News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• June 30, 2015, 03:40:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Paying it forward"....acts of kindness done for you by strangers  (Read 96418 times)

JoW

Re: "Paying it forward"....acts of kindness done for you by strangers
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2014, 10:38:35 PM »
Someone took a 1/2 gallon bottle of milk out of the cooler in my car.  And yes, that was an act of kindness.

It happened 30 years ago, on a hot, humid summer afternoon.  I was in a car accident.  I left by ambulance, my car was towed to the nearest junk yard.  The next day DH drove to the junk yard to retrieve the stuff in my car.  That stuff included a small cooler with that milk in it.  After 24 hours in the sun in that climate DH expected the milk to be spoiled and the cooler ruined.  Instead the milk was missing and the cooler was fine.  Someone save the cooler by removing the milk. 

After that wreck I spent 3 months on crutches.  I that time I never had to open a door for myself in public.  Every time I approached a door someone would hold it open for me.   

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2014, 10:40:54 PM »
Someone took a 1/2 gallon bottle of milk out of the cooler in my car.  And yes, that was an act of kindness.

It happened 30 years ago, on a hot, humid summer afternoon.  I was in a car accident.  I left by ambulance, my car was towed to the nearest junk yard.  The next day DH drove to the junk yard to retrieve the stuff in my car.  That stuff included a small cooler with that milk in it.  After 24 hours in the sun in that climate DH expected the milk to be spoiled and the cooler ruined.  Instead the milk was missing and the cooler was fine.  Someone save the cooler by removing the milk. 

After that wreck I spent 3 months on crutches.  I that time I never had to open a door for myself in public.  Every time I approached a door someone would hold it open for me.

Re the crutches - as nice as it was, I wouldn't call it an "act of kindness".  I would call it basic courtesy, in that anyone who wasn't doing it would be rude.

MaryR

« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2015, 08:54:56 PM »
I was reminded about this thread today. Back when I was young and poor, strangers would help me out. I always remembered their kindness and even 50 years ago, "pay it forward" was a common expression. I always tried to do that when I was able. Several years ago, when gas was so expensive, I was at the local Mom and Pop place getting milk. The young lady in front of me paid for $5 of gas with change. I looked out the window and saw that she had an old beat up car with a child seat in the backseat. I figured that she wasn't going to get very far on that gas (we are out in the sticks), so I gave the clerk (who knew me by name) and told him to fill up her tank with it and to not tell her who did it, but to just pay it forward.

I had to wait for her to fill her tank so Les could run my card, so I went over to the area that people used to fill out the lotto cards and pretended to be picking my numbers. She came in just crying and asked who had been her angel, then choked out thanks and ran out.

Today, I was in the same store (again, out in the sticks, not a lot of options if you just need 1 or 2 things) and Les gave me a card. From what he told me, the young lady came in last week and asked if he remembered her angel and he said that he did, so she gave him a card and asked him to give it to me the next time I came in.

It was a thank you card. In it she had written that due to my kindness, she was able to get to her job interview and back home. She said that she had gotten the job and due to the gas I bought, she was able to show up at work on time everyday and was now a manager. She said that her life was much improved, so much so that now she was able to pay it forward and she thought about me every time she was able to do it.

I'm still crying, and I know I shouldn't have bumped this old thread, but I just wanted to let you all know that you can change someone's life for the better by doing something simple and random.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2015, 01:56:48 AM »
That was worth a thread bump. What a nice story.

Mustard

« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2015, 03:10:42 AM »
Wow, MaryR.... What a wonderful story.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2015, 01:48:33 PM »
Absolutely worthy of a thread bump!!!

And now I have something in my eye...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

MaryR

« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2015, 05:16:32 PM »
Thanks all. I don't want to edit that post this late, but what she actually said was that due to the gas I bought her, she was able to get to work on time until she got her first paycheck. Its hard to type when I can't see.

