News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 11:53:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Actually, YOU are the rude one  (Read 16612 times)

twinkletoes

Actually, YOU are the rude one
« on: February 13, 2007, 02:24:31 PM »
I'm really enjoying discussing the stories on the ehell website, and I'm seeing a bit of a trend where the writer comes off as indignant over some supposed faux pas on someone else's part.  You read the story, you take a step back, and you start to think that maybe the writer is just as much to blame, if not more so, than the supposed "rude" person.  And then, you also have the stories where you think "I would love to hear the other person's side of the story."  I'm thinking specifically of the one where the bride has the truly terrible bridesmaids from hell - but there are enough clues where one might start to think "you know, the writer isn't entirely blameless, either."  I think this is so amusing, and I'm spending way too much time reading through the stories.  :)

Anyway, which stories do you think are the best examples of "unknowingly rude writers"?  If you could read "the other side of the story," which one would it be?

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: Actually, YOU are the rude one
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 02:33:07 PM »
I think the one where the writer complained about the whole wedding and Jeanne answered every complaint with "It's not against etiquette" or "You're being rude" would fall in this category, as would the story about the church women and the trailer trash bride.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

twinkletoes

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 02:35:42 PM »
Oooh, was that the one where the "ladies" of the church made fun of the fact that the bride was homely?  Didn't the groom's mother try to break them up as well?  That's a good one.

There is another story about the writer's husband getting invited to his boss's annual holiday party.  The writer pointed out all sorts of "faux pas," including how the house was decorated.  I really liked that one because Miss Jeanne responds to each one with "that's not a faux pas." 

Lisbeth

• a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 02:36:39 PM »
Oooh, was that the one where the "ladies" of the church made fun of the fact that the bride was homely?  Didn't the groom's mother try to break them up as well?  That's a good one.

There is another story about the writer's husband getting invited to his boss's annual holiday party.  The writer pointed out all sorts of "faux pas," including how the house was decorated.  I really liked that one because Miss Jeanne responds to each one with "that's not a faux pas." 

I'm not sure about the groom's mother, but that sounds like it!
NYC

Virg

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 02:49:38 PM »
twinkletoes wrote:

"There is another story about the writer's husband getting invited to his boss's annual holiday party.  The writer pointed out all sorts of "faux pas," including how the house was decorated.  I really liked that one because Miss Jeanne responds to each one with "that's not a faux pas.""

This one was my favorite as well, because I read through the story thinking exactly the same thing.  It sounded like a fun party.

It's Holiday0730-02, Located in the Holiday Hell section, 2002 acrhive.

Virg
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:52:21 PM by Virg »

Brentwood

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 02:49:57 PM »

What category is that in? I'd love to read that one.

twinkletoes

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 02:53:17 PM »
Cathy, the story about the holiday party is here:  http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_everyday/HolidayHell/holiday_hel2002arcl.shtml

It's about half-way down, and the story starts as "First, some background." It's not quite as I remember it - I read it several years ago, and I must have mistaken it for another entry where Miss Jeanne lists each fault point-by-point. 

Enjoy!

ETA:  Dur, skipped over Virg's post. Sorry about that, Virg!

Brentwood

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »
Cathy, the story about the holiday party is here:  http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_everyday/HolidayHell/holiday_hel2002arcl.shtml

It's about half-way down, and the story starts as "First, some background." It's not quite as I remember it - I read it several years ago, and I must have mistaken it for another entry where Miss Jeanne lists each fault point-by-point. 

Enjoy!

ETA:  Dur, skipped over Virg's post. Sorry about that, Virg!

Thank you! Do you have the link for the church ladies story too? I promise I won't ask anymore. :)

Lisbeth

• a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 03:04:49 PM »
The church ladies story has a thread in this folder.  I think it's called "Wicked Witches of the Weddings-the church women and the trailer trash bride."
NYC

Brentwood

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 03:19:49 PM »
The church ladies story has a thread in this folder.  I think it's called "Wicked Witches of the Weddings-the church women and the trailer trash bride."

Thanks!

Deetee

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 03:25:20 PM »
I've been looking for one about a woman who goes on and on about horrible and rude and snobbish her neighbours or friends are. I read the whole thing and the only thing the neighbours seem to have done is not invite the writer to their sons wedding. It's a rather long long rant, full of hate and whining and by the end of it, there is no way I'd invite the writer to my parties.

I haven't been able to refind it though.

twinkletoes

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 03:27:30 PM »
Deetee, do you remember any specific details about the post?  In the one I mentioned above, I was able to find it by searching for "Barbie" (as in "Barbie Bordello") in the website's search engine.  It really helps to narrow it down when you can think of a specific word or phrase used in the story.

ETA: I'm asking as I can see where this particular story might fall into a few categories on the website - and there are quite a few stories to weed through!

ETA2:  Is it this one?  http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_everyday/neighbors/neighbors.shtml  It's the last one on this page.  With the way this writer keeps going on about how the "rich people" in her neighborhood act, I'm sure some of this shows up in her interactions with them.  (It could also be that the writer is very sensitive to the fact that she doesn't have as much as the neighbors, so if they were to mention "oh, we're fine - we're getting ready to go on a cruise next week," she might perceive every little comment as a put-down.)  It's no wonder they didn't want to invite her to the wedding.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 03:39:54 PM by twinkletoes »

Veronica

• the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 06:19:26 PM »
That story was hilarious.  All I could think was this woman desperately needs to get a life.

Florida

ILikeShinny

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 09:26:32 PM »
I just read that story and honestly I thought that woman really needs good swift kick in the back side. Just what is wrong with the same shinny shirt two days in a row and having a trans sexual son?

I wonder if she and her husband are still together. That poor man being married to her.

But she's a classic that's for sure.  :D

femgeek

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 08:03:40 AM »
Just what is wrong with the same shinny shirt two days in a row and having a trans sexual son?

The thing that struck me about that is that the writer seemed to think that having a trans child and not -- GASP! -- hiding them from the general public or just outright disowning them was an etiquette faux pas. Apparently, when your children have the audacity to be "abnormal", they should be hidden like a stain on the carpet whenever company comes around. Oi. ::)