News:

• April 20, 2018, 07:53:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dipping Sauces for Shrimp  (Read 28631 times)

jimithing

Dipping Sauces for Shrimp
« on: February 24, 2008, 02:23:30 PM »
At the shower I am throwing, we are going to have a shrimp platter.  We will have regular cocktail sauce, but I wanted a couple other dips for the shrimp.

I found this one on All Recipes that I am going to try. 

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons ketchup
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1 dash ground black pepper
cayenne pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish, paprika, salt, oregano, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.

Anyone have any other ideas?

edenparadox

Re: Dipping Sauces for Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 04:12:13 PM »
Hm. Maybe roasted garlic aioli? Or would the combo have too much sweetness?

Mikayla

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 04:29:41 PM »
I have one very similar to yours but it uses less horseradish and no oregano or paprika.  In place of these, I just sort of eyeball this but I toss in capers, dill, lemon juice, scallions.  I've been told it's very similar to a remoulade (??) sauce.

Another fun one is just a basic curry dip.  They're all over the internet but I use mainly mayo, just a touch of sour cream, curry powder to taste, tarragon vinegar for flavor and consistency, pinch of ginger and teeeeny pinch of garlic. 

jimithing

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »
I have one very similar to yours but it uses less horseradish and no oregano or paprika.  In place of these, I just sort of eyeball this but I toss in capers, dill, lemon juice, scallions.  I've been told it's very similar to a remoulade (??) sauce.

Another fun one is just a basic curry dip.  They're all over the internet but I use mainly mayo, just a touch of sour cream, curry powder to taste, tarragon vinegar for flavor and consistency, pinch of ginger and teeeeny pinch of garlic. 

Unfotunately, I hate curry.  :-\

I found a very easy, basic recipe for Cilantro-Lime Mayonnaise.  That should work, right?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 05:29:37 PM by jimithing »

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 05:31:02 PM »
Here's a Mexican twist on the cocktail sauce.  You don't have to put the shrimp in the sauce, just keep them separate for dipping, and forgo the chips.

Shrimp Campechana

~ Cristen

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 07:09:08 PM »
How about an alfredo dip?

Sweat some garlic in a little butter, add some softened cream cheese, heavy cream, and freshly grated parmesan.  Add salt and black pepper to taste.

I also like pureed avocado thinned with a little chicken broth and a dash of lemon or lime juice and black pepper as a dipping sauce, but I might just be weird.

jimithing

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 07:11:59 PM »
How about an alfredo dip?

Sweat some garlic in a little butter, add some softened cream cheese, heavy cream, and freshly grated parmesan.  Add salt and black pepper to taste.

I also like pureed avocado thinned with a little chicken broth and a dash of lemon or lime juice and black pepper as a dipping sauce, but I might just be weird.

We are actually going to be doing a parmesan fondue, to serve with veggies and bread, so I guess we can use that for the shrimp too!

blarg314

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 09:21:08 PM »

Or something really simple like fresh lime juice, chopped chilies and fish sauce (or salt).

Tabbage

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 12:01:33 AM »
I tried this one recently, and it was AWESOME:

1 jar apricot-pineapple jam
Prepared horseradish sauce to taste

Microwave 1 - 2 minutes or until melted, then stir and serve.

I could have just eaten the dipping sauce with a spoon, it was so good.  I'm guessing that if you are serving chilled shrimp instead of fried shrimp (which was what I had with the sauce), it might taste better if you chilled the sauce after cooking it.  Cold shrimp in a warm dipping sauce might be gross.

Mikayla

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »

Unfotunately, I hate curry.  :-\

I found a very easy, basic recipe for Cilantro-Lime Mayonnaise.  That should work, right?

Gosh, I won't know til you share it  :)

It sounds awesome!!.  I love cilantro and I'd want something to contrast with the salsa or tomato thing.