I'm not the hero in this story. I could afford to help someone who looked like she was in need. The young lady is the hero. She was trying to improve her life and the life of her child. She worked hard and did it. Being a manager of a fast food place isn't the most prestigious job in the world, but its demanding work and shows that she just needed a helping hand at the right moment.

She was also very gracious and kind enough to figure out a way to thank the stranger who helped. When I get upset at what I see on the news, I'm going to reread her card and start crying again.

Mustard

« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2015, 04:27:17 AM »
Maybe not 'the' hero of the story, but certainly 'a' hero. The young lady couldn't have done what she has done without your act of kindness and generosity.  Don't write yourself out of this heart-warming story!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2015, 02:38:39 PM »
Thanks all. I don't want to edit that post this late, but what she actually said was that due to the gas I bought her, she was able to get to work on time until she got her first paycheck.

This points out how very hard it can be to get out of poverty. You have to have enough gas money to -get- to work!

How great that your help was able to pay dividends. And yes, you're right--your kindness was the start, but the true hero of the story is the woman who took that help and made it work for her in a permanent way.

MariaE

• Super Hero!
  • So many books, so little time
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »
Awesome story! Yay!

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

gmatoy

« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2015, 10:33:17 PM »
So worth a bump! Thank you.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #191 on: May 26, 2015, 03:47:21 AM »
Maybe not 'the' hero of the story, but certainly 'a' hero. The young lady couldn't have done what she has done without your act of kindness and generosity.  Don't write yourself out of this heart-warming story!
exactly. not every person pays attention to people around them, looks out for others, thinks about what they can do to help, and does it in a gracious and tactful manner.

What a beatiful story.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #192 on: May 27, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
I hope this doesn't come off as a brag, but I saw someone in a tough spot today and I wanted to help so I did.

There was a young guy in front of me at the grocery today, he was buying just a few basics...eggs, milk, bread, a couple cans of soup, a package of chicken and a package of ground beef.  When the cashier told him his total, he started worriedly counting out change and asking the cashier to remove this item or that one.  I could see the stress and embarrassment in his face.  I've been that person; my heart went out to him.  I waved my hand to get the cashier's attention and said, "Put it back on the bill.  All of it.  I'll get it."

The young guy looked shocked and grateful and tried to offer to pay me what he could while I picked up the tab for the rest, but I wouldn't have it.  It wasn't that much and while I'm not always able to afford to help out, today I could.  So I did. 
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2015, 07:16:47 PM »
I hope this doesn't come off as a brag, but I saw someone in a tough spot today and I wanted to help so I did.

There was a young guy in front of me at the grocery today, he was buying just a few basics...eggs, milk, bread, a couple cans of soup, a package of chicken and a package of ground beef.  When the cashier told him his total, he started worriedly counting out change and asking the cashier to remove this item or that one.  I could see the stress and embarrassment in his face.  I've been that person; my heart went out to him.  I waved my hand to get the cashier's attention and said, "Put it back on the bill.  All of it.  I'll get it."

The young guy looked shocked and grateful and tried to offer to pay me what he could while I picked up the tab for the rest, but I wouldn't have it.  It wasn't that much and while I'm not always able to afford to help out, today I could.  So I did.

And that is good Karma coming your way right there! What a wonderful thing to do.

Someone did that for me once. I had less than $5 until payday and that person buying my milk and eggs is what saved me. I have done it for 4 or 5 people since, and I will continue to pay it forward and hope that they will pay it forward.

You made the world a better place today :)

MaryR

« Reply #194 on: May 27, 2015, 11:21:43 PM »

And that is good Karma coming your way right there! What a wonderful thing to do.

Someone did that for me once. I had less than $5 until payday and that person buying my milk and eggs is what saved me. I have done it for 4 or 5 people since, and I will continue to pay it forward and hope that they will pay it forward.

You made the world a better place today :)

Yes, the world is a better place due to both of you, thank you so much for doing it. And thank you for sharing it, little or big acts of kindness really do make the world better.