News:

• April 19, 2018, 01:23:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: scones  (Read 1388 times)

42_42_42

scones
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:09:33 PM »
I am thinking of having a tea and am in need of easy and reliable recipes for scones.

Ideas for tea sandwiches are also welcome, but I especially need a good scones recipe, the last time I tried to make them they were like hockey pucks.

TIA!

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
Re: scones
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 09:26:55 PM »
I don't have a recipe, but I firmly believe that scones are not complete if they aren't served with clotted cream and lemon curd.  Yum!

For tea sandwiches, you can do just about anything, but egg salad is popular, as are cucumber sandwiches.  If you mix some dill into some cream cheese (you'd have to play it by ear, I don't know how much I used, but remember that it'll get stronger if it sits), spread it on thin bread, and add a slice of cucumber.  It's very tasty, and really easy to make.

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:28:46 PM »
I've made these with good results. One thing I suggest is to be very careful not to overmix the batter. It's helpful for me to cut the butter in to very small pieces before mixing. If you want a variety of flavors, you can replace the chocolate & raspberries with like amounts of other fruits, etc.

Raspberry Chocolate Chunk Scones (8 scones)

Ingredients (Scones)

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1/2 ounces dark chocolate chunks or chips
3/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries (or you can use a combination of berries)
1/2 cup whole milk plain yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
confectioners sugar for dusting

Ingredients (Egg mixture for brushing)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon cream

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with two knives until the mix looks like coarse crumbs.  Stir in the chocolate and raspberries. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, vanilla extract, and egg. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until the dough comes together. Do not over mix.

Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough gently four or five times and then using your hangs, pat the dough into a circle that is about 1-1/2 inches thick. Cut into eight triangles. Place the scones on the baking sheet. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg mixture.  

Bake for about 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and then turn your broiler on high. Sprinkle confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar over the tops of the scones and place them under the broiler. Broil for just a few seconds until the sugar has melted and turns golden brown. Make sure to watch the scones carefully as the sugar will burn very quickly.   Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

42_42_42

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »
I don't have a recipe, but I firmly believe that scones are not complete if they aren't served with clotted cream and lemon curd.  Yum!

Oh I agree!

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 09:40:16 PM »
Oh, good :)  I'd hate to think of a nice tea party ruined by the lack of clotted cream and lemon curd.

42_42_42

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:49:42 PM »
Isn't having a good excuse to eat large amounts of clotted cream and lemon curd the main reason to have a tea party?   ;D

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:54:46 PM »
I can't think of many things about tea parties that I don't like!  I think I'm gonna have to make myself a cup of tea now...

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:30:11 PM »
Or clotted cream and raspberry jam...or clotted cream and apricot jam...or just clotted cream  ;D
Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.