News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 20, 2017, 09:58:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Taco Stew  (Read 2065 times)

Generic Lurker

Taco Stew
« on: February 13, 2008, 08:30:28 PM »
This isn't my original recipe sadly.  I took it from Allrecipes.com and adjusted it to our tastes, BIG time.  This technically serves 12.  The original recipe said it was soup.  I think as thick as it is, it's stew.  And honestly, this could VERY easily be turned into chili.  I was very VERY tempted to add a can of diced chilis to it.  What is nice about this dish is that you can adjust to your guests as needed. 

3lbs lean hamburger (For a twist use cube steak, strips or even elk meat)
1 packet of taco mix (generic for me).  You might want to use 2 for more spice but our house uses one.   
1 clove of garlic (pressed if you have one, otherwise chop.  In a jam use garlic powder/salt to taste.)
Hot sauce (flavor to taste...I used about 3 tablespoons, enough to cover all of the meat on the top)

Brown hamburger with taco mix, garlic, and hot sauce in a large pot (I used an extra sized pasta pot) over medium high heat.  Drain grease and return to pot

2 cans of whole kernel corn (drained)
1 can diced/pealed tomatoes with liquid (two if you want it a bit looser consistency/more tomatoey flavor) 
2 cans of tomato sauce
2 cans of kidney beans with liquid (I actually used 1 can of kidney and one black for variety/protein)

Add the above cans to the meat and mix thoroughly.  I did add a tablespoon of onion flakes at this point (don't tell DF) to give it more of a kick.  This is totally optional.  Reduce heat to low/warm and let cook for about 1.5-2 hours.  Stir periodically through out to keep everything mixed up well. 

1 bag of tortilla chips/frito corn chips
1 tub of reduced fat sour cream
1 bag of shredded cheese (cheddar or colby jack have the best flavor to me, you might need two depending on your guests)

Serve in a bowl topped with colby jack or cheddar cheese, tortilla chips/frito chips and sour cream with a sprinkle of oregano.  I know a lot of people don't like a lot of spice so you can skip the oregano.  Depending on prices, I've been known to put freshly diced tomatoes on it as well. 

Normally this is a meal in it's self but I have paired it with green beans, bread and milk for people who cannot handle spices well.  I guess it depends on what you consider spicy.  ;) 

This is also a great crockpot meal.  If you brown the beef the night before, you can throw everything in the next morning and let it cook on low til you're off work.  I recommend a good 30 minutes on high (add the onion flakes if you want to at this point) before serving.  If traveling with the crockpot, you can actually decorate the pot with the cheese, sour cream and a few tortilla chips when you get there.  It's up to you really.  To add a different perspective to the leftovers, you can add egg noodles as well.  (It's the German in me, everything can be added to!) 

I realize my base is rather biased (my dad, DF, friends) but it seems to really go over well and sticks to the ribs.  Most people have a bowl or two and are done!  I love the fact that when it's cooking, people will literally be drooling over the smell and you'll have to keep them away til it's properly cooked.  Talk about compliments to the chef!!  I guess it is a great general get together meal. 

Any questions, please PM me and I'll be glad to talk about it!!  Oh, obviously edit as needed.  I just had to put it into my words so it would make sense.  I'm odd that way.   :D

OhHai!

Re: Taco Stew
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:30:48 PM »
No further posting to this thread please - cookbook editing in progress - (placing into Ethnic recipes)