Author Topic: I was so embarrassed, red-faced and mortified!  (Read 8417 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
I was so embarrassed, red-faced and mortified!
« on: March 16, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »
And it was ME who committed the faux pas.  Oh my, I am just beside myself and I'm still reeling in embarrassment. 

We went bowling last night with a few couples from our social group for those new to the Twin Cities area.  There was a couple who was new.  Sally and I organize these events.  Sally told me that there was one couple coming where the wife is newly pregnant, but not yet showing. 

I introduced myself to one of the new couples, who were socializing, but not bowling.  I assumed (isn't that interesting???) the couple not bowling were the pregnant couple.  Can you see where this is going??  :-[

When this couple were getting ready to leave, I asked the wife when she was due.  I immediately saw the look of shock on her face and tried to do damage control.  I immediately apologized profusely, many times, my face apparently was purple in embarrassment.  Sally came up after overhearing and explained to her that another couple were to come, but were no shows, that she was newly pregnant and not showing and I mistook this couple for them. 

The woman was gracious and understanding, but I couldn't get over my faux pas.  I still get a pit in my stomach for even mentioning it.   I know how rude it is to assume and make such comments.  I would never otherwise mention it to anyone and felt horrible when I committed such an obvious and most ehell worthy breach. 

After the couple left, Sally said it was fine.  We told the waitress the story and when I was in the initial phase of the story, her eyes bugged out, but then when we told the rest of the story about expecting a pregnant couple, she said it was an easy mistake to make.

Oh my.  I can't believe I committed such a HUGE etiquette faux pas!  Dh just came into my office and asked why my face is so red!  I'm obviously still feeling very embarrassed.

Cast me to ehell, my ehellions.  I totally deserve it. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: I was so embarrassed, red-faced and mortified!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 06:20:01 PM »
Sigh.....you see?  It can happen to anyone!  Even to those who know better. 

You're probably beating yourself up way more than necessary, though. 

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 06:37:03 PM »
Being Sally gave the explanation, I am almost willing to bet that this other couple went home and laughed their heads off, thinking about how embarassed you must be!

I would forgive you, had it happened to me.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:08:45 PM »
Sigh.....you see?  It can happen to anyone!  Even to those who know better. 

You're probably beating yourself up way more than necessary, though. 

That's why I'm beating myself up because I DEFINITELY know better! 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:09:04 PM »
Being Sally gave the explanation, I am almost willing to bet that this other couple went home and laughed their heads off, thinking about how embarassed you must be!

I would forgive you, had it happened to me.

Thanks H2K.  I hope they found it funny, because I certainly didn't.

WildChild@Heart

• Someday my trees will be this big too!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:58:16 PM »
I can I please see a show of hands by anyone here who hasn't had their foot in their mouth.....................anyone?
Just as I suspected, even people with the best manners have had this happen to them.  ;)
“Don't outsmart your common sense."

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 11:48:53 AM »
I can I please see a show of hands by anyone here who hasn't had their foot in their mouth.....................anyone?
Just as I suspected, even people with the best manners have had this happen to them.  ;)

I just wish it didn't happen! lol 

Shortcake

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 01:07:58 PM »

I just wish it didn't happen! lol 

Well I have had plenty of embarrassing foot in the mouth experiences! I feel your pain, but I won't cast you into ehell. You have already punished yourself enough.

I hope you are feeling better about this today.  :)

Edited for spelling
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 01:15:34 PM »
A local radio station was talking about this on Friday.  One guy made the comment that he knows that unless the person specifically tells you she's pregnant, "you don't make any comment unless you see the baby crowning..."  But we've all said stuff that we feel the immediate "Holy Moly, what have I just said?!?" - it's human...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Asha

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 12:55:57 PM »
I think you've served your required time in e-purgatory.   ;)

If it makes you feel any better, a coworker of mine very hesitantly asked if I was expecting.  My body type puts weight and bloat on right in my stomach (oh so attractive - NOT) and the shirt I was wearing that day was a little more form-fitting than usual.  I wasn't at all offended, esp. because poor coworker was obviously embarassed about the mistake.

We've ALL done it.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 12:14:50 PM »
I think you've served your required time in e-purgatory.   ;)

If it makes you feel any better, a coworker of mine very hesitantly asked if I was expecting.  My body type puts weight and bloat on right in my stomach (oh so attractive - NOT) and the shirt I was wearing that day was a little more form-fitting than usual.  I wasn't at all offended, esp. because poor coworker was obviously embarassed about the mistake.

We've ALL done it.

Thanks.  At least my face doesn't turn purple anymore when I think about it! lol

auntmeegs

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 11:59:09 PM »
Plus, you didn't really assume.  You didn't see someone who was chubby or had a belly and ASSUMED they were pregs.  You thought this was the actual new pregs couple you heard about.  And you were told that the mama-to-be was not really showing yet, so how were you to know?  I think you get a pass...

Pixie

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 03:20:38 PM »
I just want you to remember 3 things for me.

1. She will have forgotten this long before you will.

2. To err is human, all you did was to prove your humanity.

3.  We have ALL done silly things like this.  You are now a member of the club.  Welcome!

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
I think it turned out fine, from the sounds of it. You mistook them for another couple you'd been told about, and that was explained to them so she understood why you asked. Don't worry about it too much.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 03:42:16 AM »
It's been a couple weeks and I still cringe when I think about it!