News:

• April 24, 2018, 10:43:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is Irish Soad Bread??  (Read 1101 times)

Hopefull

What is Irish Soad Bread??
« on: March 10, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »
I spoke with Dh and he has never heard of Irish soda bread!!!! He asked around in his office and no one else has heard of it either. What is wrong with these people!!!

So now I am in the process of making 2 irish soda breads. One for the house one for DH's work. Anyone have any good recipes?? Here is the one I am using.

3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 pint sour cream
2  eggs
2 tablespoons caraway seeds(optional )
3/4 cup raisins
Directions
Combine dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
In a small bowl beat eggs and stir in sour cream.
Add the egg and sour cream mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon.
Batter will be very thick.
Add the raisins and caraway seeds and stir well with wooden spoon or knead in with your hands.
Place batter in a greased 9 inch springform pan.
Dust the top with enough flour so that you can pat the batter like a bread dough evenly in the pan without it sticking to your hands.
With a knife make a shallow crisscross on the top.
Bake for 50 minutes in a preheated 350F oven.
I felt this thrill going up my leg!

Nuku

Re: What is Irish Soad Bread??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 04:39:55 PM »
I don't have it with me, but I love the recipe in How to Bake by Nick Malgieri. This is the recipe I'll use to make soda bread on March 17.

Also, I recommend Bernard Clayton's Complete Book of Breads. He has a richer soda bread recipe that I've never tried, but it looks awesome, and I've loved all the other bread recipes I've made from his book. (I made the Cuban Bread just this weekend - Yum!)