Etiquette School is in session! > "Why would I want to do that?"

Using the line in court

(1/2) > >>

mom2four:
On the way to court the other day my colleague and I (we are judges) were discussing our teenage children who think everything is up for discussion. When it was time for the 17 year old defendant to give evidence my colleague who was chairing the court that day asked him to go sit in the witness chair. And his answer - "why would I want to do that".

He kept trying to argue with us during the whole trial. Not getting angry like some defendants I've seen but behaving like my 13 year old son when I try to get him to clean up his room. I just haven't seen this type of behaviour in court before but I guess todays teenagers (at least in Denmark where I live) have been brought up to think that adults need to give them a reason every time they are asked to do something.

CakeBeret:
wowowowowowow.

My mind boggles.

That is truly appalling behavior.

Millionaire Maria:
You know, I'm all for standing up for one's self, and I don't necessarily think that a teenagers should simply blindly obey adults without questioning why, BUT, was this kid stupid???? Seriously, you don't mess with a judge. Period. End of story. Did he really think that was going to get him anywhere? It's your courtroom for crying out loud. There's a reason we call you "Your Honour" and it's not cuz it sounds nice.

FoxPaws:
 :o Do they not charge people with "contempt of court" in Denmark? This sounds like a perfect time to start.
(In the U.S. you can get fines and jail time for inappropriate behavior in court.)

Alida:
*blink*  Wouldn't that be considered contempt of court?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version