Author Topic: House Warming Gift Registry?  (Read 3558 times)

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
Re: House Warming Gift Registry?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 06:47:07 PM »
Sooo, my friend casually said this weekend that they're going to combine their housewarming with a cinco de mayo party (sp) so I have a feeling she might have taken my advice.   I'm interested to see what happens...

Maybe she'll register for cinco de mayo themed gifts: pinatas, sombreros etc.  ;)  Although I don't think you can registery for those at Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn. 

Florida

kiero

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 06:50:12 PM »
It's simple.  Only tell people who ask about the registry.  If someone asks whether she has one - they are unlikely to be offended by it.  Those of us on this board who would be offended would never think to ask after one. 

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 09:25:05 AM »
Do housewarming parties use RSVP's?  I thought they were more like open houses.

Boy this etiquette stuff is evolving by the minute and not for the betterment of mankind. :-\

Freckles

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 08:46:36 AM »
Drum roll please..... the Cinco DeMayo (sp?) slash housewarming party invitations have arrived and they state specifically that no housewarming gifts are being asked for unless guest would like to "stock the bar" which will probably be used at the party.  So.... she did take my advice against the whole housewarming registry!   8)

Lynda_34

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 12:05:20 PM »
So this sounds to me like she values your friendship too. Congrats.

Freckles

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 12:10:48 PM »
So this sounds to me like she values your friendship too. Congrats.

It at least means she believes I give good advice about stuff like this!  She's started calling me "Etiquette Queen".  8)

Yeah, I think over the last few years we've both matured and understand our friendship better.  I also think her husband has been a good influence on her.

sandy

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 05:49:50 PM »
I understand your dilemna, but I dont think i could go along with that....first off, I really am turned off by 'registries' even for weddings, (i knwo i may be in the minority there, but i prefer the old fashioned notion of people being invited, period, and the recipients being grateful for their company and whatever gifts they may bring..)

so idea of a very wealthy couple telling people what to bring them for their second large house, is well, kind of sickening to me.
Its great you want to be friends and not let things go bad again, but i agree with a poster who said if you cannot tell her your honest feeling of being uncomfortable, it's not that solid of a friendship, it sounds more one-way to me.
I think a friendship built more mutually, with give and take and being able to appreciate and listen to a friends concerns is the only kind I'd want to begin with. Maybe the first step to having that with her is sit down, tell her how happy you are for her, and that your glad to be friends, and that you hope she will want to hear your thoughts/ feelings as well, then go on to tell her you would like to help with the party, but your personal philosophy is you don't do registries? That sounds more general,...it's just your policy in any social setting, not just hers, ?? That's the middleground i'd have to take on it..

Freckles

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 10:01:06 AM »
Shes much better than she used to be and our friendship has gotten stronger since this housewarming idea originally came up.   If it were to be discussed now Id probably just tell her straight out that its very poor etiquette and looks extremely greedy to A) ask for gifts for a second home and B) ask for gifts in the first place!

Im very careful with who Im friends with and while she does do or say things that make me raise my eyebrows I still love her and value our friendship.