 9, my family rented a house in FL for our vacation. My brother was an infant at this time (not even old enough to roll over without help). The way the house was set up – the master suite was on one side of the house, then there was the kitchen/living room/dining room and after that a hallway where the bedrooms my siblings and I slept in.

I slept in a room with my brother’s crib. I remember being excited because I got to have a double bed where my sisters had to share a room with a pair of twin beds. After the night I am talking about, I was thankful that they didn’t question the fact that I very much preferred sleeping on the floor between them.

I woke up in a cold sweat – feeling absolutely terrified – more terrified than I have ever been or hopefully ever will be. The first thing that struck me was that I absolutely could not move. It wasn’t like my body wasn’t listening to me – every muscle in my whole body was so tense it was seriously painful. The next thing I realized – my baby brother was screaming. Not crying – screaming. I don’t know if you’ve ever heard an infant screaming, but it is deeply… disturbing isn’t strong enough a word. It just sounded – unnatural.

I managed to turn my head – but it hurt so much. There was a white (as in not in Technicolor) woman and she was reaching into his crib. His torso was half off the mattress (remember – he couldn’t even roll over at the time). The woman’s hair was blocking her face, and she wasn’t paying any attention to me until the moment I gasped in fear. She looked right at me through a pair of glasses and I was too scared to scream. Then she immediately disappeared.

Oh and it doesn’t end there. I grabbed my brother and ran down the hall to the living room. I sat on the couch, facing the TV. The TV reflected the hallway I had just run down. As I was crying and rocking back and forth with my brother, I felt that feeling of terror coming back. I looked up at the TV – she was coming down the hall at us. She was walking in this jaunty step and I just KNEW she wanted to hurt me – she was evil and she wanted to hurt me and my brother. I screamed, closed my eyes – and ran into my parents’ room.

My father was disgusted when I finally blurted out that I had seen a ghost. He told me to “go back to bed.” But my mom said I was so pale and shaking that she knew I had seen something. Her side of the family is sensitive to ghosts, so she believed me. She moved the baby’s bed into the master suite with them and put me on the floor in my sister’s room for the rest of vacation.

That was the most terrifying experience. I still have nightmares and I am so terrified that I will wake up and SHE will be there. Sometimes I can’t sleep at night. Definitely not a friendly ghost experience.  :-\

That is positively terrifying and sounds scarier than most freaky movies!

I hope you know that I'm covered in goosebumps here  :o
Oh no, I'm blogging!

Lurkergirl

• http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/59628
    • I write about my life with chronic pain
« Reply #151 on: April 17, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »
Been trying to figure out what stories of mine to post and I can think of two at the moment.

The first one is about an ability that I have always had but as I have gotten older my abilities seem to be fading and I dont know how to stop that.  I graduated in 93 so this happened in 92 or 93 after school on the way home.  I was driving myself and 2 friends home and you know how school traffic is when school lets out its insane with back ups and well stupid drivers.  My best friend was sitting in the back seat of my tiny toyota corolla hackback and someone else was sitting up front next to me.  When got to a section of the road where there was one turn lane going to the right and everyone else goes straight.  All of a sudden in my minds eye I saw my car going into the turn lane when I had no reason to turn at all.  And had a very strong urge to move my car.  So I did the only thing I could I moved into the turn lane as quickly as I could while my friend is grabbing the back of the seat to keep her balance and I stop my car.  Next thing we know the car that was a little ways behind me slams into the car that was in front of me.  These were both older cars and the one that was hit had almost no trunk left.  If my car had been hit my best friend would have died since the car would have been hit so hard and mine was small.  We were all pretty weirded out but her parents never had a problem with her being in my car again since they knew she was safe after that...

