News:

• April 26, 2018, 02:50:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Round Steak recipe  (Read 1135 times)

Mom2Brett

Round Steak recipe
« on: February 28, 2008, 08:47:48 AM »
I have a smallish round steak at home in the fridge defrosting.  I am tired of the same boring thing.  I usually add seasoned salt, pepper, garlic and some onion powder and then grill it.  Does anyone have a simple recipe, I'll be cooking not my chef husband  ;)

Thanks!!!

edenparadox

Re: Round Steak recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 11:00:35 AM »
In this food comm I belong to someone posted a yummy looking sirloin recipe. Maybe you can adapt it...

Sirloin with Red Wine & Mushrooms
1 pound boneless sirloin (about 1 inch thick), al visible fat discarded
5 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
cup merlot or other dry red wine (regular or non-alcoholic)
4 oz, no-salt added tomato sauce
2 med. Green onions, finely chopped
1 tsp. very low-sodium beef bouillon granules
1 tsp. dried basil, crumbled
tsp. sugar
tsp. dried oregano, crumbled
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. salt
vegetable oil spray
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley

In a large, airtight plastic bag, combine the steak, mushrooms, and wine. Seal the bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8-12 hours, turning occasionally.

In a small bowl, stir together the tomato sauce, green onions, bouillon granules, basil, sugar, oregano, garlic powder, and salt. Set aside.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Remove from the heat and lightly spray with vegetable oil spray (being careful not to spray near a gas flame). Remove the steak from the marinade; reserve the marinade. Shake the excess liquid from the steak. Cook the steak for four minutes. Turn the steak. Cook for two minutes, or until the desired doneness. Transfer to a cutting board.

Pour the marinade with the mushrooms and the tomato sauce mixture into the pan residue in the skillet, scraping the bottom and side to dislodge any browned bits. Cook over med-high heat for 3 minutes, or until the liquid is reduce to one cup.

To serve, slice the steak and transfer to plates. Spoon the mushroom sauce over the steak. Sprinkle with parsley.

Though I think if I were to adapt it, I'd add a little olive oil and throw the herbs into the marinade before pouring it on the meat and mushrooms.

I also prefer a stainless steel skillet because it forms a better crust and you get a better sauce from it.

After removing the steak from the pan, I'd pour in the leftover marinade but instead of adding tomato sauce and green onion and the bouillon, I'd probably just pour in some veggie stock and then scrape the bits and reduce the sauce.

Clara Bow

• I gotta go.
Re: Round Steak recipe
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 05:05:26 PM »
Cut up about four or five big potatoes, slice up some carrots and onion and put them in the bottom of the slow cooker. Cut the strak into serving pieces and salt both sides. Place on top of veg. Pour over a double sized can of reduced fat cream of mushroom soup and you have a full dinner in about 6-12 hours.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....