Author Topic: I think it's getting over used  (Read 2933 times)

SammyKit

I think it's getting over used
« on: March 22, 2008, 01:38:56 PM »
I think this phrase is being way overused and I find it quite annoying to see the frequency with which people somewhat loosely toss "the zinger" around in threads at each other especially when an assumption has actually not been made. It comes across as very petulant sometimes, almost as if using "the phrase" will really SHOW them whose boss.  If it keeps getting used as often as it is it will soon become meaningless and just show that the person couldn't come up with something original to say in their own words but instead had to rely on a catchphrase to say you disagree with someone.

When I use the works "she didn't appear" I don't appreciate being told I've made "an interesting assumption".  I didn't make an assumption, I made an observation on how something looked on the outside.  it was not presented as a statement of fact - that would be an assumption.

Using this inappropriately when it does not apply I think is rude in and of itself.  I don't think just because you disagree with someone that they have necessarily made "an interesting assumption".  I would like to see people try and always use their own words.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
Re: I think it's getting over used
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 01:55:40 PM »
I think it's an interesting assumption that you assume it's used too much! :)

*Runs away and hides. :D

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 02:08:40 PM »
Yep, most overused phrase on the board, without a doubt.

Trish- Lol  :D

Myrindyl

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 03:14:01 PM »
From what I've seen, in most instances where this phrase was seriously suggested the poster is specifically asking for something to say when they're caught flat-footed and can't come up with a response of their own that they can be reasonably sure won't be rude.

Or maybe we're looking at different threads  :)
Nothing says classy cocktails like monkeys.

Sarah4Me

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 02:38:14 PM »
Add me as someone who thinks it's over used here on the forum.  It seems to be used sometimes for the smallest things.  Every single one of us makes assumptions about things on a daily basis so I think extreme care should be used when one decides to hurl this phrase out into cyberspace.  IMHO it's rapidly losing meaning.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 02:49:48 PM »
I agree. It's very much overused.

WAIA and the other "lines" and catchphrases were originally intended for use in Real Life situations where people needed a quick, neutral reply to shut down a nosy line of questioning or presumptuous statement.

On a message board, where there is plenty of time to read the message, ponder its intent, and formulate a reply in their own words, those same lines come off as trite, flip, and childish - like a middle schooler trying to get an, "ooohhh, buurrnnn!" reaction from classmates.

I don't mind it so much when people do it a joking manner - I've done that myself - but it irritates the snot out of me when it's used as part of a serious reply.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 03:38:43 PM »
On a message board, where there is plenty of time to read the message, ponder its intent, and formulate a reply in their own words, those same lines come off as trite, flip, and childish - like a middle schooler trying to get an, "ooohhh, buurrnnn!" reaction from classmates.

This is the impression I get, too: that the person couldn't think of anything original to say. When I read that response I tend to think less of the person who posted it. I know that sounds terrible, but to use a phrase intended to stop or respond to rude people who say nasty things to strangers in real life on an etiquette board... it just seems wrong to me.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 04:05:34 PM »
Yes, it should be used with extreme care, and there is an implied insult which doesn't really give the other person an opening to respond.  "What an interesting assumption" really means "I think you are off your rocker, but I don't want to get into an argument so I am phrasing it another way." 

IRL, I recently used the similar, "What an interesting perspective."  I really meant, "I think you are a nutjob, but getting in an heated political discussion will interfere with my beer drinking."  In about 5 sentences the guy had turned the discussion to Israel/ Hamas/ etc.  The more polite "mmmhuh" probably would have encouraged him, and caused him to think I agreed. 

auntmeegs

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 07:18:57 PM »
I feel the same way about "no I'm afraid that won't be possible."

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 02:47:36 AM »
Right after I posted to a similar thread, I found this recent thread. Seems I'm not the only one with this opinion.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 03:28:01 PM »

WAIA and the other "lines" and catchphrases were originally intended for use in Real Life situations where people needed a quick, neutral reply to shut down a nosy line of questioning or presumptuous statement.

I believe that's so.