News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 29, 2016, 05:28:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Everyone was quiet so the baby could sleep  (Read 1101 times)

mime

Everyone was quiet so the baby could sleep
« on: January 27, 2016, 10:35:18 AM »
I was running errands with babymime, and he dozed off in the car at lunchtime. I had been looking forward to lunch at a particularly loud fast-casual place, so I went there to get some carryout. I knew that babymime would wake up, and that was fine since it wasn't quite nap time and he'd sleep better once we got home, but I wrapped him up and carried him into the restaurant with as little disturbance as possible, so he would gently ease-out of sleep.

When I got inside, the line was a bit long, but moves quickly. There was, as always, a variety of people there, and most were in groups of 2-5, chatting with each other. As people saw babymime asleep on my shoulder, they got quiet (not perfectly silent; just lower voices). I didn't realize it at first, but gradually I became aware that they were doing it. He slept all the way until I had paid and was grabbing a napkin and fork. One woman looked a bit disappointed or sympathetic that he woke up, and another guy said he was surprised that babymime was able to sleep in that place for as long as he did. We exchanged a few words, I said something to the effect of "he was due to wake up anyway" and "so thoughtful of everyone in line to be so quiet" and then we were off in our own directions.

I'd *never* expect this from a bunch of strangers in a public place. It was above and beyond any rules of etiquette! It was just so sweet that all these different clusters of people responded together like that. It made my day.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: Everyone was quiet so the baby could sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 10:37:26 AM »
Sometimes people can be really cool.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Bottlecaps

• She boxed her shadow and she won.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 10:58:16 PM »
How nice and considerate of everyone! :)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Chez Miriam

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:12:36 AM »
I love hearing stories about people behavingly spectacularly well - thanks so much for posting this, Mime! ;D
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich