News:

• April 19, 2018, 01:24:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So I've got the biscuits down...  (Read 1281 times)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
So I've got the biscuits down...
« on: March 08, 2008, 01:49:09 AM »
What about the gravy?  I want to make biscuits and gravy for "breakfast" (which will probably end up being mid afternoon) tomorrow, to use up some of the buttermilk I still have.  The biscuit recipe GlindaBunny suggested is excellent, but I don't know how to do the gravy.  I can get a gravy mix, which I can live with, but it kind of seems a shame.  How do you make that kind of sausage gravy from scratch?

Ant V

Re: So I've got the biscuits down...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:33:38 PM »
If the sausage is uncooked, cook it, breaking it up as you go.   If it's very lean, add a little oil or butter.  Depending on how much gravy you are making, sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of flour over the cooked sausage crumbles, stir to distribute, add a cup or so of milk for each 2 tablespoons of flour.  Sorry for me it's sort of an eyeballing it as I go method.  Adjust salt and pepper, simmer on low for a few minutes as biscuits bake. 
If the sausage is cooked as in Jimmy Dean sausage patties or links, run them in the CuisinArt to break up, dump into a non-stick pan,  add a little oil or butter, sprinkle with flour, stir, pour in the milk, adjust seasoning, simmer on low while biscuits bake. 
I've never used buttermilk to make gravy, canned milk yes, even powdered, but for me, never butter milk. 

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »
Thanks!  Sounds simple enough, and I'll be using fresh sausage :)

I'm good at eyeballing.

The buttermilk is for the biscuits, not the gravy ;D

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
Ant V's suggestion is the way to go.

never use a packet for gravy ;)

Sawmill gravy is just a roux made with the sausage fat and flour plus milk.  You'll probably want to taste the gravy with the sausage before adding salt; some sausage is really salty, but other kinds are not.  Make sure the flour is incorporated into the grease (and bubbling) before adding the milk.  It'll cook better and be smoother.

Elpie

• Clue-by-fours bruise me
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 09:24:34 PM »
Many restaurants will use half-and-half or cream instead of milk for further decadence, but that adds tha calories too...

Let us know how it turns out!

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 09:25:54 PM »
I think we're doing it tomorrow, instead.  9:25pm is a bit late for breakfast ;)

Elpie, I never realized biscuits and gravy was a low calorie food!  ;D