Etiquette School is in session! > "So kind of you to take an interest."

Didn't think I'd have the guts. *Small update pg. 2*

(1/6) > >>

LB:
I've thought about using this phrase before, but didn't think it sounded natural coming from me. Well, I learned that given the right situation, it flows pretty naturally!

I guess I've been lucky that in all the time I've been overweight, I've never gotten a rude comment about it until now. I've been working with a nutritionist since October and have lost 38 lbs so far. My plan includes eating about 5 or 6 times a day, at regularly scheduled intervals. Eating at my desk has never been a problem with my boss as long as I don't do it when clients are in my office.

I've been spending some time in a different office this week because they were shorthanded. When I was asked to fill in, I asked the office manager if she would have a problem with me having snacks at the desk where I would be working. She said she didn't care as long as I was discreet and kept it out of view of clients. No problem.

My first day at the office, I arrive at 8:00 a.m. I am eating my first snack at 8:30 a.m. when Therapist arrives. He kind of eyes my food, but just says hello and goes to his office. He leaves at 12:00 for lunch, at which time he sees me eating my turkey sandwich and yogurt. He comes out to the front desk again around 3:00 p.m. and of course I'm eating again. The second day proceeds almost exactly like the first, with him coming around just at the times I happen to be eating.

It was too much for him. He approached me as I was eating my 3:00 meal and said "You know, you really eat a lot. That might be part of your...you know...problem." and he made some kind of gesture (waving his hand up and down) that I'm guessing was meant to indicate my body.

I just looked at him for a few seconds before I said "It's very kind of you to take an interest." Perfect timing because the phone rang as soon as I finished the sentence and I turned my back on him to answer it.

He walked into the office managers office and I heard him say "Crap, I think I offended the new girl."  ::)

Samantha:
That is excellent timing on the phone! And I love that he actually realized that he crossed the line with his comment (even though it wasn't him directly acknowledging it to you).

WildChild@Heart:
Head smacks desk top. The guy is a therapist, he makes a comment like that........and he only thinks he might have offended you?  ::)

LB:
How petty is it that I was pretty annoyed at the "new girl" comment too? I've worked for this place for nearly 7 years. He's the new one! He just doesn't know me because I work in a different office.

Laura:

--- Quote from: Kalila on February 28, 2008, 01:02:38 PM ---How petty is it that I was pretty annoyed at the "new girl" comment too? I've worked for this place for nearly 7 years. He's the new one! He just doesn't know me because I work in a different office.

--- End quote ---

That's not petty; I'd be annoyed too.

Congrats on your weight loss success!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version