My current story is the house I live in now.  We started renting it almost 2 years ago.  And I am sure it is haunted and have known that since we moved in.  When I was unpacking the kitchen I was putting the spices and stuff away.  I would put something up there turn around and it came flying back out and hit me in the head.  So I put it in there again and it did the same thing.  Finally stated out loud that there was where I wanted it and to leave it alone and it finally stayed in there.  My husband and I both have seen someone in the bathroom with us when we are showering.  Kinda scary at times.  I just ask for privacy and they usually leave.  We are sure there is at least one child and maybe an adult but they dont really bother us much anymore.  We do hear the child when our kids are at thier fathers.  It can be really strange to hear someone call out mom when I am home alone.  Funny thing is we have alot of animals and they are never around when the stuff happens.  Although the cat used to go nuts at the weirdest times.  I still get nervous if I am home alone though

Lurkergirl

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #152 on: April 17, 2008, 10:18:07 AM »
I'll post some of my family's stories:

At the house where my mother lived when she was young, there was the ghost of the old woman who had lived in the house before them, Mrs. Jester. My aunt saw her a few times, but described it as seeing a family friend - no fear at all. My mother, whose bedroom was just at the top of the stairs, used to hear her going up and down the stairs all night long (she had been infirm and unable to climb to the second floor - mom figured she was making up for lost time). My grandfather actually tore down the staircase and moved it to get it to stop.

My aunt moved into a historic home for a time. It had what she described as a "violent presence." Things would fly across the room, cabinets would open and then *bang* (with force) closed all night long. And there was a very negative feeling around the place. She ended up moving out because she could not stand it any longer.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

sadiemae

« Reply #153 on: April 17, 2008, 01:46:48 PM »
My current apartment is the upstairs of an old train station. The underground railroad also has deep roots in our area. There are still houses with sliding bookcases that reveal hidden rooms and passageways between rooms.

When we moved into our apartment, I didn't spend a lot of time there since I was constantly working. I would pretty much wake up, go to work, come home, go to sleep. Sweetheart would stay up much later than me. It seems that because of that, it took me quite a while to put a few things together. This apartment is definately haunted. I first realized it when Sweetheart left on Thanksgiving to go to his parents house and I stayed home. I was thrilled to have the evening to myself, and watched television and went to bed. The way the apartment is set up, there is a spiral staircase that leads to the apartment, then the apartment is a long, straight shot with the bedroom at the far end. There are no doors, except for the bathroom, which is near the entrance, and you can see from one end to the apartment to the other with no probem.

So anyway, I'm home, lying in bed, and I a door open and close, then footsteps. I figured that Sweetheart was coming home early to suprise me, so I flip over and look down the apartment. Noone. No big deal, maybe my ears are playing tricks on me or the apartment is creaking. So I roll back over.  A little while later, I hear it again. Clearly, a door opening and closing and heavy footsteps coming towards the bedroom. I flip over again. Nothing. So, I went downstairs to the business, but noone was there. I checked the main door and it was locked, and I was starting to get spooked. I went back to bed, but not before checking the bathroom door, which was still wide open. I finally fell asleep, but I was a bit weirded out.

A few days later, I mentioned to Sweetheart that I had heard some strange things while he was gone. His response, "Yeah, the footsteps."
"What? You heard them too?"
"Yeah, all the time."
"Do you hear the--"
"Door opening and closing. Yeah."
"Have you seen anything?"
"The shadows move. All the time." He was completely right, the shadows do move. I had been catching things out of the corner of my eye for months, but didn't think anything of it.
I asked him if it freaked him out and he said that he had settled it months ago. Turns out, he kept hearing the door and footsteps at night and just asked the ghost to keep it down.

The other strange thing about this apartment is how loud the noise is in the livingroom, but the bedroom is silent. The bedroom would have been above the stationmaster's office, but the livingroom is above the area where passengers waited for trains. At night, the building creaks, groans, taps, clicks and pings, which is all very loud in the livingroom, but not able to be heard at all from the bedroom, less than three feet away with no door separating them. It is really strange. In fact, something really weird happened with the noises this morning. I woke up at 5:00 am, but didn't need to be up until 6:00, so I went into the livingroom and laid down on the couch. I said out loud that I was going to need a wake up call at six. Sure enough, at six, the livingroom noise became rediculously loud. There were creaks, pings, taps, everything, all louder than normal. I woke up, said thanks, and walked into the bedroom to look at the clock. 6:00 am exactly. The rest of the morning the noises were quiet. At least they take requests...

