Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

Yet another way of saying "no"

(1/2) > >>

celine.lechat:
I hope my story fits in here.

As a "doctor-to-be", I'm frequently asked those questions : "So you're a medical student? I happen to have [medical condition] and [symptoms]. What do you think I should do? / Could you write me a prescription for [...]?"

After experimenting some years, I've found the best answer is : "You should make an appointment with Dr X at hospital Y, he's great!" followed by any "bean dip" diversion.

The objective is to get across that
1) I am not (yet) competent enough to answer your question / I have no right to write you a prescription
2) I love my studies, but I'd rather discuss something else during my leisure time.
3) You're expecting me to give your a free "professionnal opinion" because I'm a medical student. I don't care to do that for free.

Most people are fine with it, although every now and then someone will tell me they don't want to spend the time or money to go to a doctor. (somewhat ridiculous when your know the french medical care system : everything is reimbursed... in time)

The very best answer I ever got, though, what that woman who got all huffy and told me : "Oh, I was just making small talk!"
??? I had no idea that  asking someone you barely know  professional advice  on the complicated and personal subject  of your genetic condition  qualified as "small talk"!

demarco:
I heard a very good response to this situation years ago on the Dr. Kildare television show.  A woman at a fancy party sidled up to Dr. Kildare and started asking him for medical advice.  He said something like this, "If you don't mind disrobing, I'll conduct an examination right here."   >:D

celine.lechat:

--- Quote from: portia101 on February 12, 2008, 11:39:22 AM ---I heard a very good response to this situation years ago on the Dr. Kildare television show.  A woman at a fancy party sidled up to Dr. Kildare and started asking him for medical advice.  He said something like this, "If you don't mind disrobing, I'll conduct an examination right here."   >:D

--- End quote ---

;D  I'll try it next time!

Warbaby:
You might try telling the person to close their eyes and stick out their tongue.  When they do, steal quietly away, leaving them standing there. ;D

Be willing to bet there would be no repeat offenders.

Shortcake:
Wababy, LOL!  I would love to see that happen!    ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version