News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 20, 2018, 05:12:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Good Valentine's Day dessert to go with duck?  (Read 4919 times)

NotCinderell

Good Valentine's Day dessert to go with duck?
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:41:39 AM »
OK, I guess I shouldn't have procrastinated on a recipe request, but honestly, I didn't think to ask you ladies until today (sorry!)

I'm making duck with white bean puree and cherry sauce for Valentine's Day dinner tomorrow night.  I was going to round out the dinner with brown/wild rice pilaf and asparagus.  I need a dessert that goes well with this.  Usually I make non-dairy chocolate mousse (we keep kosher), but I'm trying to stay away from fake foods, and chocolate mousse just seems so heavy after duck (usually I make steak, and it goes better with that...)

I was thinking of something with apples or pears, but I don't want to do something boring like apple crisp.  Does anyone have a good idea of an apple or pear dessert that does not involve my buying a tart pan?  Thanks.

wheeitsme

Re: Good Valentine's Day dessert to go with duck?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 11:50:33 AM »
What about spiced poached pears?

NotCinderell

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 11:57:16 AM »
Interesting idea.  I'm already buying marsala or madeira for the cherry sauce.  I could use it for the pears, too.  Do I have to flambe them?

NotCinderell

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 11:59:11 AM »
I could make a sabayon to go with that, too...

wheeitsme

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 12:40:28 PM »
Interesting idea.  I'm already buying marsala or madeira for the cherry sauce.  I could use it for the pears, too.  Do I have to flambe them?

Nope.  You can if you want, when you present them, but I never do.

Basically, it's just like poaching anything else.  You just and liquids and spices that go with the fruit getting poached.

NotCinderell

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 12:41:55 PM »
Thanks for the great idea!  I found a good recipe online that includes candied orange peels.  And I'm gonna make that sabayon, too.