Etiquette School is in session! > "Why would I want to do that?"

"I like my hair the way it is, thanks"

(1/30) > >>

gadget--gal:
this is something that has come up a few times in my life but I've never had a proper response. now I realise that that "WWIWTDT" is the perfect answer!

I'm black (this is germane to the thread) and you'd probably realsie that most black women get their hair styles, straighted or have extensions added (even from as young a 2) not kidding.

well a few years ago, I had a mindset change, and more importantly, I acted on it. I stopped straightenign my hair (truth be told, I never liked it straight anyway) and a few years later, I stopped depending on braid extensions and began to wear my hair out in an afro.

and here's the etiquette part: sometimes people like to tell me what I should do with my hair. when I was younger my mum would say, "you could get a nice weave" and I'd mumble something about no thanks.

a few months ago, I was talking to my friend about going to a wedding. I was meanig to experiment with somehting new, in terms of styling my own hair. she pipes up with "I know, you could get a weave!" unfortunately, my answer wansn't very polite: It was "a weave? %^&* no! with an audible shudder"

I guess I was a little but offended (and irritated) but the interesting assumption that the only way to have presentable hair is to hide it under a wig.

and there are brief times when friends or colleauges say "why don't you blow-dry it or press it" Because I love my hair the way it is... arrrgggghhhh!!  :P

anyhoo, from now on I'll use this line, coupled with a blank stare.  ;)

Elle:
FWIW I think black women with natural hair are gorgeous (and I am totally jealous when I see a cute afro)

caranfin:

--- Quote from: Elle on February 22, 2008, 08:16:30 AM ---FWIW I think black women with natural hair are gorgeous (and I am totally jealous when I see a cute afro)

--- End quote ---

And the afro puff on little girls? SO cute!

T'Mar of Vulcan:

--- Quote from: Elle on February 22, 2008, 08:16:30 AM ---FWIW I think black women with natural hair are gorgeous (and I am totally jealous when I see a cute afro)

--- End quote ---

Me too. I think that black women have many more options available to them in how they do their hair. Extensions? Excellent! Straighten? Great! Curly? Fantastic! Wig? No problem! Scarf? Looks cool! Dreadlocks? Absolutely! Plaited close to the head in patterns? Stunning! Whereas I have very fine hair that you can not do anything with. Clips fall out. Scarves don't stay on. If I try to grow it, it looks like rats' tails. Basically the only thing I could do is perm it (too much upkeep) and dye it (which I do). I'm very jealous.

When I tell the kids I teach this, they look at me like I'm crazy. But, really, I often wish I had hair like that. Not sure an afro would suit me, though...  ;D

caranfin:

--- Quote from: T'Mar of Vulcan on February 22, 2008, 11:23:50 AM ---

--- End quote ---

Me too. I think that black women have many more options available to them in how they do their hair. Extensions? Excellent! Straighten? Great! Curly? Fantastic! Wig? No problem! Scarf? Looks cool! Dreadlocks? Absolutely! Plaited close to the head in patterns? Stunning! Whereas I have very fine hair that you can not do anything with.
--- End quote ---

DH and I were watching an episode of What Not to Wear and I commented on the woman's cute new hairstyle (if you're a regular watcher, it was the woman of Carribean descent - Christina? - who kept wanting to show off "the girls"), where Nick had wound her hair around a straw or pencil or something to make cute springy curls. DH asked if I was going to try that with my hair and I was like, "Hello? White girl hair? Not gonna happen."  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version