News:

• April 26, 2018, 02:49:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sticky rice  (Read 2122 times)

shadowfox79

Sticky rice
« on: March 07, 2008, 05:29:43 AM »
Quick question here - does anyone know how to cook Thai sticky rice?

I picked up a pack of glutinous rice in our local world foods supermarket, only now that I've got it home I realise the instructions aren't in English  :-[

G'sMom

Re: Sticky rice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 07:53:41 AM »
I can't say I have ever bought actual sticky rice, but I make our rice sticky at home. I use jasmine rice. I use 2 cups of water to every cup of rice then I bring it to a boil with a smidge of veg oil. Once it boils, I lower to medium and contine to cook until the water evaporates. (be sure to keep stirring lots! it burns real quick!) When the water is evaporated I put some more water in, about part way up the rice, stir well, and continue cooking until that is evaporated and it becomes really sticky (who process takes about 20 minutes or so)

I don't know if that helps you or not. I've never seen an actual product labeled as sticky rice in any of the asian markets I shop at. What came in the package?

shadowfox79

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:14:36 AM »
What came in the package?

Rice.  ;) Literally, it's a pack of rice and it's labelled "glutinous rice" - that's it.

This is the reason I usually buy Blue Dragon when I'm after such things as rice noodles and tempura batter - it's all in English. Unfortunately they don't do sticky rice, so I was seduced into buying this one when I saw it on the shelf.

I'll try what you suggested.

G'sMom

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:16:37 AM »
What came in the package?

Rice.  ;) Literally, it's a pack of rice and it's labelled "glutinous rice" - that's it.

This is the reason I usually buy Blue Dragon when I'm after such things as rice noodles and tempura batter - it's all in English. Unfortunately they don't do sticky rice, so I was seduced into buying this one when I saw it on the shelf.

I'll try what you suggested.

Hmm, if it only came with the rice, then I would try it my own way. How bad could it be? it's rice ;)
Good luck! Keep us posted how it works out! :)

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:50:25 PM »
Here are some really good instructions.
http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipes/Sticky_Rice.htm

DH likes to make sticky rice for onigiri.

G'sMom

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:55:51 PM »
Great info, thank you Glinda! It does state on the link that sticky rice is not jasmine rice. I had never heard of it being sold actually called "sticky rice", I just knew how I made mine "sticky". Good thing OP didn't listen to me, they might have had a mess! :)

JadeGirl

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 07:59:12 PM »
Soak overnight in cold water, or cheat by soaking for 2-4 hours in hot water.  Steam until tender - early season rice will cook quicker than late season rice.  If you want to make sweet dessert rice, stir in coconut cream and sugar syrup to taste, and top with toasted sesame seeds.

You can also cook soaked sticky rice in a rice cooker - add water to cover up to the first joint of your thumb.  I line the bottom of the cooker with baking paper as the stuff is really hard to get off.

To make a really nice savoury sticky rice dish, marinate cubed chicken thigh meat in a mixture of light soy, dark soy, chinese cooking wine, a teeny bit of sugar, finely minced garlic, finely minced ginger and a tiny bit of sesame oil.  Don't leave the chicken in this mixture for more than half an hour, and you can adjust the proportions of the marinade to taste.  Drain and brown the chicken in a fry pan but keep the marinade.  You can also lightly fry some sliced mushrooms (ordinary raw ones, tinned champignons or soaked and drained shiitakes are nice - keep the soaking water), and chinese sausage or cubed bacon.

Put the soaked rice in your rice cooker or steaming dish, and tip in the chicken and mushrooms/bacon/chinese sausage.  If you are using the rice cooker, put in about water to about half an inch over the top of the mixture, then spoon in some of the marinade and mushroom soaking water (if used) until the water is tan in colour.  If steaming, just stir in some of the marinade and mushroom water to taste (the marinade is very salty, so go easy at first). 

When cooked, sprinkle with finely sliced spring onions and serve with soy sauce.  You can also garnish with strips of omelette and crispy fried shallots (available in jars and packets from Asian supply stores).

Enjoy!

jimithing

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 08:11:11 PM »
I love sticky rice!  It's the only kind I will make.

shadowfox79

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 03:26:36 AM »
Here are some really good instructions.
http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipes/Sticky_Rice.htm

DH likes to make sticky rice for onigiri.

Oh, fantastic! Thanks!

shadowfox79

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 03:28:22 AM »
Soak overnight in cold water, or cheat by soaking for 2-4 hours in hot water.  Steam until tender - early season rice will cook quicker than late season rice.  If you want to make sweet dessert rice, stir in coconut cream and sugar syrup to taste, and top with toasted sesame seeds.

You can also cook soaked sticky rice in a rice cooker - add water to cover up to the first joint of your thumb.  I line the bottom of the cooker with baking paper as the stuff is really hard to get off.

To make a really nice savoury sticky rice dish, marinate cubed chicken thigh meat in a mixture of light soy, dark soy, chinese cooking wine, a teeny bit of sugar, finely minced garlic, finely minced ginger and a tiny bit of sesame oil.  Don't leave the chicken in this mixture for more than half an hour, and you can adjust the proportions of the marinade to taste.  Drain and brown the chicken in a fry pan but keep the marinade.  You can also lightly fry some sliced mushrooms (ordinary raw ones, tinned champignons or soaked and drained shiitakes are nice - keep the soaking water), and chinese sausage or cubed bacon.

Put the soaked rice in your rice cooker or steaming dish, and tip in the chicken and mushrooms/bacon/chinese sausage.  If you are using the rice cooker, put in about water to about half an inch over the top of the mixture, then spoon in some of the marinade and mushroom soaking water (if used) until the water is tan in colour.  If steaming, just stir in some of the marinade and mushroom water to taste (the marinade is very salty, so go easy at first). 

When cooked, sprinkle with finely sliced spring onions and serve with soy sauce.  You can also garnish with strips of omelette and crispy fried shallots (available in jars and packets from Asian supply stores).

Enjoy!

I love the sound of this. I might even be able to get DH to eat this one - and he never tries anything new if he can help it.

JadeGirl

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 05:55:13 PM »
You can also make the savoury rice with ordinary rice, but it won't have that lovely "homely" feeling. 

Summrs

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »
short grained rice is the sticky rice.. you can tell by looking at it.. or it'll say pearl or something.  If you want a little treat, add some coconut milk to it toward the end and serve that way in a bowl with cut up mango.  mmmmm

blarg314

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 04:46:38 AM »

I cook it the same way I do long grain rice.

The sticky rice has a shorter, plumper grain, sticks to itself when cooked, and is much, much easier to eat with chopsticks than long grained rice.