News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 30, 2016, 04:01:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Paying it forward"....acts of kindness done for you by strangers  (Read 106231 times)

Gladly

Re: "Paying it forward"....acts of kindness done for you by strangers
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »
I hadn't seen this wonderful thread before, but I'd like to add the story of a lovely lorry driver, and confess my shame at my initial thoughts about him.

Many years ago when I was in my early 20s, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I had my first car.  Like many cars of that ilk, it more or less held together with a bit of tlc, and usually got me where I needed to go.  The story happens on a wet, cold February night in Scotland.  It was about 10pm and I was driving home after visiting a friend.  The car decided it didn't like cold, wet February nights and decided to go on strike.  I managed to coast into a lay-by that actually had a phone box in it.  (This was before mobile phones - remember the dinosaurs?)  I phoned my poor, long-suffering Dad and got back into the car to wait for him. I knew it would be about an hour before he could get there.  After about 20 minutes a lorry pulled in behind me. The driver got out and came and tapped on my window.  I opened it a crack and he asked if I needed any help.  I said I was fine and my Dad would be here in a minute or two, and closed the window.  He tapped on it again and asked if I was cold. He had some hot soup in his cab.  Yes, I was freezing, but there was no way I was getting out of the car or even opening the window any more than that tiny crack.  I was beginning to freak by then, but tried to stay calm.  I told him that I was perfectly OK and repeated that my Dad was on his way and would be there in a couple of minutes.  The driver walked back to his cab and I watched him get in, then climb down again, bend down behind my car, get back into the cab and drive off.  Once he was out of sight I got out to see what on earth he had done.  On the kerb, behind my car was his thermos flask of soup and a packet of biscuits.

RevMaxx

« Reply #196 on: December 06, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »
BG: I'm in my 50's, walk oddly/hunched from asthenia and park in handicapped spots on my 'bad' days (with placard, of course). end BG

I pull into a local large strip mall, into one of two HC spots as another driver pulls into 2nd HC spot.
Other HC driver and I slowly walk into same store.  At the only checkout line with eight customers,
pleasant chat exchanged all around about the weather.
I have four heavy bags, so with literally steps to my truck I say, "I'll come back in a sec for the other two."
Other HC driver hops out of line, "I got that for ya."  She grabbed the other two and we put them in my truck. "Thank you!"  "Have great holidays!" and she was back in the store. And she was a little person. Carrying my heavies. While the able-bodied gents just stared.

~~Reason #759 for my faith in humanity.

What sign was I born under you ask? Under the sign, "No Parking".

Peppergirl

« Reply #197 on: December 08, 2015, 01:41:33 PM »
This is a small one, but I recently had my coffee paid for by the person in front of me at the Starbucks drive thru. 

Unfortunately, I was unable to pass it to the next person because I was intending to pay with a free coupon on my app (I had no cash or cards on me), but I fully intend to do the same for someone else the next time I get coffee or carry out. 

JoW

« Reply #198 on: December 26, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »
Background:
I moved to this house on Dec. 18.  I brought the large snow blower that was critically important at my previous home. 
I twisted my knee in October which made my limp much more visible. 

Omaha got a surprise snow storm, 8", on Dec 24.  Late that day while I was putting on my boots to move snow I looked out the window and saw one of my neighbors clearing my driveway and sidewalk.  I went out and thanked him.  There's more snow in the forecast for Sunday and Monday.  I'll clear his when I clear mine. 

gepetto

« Reply #199 on: January 02, 2016, 08:02:17 PM »
A few years ago I lost my husband.

I've lost track of all the people who have helped clear the driveway of snow -some neighbors, some strangers.  I managed to get away for my first vacation in years, and while I was gone, it snowed again.  Not too much, but some.  I picked up my car at the airport, drove home, and the driveway was clear.  I went out the next morning for a better look, and something didn't look right.  I called the handyman, who does have a key to my house (and thus the snow blower).  He had come over to clear the driveway, but someone had already plowed it.  He raked the roof, instead.

I never found out who the plow driver was that week.  There are, literally, four or five usual suspects.

I have a new consort, but he has some mobility problems. The neighbors still keep an eye out for signs that we're struggling.

Roe

« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2016, 12:10:07 PM »
How did I miss this thread?

We were traveling out of town when our car stalled. Luckily, we had stopped for coffee so we were at a fast food location.  A nice gentelman gave our SUV a "jump".  Turns out our car needed something else and he knew just the thing.  Thing was, neither of us had the part.  So what did this man do? He went to the automotive store, bought the part and brought it back to us and fixed what needed fixing. And he refused to accept payment for the part or for the labor. He said that others had helped him in similar situations and he was just paying it forward. DH and I were astounded and humbled by his actions. 

I pray he has been blessed, wherever he is.