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #154 on: April 17, 2008, 05:20:36 PM »
My current apartment is the upstairs of an old train station. The underground railroad also has deep roots in our area. There are still houses with sliding bookcases that reveal hidden rooms and passageways between rooms.

When we moved into our apartment, I didn't spend a lot of time there since I was constantly working. I would pretty much wake up, go to work, come home, go to sleep. Sweetheart would stay up much later than me. It seems that because of that, it took me quite a while to put a few things together. This apartment is definately haunted. I first realized it when Sweetheart left on Thanksgiving to go to his parents house and I stayed home. I was thrilled to have the evening to myself, and watched television and went to bed. The way the apartment is set up, there is a spiral staircase that leads to the apartment, then the apartment is a long, straight shot with the bedroom at the far end. There are no doors, except for the bathroom, which is near the entrance, and you can see from one end to the apartment to the other with no probem.

So anyway, I'm home, lying in bed, and I a door open and close, then footsteps. I figured that Sweetheart was coming home early to suprise me, so I flip over and look down the apartment. Noone. No big deal, maybe my ears are playing tricks on me or the apartment is creaking. So I roll back over.  A little while later, I hear it again. Clearly, a door opening and closing and heavy footsteps coming towards the bedroom. I flip over again. Nothing. So, I went downstairs to the business, but noone was there. I checked the main door and it was locked, and I was starting to get spooked. I went back to bed, but not before checking the bathroom door, which was still wide open. I finally fell asleep, but I was a bit weirded out.

A few days later, I mentioned to Sweetheart that I had heard some strange things while he was gone. His response, "Yeah, the footsteps."
"What? You heard them too?"
"Yeah, all the time."
"Do you hear the--"
"Door opening and closing. Yeah."
"Have you seen anything?"
"The shadows move. All the time." He was completely right, the shadows do move. I had been catching things out of the corner of my eye for months, but didn't think anything of it.
I asked him if it freaked him out and he said that he had settled it months ago. Turns out, he kept hearing the door and footsteps at night and just asked the ghost to keep it down.

The other strange thing about this apartment is how loud the noise is in the livingroom, but the bedroom is silent. The bedroom would have been above the stationmaster's office, but the livingroom is above the area where passengers waited for trains. At night, the building creaks, groans, taps, clicks and pings, which is all very loud in the livingroom, but not able to be heard at all from the bedroom, less than three feet away with no door separating them. It is really strange. In fact, something really weird happened with the noises this morning. I woke up at 5:00 am, but didn't need to be up until 6:00, so I went into the livingroom and laid down on the couch. I said out loud that I was going to need a wake up call at six. Sure enough, at six, the livingroom noise became rediculously loud. There were creaks, pings, taps, everything, all louder than normal. I woke up, said thanks, and walked into the bedroom to look at the clock. 6:00 am exactly. The rest of the morning the noises were quiet. At least they take requests...

Great story. I can only imagine the "imprint" from previous lives. Did you ever try an EVP? Just leave a recorder on, ask a few questions, then leave for awhile. Maybe you'll get something good.

sadiemae

« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2008, 07:45:42 PM »
Actually, I just bought a voice recorder the other day to tape interviews for a book I'm writing...I think I have a plan for tomorrow. Although, if it is too creepy, I may end up having to move by the weekend!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2008, 08:06:50 PM »
Actually, I just bought a voice recorder the other day to tape interviews for a book I'm writing...I think I have a plan for tomorrow. Although, if it is too creepy, I may end up having to move by the weekend!

Yes, you can get creepy recordings. When we were in Ireland we got some amazing EVPs (no way to explain away the sounds). We made the mistake of listening to one EVP while still at the site - a midieval castle on a remote hill, at midnight, only one light so the place was very, very dark - and after a lot of noises (like you'd hear in a busy courtyard of that period), a voice came close and said, "Quickly, get out!"  :o We left right then, of course.

You can always assure whatever entities are there that you are not trying to make them leave and that you are no threat. Be sure to report back to us if you get something.

