News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 03:35:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Actually, YOU are the rude one  (Read 16624 times)

twinkletoes

Re: Actually, YOU are the rude one
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »
"The thing that struck me about that is that the writer seemed to think that having a trans child and not -- GASP! -- hiding them from the general public or just outright disowning them was an etiquette faux pas. Apparently, when your children have the audacity to be "abnormal", they should be hidden like a stain on the carpet whenever company comes around. Oi"

Agreed, FemGeek.  I think the writer just showed how narrow-minded she really is.  I loved how she made comments about "Bubba" and "Dixie's" thinly-veiled racism, but I guess it's ok for her to make a big to-do over "Wally is now Molly!"

Honestly, the only faux pas I really saw in that story was having the writer's husband fix the computer during the party.  I think that's the height of rudeness - "oh, as long as you're here for my pool party, would you mind looking over my taxes/fixing my computer/taking a look at this thing on my neck?"

ILikeShinny

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 03:14:07 PM »
Agreed, FemGeek.  I think the writer just showed how narrow-minded she really is.  I loved how she made comments about "Bubba" and "Dixie's" thinly-veiled racism, but I guess it's ok for her to make a big to-do over "Wally is now Molly!"

Honestly, the only faux pas I really saw in that story was having the writer's husband fix the computer during the party.  I think that's the height of rudeness - "oh, as long as you're here for my pool party, would you mind looking over my taxes/fixing my computer/taking a look at this thing on my neck?"
Yeah, if she'sd just wrote about the husband fixing the computer instead of ranting about the family, the shiny shirts, and the decor she wouldn't have made such a bad impression.  :-\

snowball's chance

• the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 03:19:07 PM »
I have no idea where it is on the site, but I remember reading one where a wedding guest didn't like the music that the DJ played at the reception, I remember that she mentioned the song "Footloose".  She claimed that no one likes the song "Footloose".  Not my favorite tune, either, but how is that an etiquette faux pas? 

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 02:24:08 PM »
I have no idea where it is on the site, but I remember reading one where a wedding guest didn't like the music that the DJ played at the reception, I remember that she mentioned the song "Footloose".  She claimed that no one likes the song "Footloose".  Not my favorite tune, either, but how is that an etiquette faux pas? 

Hey, I went to a wedding where the mother/daughter dance (father wasn't in the picture) was a line dance to "Achy-Breaky Heart." It wasn't an etiquette faux pas, but it sure was funny.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Brentwood

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 02:29:18 PM »

Apparently some people think that others' having different musical or fashion tastes is rude.  ???

Emmy

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 01:20:37 PM »
There was one entry where the writer referred to the bride as 'dummy' and had a list of faux pas about the wedding.  The 'faux pas' the writer listed were just a matter of taste in most cases or not even the bride's fault (like the best man not showing up).  In my opinion, the writer was the one that was rude and snarky.

twinkletoes

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 03:29:24 PM »
Emmy, that story made me so mad!  I think it's because I know quite a few people who love to call others "Dummy" (and to their faces!), and I could see one of them typing up a story like that.

The story is here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_wedding/bridezillas/ebridezilla2004-1arc.shtml

Just do a word search on "dummy" - it's one of the first few stories from the top, I believe.

Emmy

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 12:31:18 PM »
Thanks for the link Twinketoes, I remembered the story, but forgotten where it was.  This story made me mad too for several reasons.  First the bride did not actually do anything rude.  On the contrary, she sounded rather nice by not dictacting what everybody should wear which the writer faults her for.  She was willing to postpone the wedding out of respect for her cousins who just lost a father - oh the horror!!  Imagine that, she cares about her family more than money.  Second, the writer calls her 'dummy', refers to her as 'the cow in the family', and makes a statement about waiting for the marriage to fall apart.  I definitely feel the writer should have a special spot in e-hell.

LJM

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 09:03:12 PM »
Emmy, that story made me so mad!  I think it's because I know quite a few people who love to call others "Dummy" (and to their faces!), and I could see one of them typing up a story like that.

The story is here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_wedding/bridezillas/ebridezilla2004-1arc.shtml

Just do a word search on "dummy" - it's one of the first few stories from the top, I believe.

:o I somehow hadn't seen this one before. That's just... wow. How did this piece of work even get invited to that wedding?

Brentwood

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 10:19:32 PM »

That writer is cruel and mean-spirited.

snowflake

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 10:45:54 AM »
I love the ones where they're complaining that the wedding is too cheap.

True, I think if you can't afford a meal you should schedule the wedding to be inbetween.  If people travel great distances to see you get married, you should spend time with them and make sure they are taken care of.

But I think there's one complaining about her sister using plastic flowers on the wedding cake.  What a tragedy!

Though one of my favorites is the one where Jeanne says, "Notice the bridesmaids are dropping like flies."  I think it contained the line, "Since my MOH was just sitting around the hospital, recovering from abdominal surgery I figured she could plan my bridal shower."  Wow, thats' a true friend.

DottyG

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 12:08:51 PM »
Just what is wrong with the same shinny shirt two days in a row and having a trans sexual son?

The thing that struck me about that is that the writer seemed to think that having a trans child and not -- GASP! -- hiding them from the general public or just outright disowning them was an etiquette faux pas. Apparently, when your children have the audacity to be "abnormal", they should be hidden like a stain on the carpet whenever company comes around. Oi. ::)

The thing that struck me about the story is that she HIT someone's cat.  I saw red when I came to that part of the story.  It breaks my heart that someone would do that, and it makes me even more sure that I'm never leaving someone alone with my boy - even for a few moments.  This writer claimed to "love cats."  Abusing them is NOT loving them.  I hope she rots in EHell.  (I'm still very angry.  I can hardly type, I'm so livid.)

LissaR1

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 03:00:15 PM »
Though one of my favorites is the one where Jeanne says, "Notice the bridesmaids are dropping like flies."  I think it contained the line, "Since my MOH was just sitting around the hospital, recovering from abdominal surgery I figured she could plan my bridal shower."  Wow, thats' a true friend.

I get a kick out of that one, too, but to be fair to the bride, I think the friend actually offered to start planning it because she'd be bored.  Then (according to the poster) she left the hospital and went down to the lake without notifying the bride of her change in plans.

I thought that particular bride did a lot of things wrong, but that one the one thing I agreed with her on- her friend should have called her when her plans changed.

litecandles

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 05:00:41 PM »
I used the link for the 'rich neighbor' post but it wasn't there.

Can someone copy and paste it please?

twinkletoes

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 05:12:13 PM »
I used the link for the 'rich neighbor' post but it wasn't there.

Can someone copy and paste it please?

I think it's been updated since:  http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_everyday/neighbors/neighbors2005-2arc.shtml