News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 05, 2015, 09:36:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Paying it forward"....acts of kindness done for you by strangers  (Read 98364 times)

Gladly

Re: "Paying it forward"....acts of kindness done for you by strangers
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »
I hadn't seen this wonderful thread before, but I'd like to add the story of a lovely lorry driver, and confess my shame at my initial thoughts about him.

Many years ago when I was in my early 20s, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I had my first car.  Like many cars of that ilk, it more or less held together with a bit of tlc, and usually got me where I needed to go.  The story happens on a wet, cold February night in Scotland.  It was about 10pm and I was driving home after visiting a friend.  The car decided it didn't like cold, wet February nights and decided to go on strike.  I managed to coast into a lay-by that actually had a phone box in it.  (This was before mobile phones - remember the dinosaurs?)  I phoned my poor, long-suffering Dad and got back into the car to wait for him. I knew it would be about an hour before he could get there.  After about 20 minutes a lorry pulled in behind me. The driver got out and came and tapped on my window.  I opened it a crack and he asked if I needed any help.  I said I was fine and my Dad would be here in a minute or two, and closed the window.  He tapped on it again and asked if I was cold. He had some hot soup in his cab.  Yes, I was freezing, but there was no way I was getting out of the car or even opening the window any more than that tiny crack.  I was beginning to freak by then, but tried to stay calm.  I told him that I was perfectly OK and repeated that my Dad was on his way and would be there in a couple of minutes.  The driver walked back to his cab and I watched him get in, then climb down again, bend down behind my car, get back into the cab and drive off.  Once he was out of sight I got out to see what on earth he had done.  On the kerb, behind my car was his thermos flask of soup and a packet of biscuits.