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »
Then there is my best friend.  When she was little, she saw people's auras.  She'd tell her parents that she didn't like that man because he was "all black on the edges" or she liked that lady "because she was the same color as the roses".  Being Hispanic Catholics (with a good dose of Latin superstition tossed in), it scared the holy bejabbers out of her folks and they hushed her up, so she pushed it away.

She doesn't see auras anymore but her first impression of a person is ALWAYS dead on.  Always.  If she has a feeling about something, I've always trusted it.

Tig

I'm really good at reading people (and so is my BF)... I wonder if that's sort of the same thing. We can "know" within a few minutes of meeting someone if they're someone we need to not be around. This worked in the case of my friend's ex-BF. My BF got a weird feeling and told me to never be alone in the house w/her bf (he was sleeping most of the week at our place b/c we shared a house). He ended up slashing her tires and hitting her....

Oh she still sees them - she has just learned to "keep it underground"  and probably doesn't relize that is how she is making jugements on people.

I can "feel" an aura better than I can "see" one.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2008, 01:43:10 PM »
I have the creeps after spending a morning readin this thread!

The only thing that ever happens to me is the pre-deja-vu that some people described, although without the fainting and dizziness.  Just, something will happen, and at that moment I'll recall that I dreamed the same thing a few weeks before.  It's always mundane things, though, like stooping to tie my shoe at an amusement park.  I knew the exact configuration of my friends around me as though I'd previously seen a photograph of us.

Only once have I had a strong dream, and trusted it.  I was in the process of deciding to convert to Orthodox Christianity, as was my fiance (now DH).  He introduced me to Orthodoxy, so I know many people were concerned that I was doing it for him, not because I believed in it, and at the time I was a little worried myself.  In my dream, my priest (who was and is very much alive!) told me, "You have to do this for yourself, not for DH."  That morning, analyzing the dream decided me and I spoke to him the next day about being chrismated (confirmed).  Also in the dream, he told me that one friend of mine, who was Orthodox already, was moving away from the faith, and reminded me that she had converted partly for her then-bf, who had left the faith completely.  Later, I found out for sure that she was dating/considering marrying a non-Christian (she lives in a country where Christianity is not the majority religion).  This is not a problem for some, but Orthodox Christians are not permitted to marry a non-Christian and remain in communion with the church.  They don't have to be Orthodox, but they do have to be baptised.

However, what I came to report that's really strange I have secondhand: this happened to my friend's aunt.

She was visiting Mexico, and while she was there she visited a small site of ruins which included a statue with jade eyes.  These are usually representations of gods.  She stole the eyes from the statue.  That night she was grabbed by a group of men and gang-raped in an alley.  Upon returning to the US, she discovered that she had cancer.  Truly freaked-out and convinced she had angered the Mayan god by stealing the eyes, she mailed them back to the town nearest the ruins, along with an appologetic letter.  A few weeks later, she had exploratory surgery to determine the extent of her cancer, and it was gone.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2008, 04:12:51 PM »
I'm really enjoying this thread (and I feel like the most oblivious person in the world!)  Hmm, maybe I should start buying up haunted houses and enjoying my real estate bargain since I don't see or feel a thing.  (And I work in Boston.  Tons of history here.  There have been two deaths feet from my condo (neighbor died of kidney disease. Was found in his bathroom which shared a wall with mine.  Horrible car accident occurred about 100 feet from my balconey.  The single car flipped several times and caught on fire.  I slept through the accident, the fire fighters putting out the fire and the police preliminary investigation.  I noticed a News van pull into the parking lot around 9 in the morning; I had been up since 7:30; the crash occurred between 2 and 3 AM.)
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Sandi Papaya

• candelita
« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2008, 04:18:40 PM »
However, what I came to report that's really strange I have secondhand: this happened to my friend's aunt.

She was visiting Mexico, and while she was there she visited a small site of ruins which included a statue with jade eyes.  These are usually representations of gods.  She stole the eyes from the statue.  That night she was grabbed by a group of men and gang-raped in an alley.  Upon returning to the US, she discovered that she had cancer.  Truly freaked-out and convinced she had angered the Mayan god by stealing the eyes, she mailed them back to the town nearest the ruins, along with an appologetic letter.  A few weeks later, she had exploratory surgery to determine the extent of her cancer, and it was gone.

