Author Topic: Honest customer  (Read 6985 times)

Musicwoman

Honest customer
« on: December 08, 2006, 06:46:43 PM »
This happened 2 weeks ago to my friend Helen.  She and Clare run a small shop which sells, among other things, high-quality costume jewellry.  During one frantically busy period, a lady (in her mid 30s) came in and picked up a necklace and earring set she'd had on lay-by.  The final payment was $70.

The next day the lady was back, politely explaining to Helen that when she'd picked up her layby she'd been undercharged.

Pardon? said Helen.  UNDERCHARGED???????

The customer handed over her payment record, pointing out the addition error that had made the final payment one hundred dollars less than it should have been.  Then she smilingly handed over her card and paid the money.

Helen and Clare were stunned.  They are used to customers stealing from them, complaining about the prices and trying to rip them off.  A customer politely correcting a mistake which was going to cost her a hundred dollars, a loss they would otherwise have had to eat, is a new experience.

When Helen thanked the woman for her honesty, she replied "I didn't really have a choice.  I love this necklace, I don't want to feel like a thief every time I wear it."  Yay for good customers!

Changing the world...one Thank You note at a time.

ganjin

Re: Honest customer
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 06:54:05 PM »
I hope she feels like a million dollars.   She made ME smile. :)

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 02:07:37 AM »
Keep those stories coming, they restore my sagging faith in humanity....I've had customers come back to tell me that I undercharged them, or that they didn't pay for an item on accident, but they were very few and far between. Kudos big time to that lady!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

CynthiaBelle

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 02:11:02 AM »
Good for her!!!!

That's so great.

Rei-chan

• It's been awhile, but it's good to be back!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 02:15:55 AM »
We had a guy like that in my store last week.  He came up to the counter and handed me a long receipt and a tag with a bar code and explained that he was in on Black Friday and in going over his receipts noticed that he had not been charged for his $85 golf bag.  After thanking him profusely for his honesty, I called the manager and got permission to give him a 20% discount for being so honest.  It really renewed my faith in people because usually we get a lot of customers that try to be "cute" about getting extra discounts and such, but that is a topic for another thread.......

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »
When I went to Yakima, Washington for my grandpa's funeral, I reserved a single motel room for three days.  That night, my sister came in unexpectedly from Germany, so our relatives had her come and stay with me because there was no room left at their house.  The next morning I went to the office and explained the situation, and told the manager that I wanted to pay the difference between single and double occupancy.  The manager told me not to worry about it, and thanked me for letting her know.