They say the same thing about picking up volcanic rocks, glass, black sand from black-sand beaches, etc in Hawaii. The volcano goddess, Pele, gets angry if you remove "her" things from the places where they lay (this includes lava rocks, black sand, and those little strands of volcanic glass known as "Pele's tears" or "Pele's hair," I forget which).

People have been known to mail volcanic rocks back to the National Parks Service because they had suffered terrible misfortunes after taking the rocks. It's not wise to anger Pele.

HushHush

« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2008, 06:25:45 PM »
I'm loving this thread and I've had goosebumps all day but something someone posted waaaaayyyyy back on page two i think has me confused.

"My mother used to get up to answer the phone before it stopped ringing. Once someone told her what she was doing she stopped."

I don't get what was weird about this.  Can someone help?

My own story...my grandparents, now deceased, owned a ranch that you had to drive through someone else's property to get to.  On the ranch property and the one you had to drive through to get there were a few buildings that were very old.  Obviously ruins of outbuildings from the 1800's.  One was clearly the house and my cousins and I decided to explore it one summer.  There were about 5 or 6 of us, ages between 6-12 and we started going through this fallen down old house(like holes in the wood timber walls, etc) and we all got the feeling of darkness and evil at the exact same time and ran back to the new house.  Oddly, my cousins went to the ranch very often and had never explored that house before.  I don't think anyone went there after that either.

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2008, 07:06:14 PM »
I'm loving this thread and I've had goosebumps all day but something someone posted waaaaayyyyy back on page two i think has me confused.

"My mother used to get up to answer the phone before it stopped ringing. Once someone told her what she was doing she stopped."

I don't get what was weird about this.  Can someone help?

My own story...my grandparents, now deceased, owned a ranch that you had to drive through someone else's property to get to.  On the ranch property and the one you had to drive through to get there were a few buildings that were very old.  Obviously ruins of outbuildings from the 1800's.  One was clearly the house and my cousins and I decided to explore it one summer.  There were about 5 or 6 of us, ages between 6-12 and we started going through this fallen down old house(like holes in the wood timber walls, etc) and we all got the feeling of darkness and evil at the exact same time and ran back to the new house.  Oddly, my cousins went to the ranch very often and had never explored that house before.  I don't think anyone went there after that either.
I think they meant before it started ringing.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2008, 07:46:04 PM »

They say the same thing about picking up volcanic rocks, glass, black sand from black-sand beaches, etc in Hawaii. The volcano goddess, Pele, gets angry if you remove "her" things from the places where they lay (this includes lava rocks, black sand, and those little strands of volcanic glass known as "Pele's tears" or "Pele's hair," I forget which).

People have been known to mail volcanic rocks back to the National Parks Service because they had suffered terrible misfortunes after taking the rocks. It's not wise to anger Pele.

I understand that mailing a bottle of rum (to be poured down the gullet of the closest volcano - even if it is airline sized) has been known to mollify Pele more thoroughly.............apparently she is also known for liking to ride surfboards and drink............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2008, 08:17:16 PM »
So maybe someone can help me understand this.

Ever since I was little, I have gotten what might be called deja-vu moments, however I don't think that is the right word.  For example if I am having a conversation with someone, I know ahead of time exactly what they will say and I will say back, who will pass us on the road, what will happen in the background, etc.  These "clips" never last for more than a few seconds. 

When this is happening, I will always remember that "I dreamed this".  But IN THE DREAM, I was also thinking "I dreamed this".  And in that dream's dream, the same thing.  Like a two way mirror where you can see the same thing going back into eternity.

As I've gotten older, sadly these events have gotten farther and farther apart.  When I was in grade school, it was almost a daily occurrence.   My theory on this is that as children, we are much more open to things, until we get told over and over such things aren't possible.  It kind of "shuts down" that part of our psyche.  But I would sure love to get it back more often than I do now. 

Anyone else experience something like this?  My sorority sister in college is the only other person I know in real life that has gone through the same thing.  I just wish I knew what it means.  Any thoughts?