Author Topic: TQ tries to invite herself to a wedding/reception final? update pg 4  (Read 18107 times)

veryfluffy

Re: TQ tries to invite herself to a wedding/reception
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2008, 07:40:38 AM »
In the UK, the concept of 'a wedding must be open to the public' is so that people can object if they wish to do so. It is a necessary part of the wedding ceremony to ask if anyone has an objection and therefore even those people not invited must be permitted to enter the building and voicetheir objection if they so desire.

Weddings in the UK must be in a venue open to the public. Until recently, they could only take place in either a church or a registry office. Now other places, such as hotels, castles and even sports stadia can apply for a license to hold weddings, but they cannot do so just for a one-off event.

The effect of this was best seen when the location for the civil ceremony between Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles was changed from Windsor Castle to the nearby Guildhall in Windsor. This was because they suddenly discovered that the licensing the royal castle for civil weddings would require opening it up to other prospective couples for at least three years.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Re: TQ tries to invite herself to a wedding/reception sm update pg 3
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2008, 08:49:09 AM »
In the UK, the concept of 'a wedding must be open to the public' is so that people can object if they wish to do so. It is a necessary part of the wedding ceremony to ask if anyone has an objection and therefore even those people not invited must be permitted to enter the building and voicetheir objection if they so desire.

In practice, I have never heard of anyone attending a wedding ceremony unless they actually had an invitation to the event.

What happens if someone objects?

Depends on the reason for the objection - if the bride or groom is already married then the officiant wouldn't perform the wedding. Likewise if a soup opera drama unfolded in which it was discovered they were actually brother and sister. If the groom's ex girlfriend appears to announce they slept together last night, the decision would be up to the bride. Like Trish said - Catfight! hehehehe

I now have visions of Jane Eyre in my head.

amaiaisabella

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2008, 10:00:03 AM »
I think you need walkie-talkies.   ;D

I can see it:

TLD: Leaving checkpoint one.  Switching cabs.  No pursuit detected.

DH:  Roger.  Starting decoy sequence, repeat, Operation Smoke Screen is in effect.  *takes Away Message off TLD's AIM and leaves house*

TLD:  Check.  Passing checkpoint two, possible TQ sighting.  Moving to Plan B!  Repeat, initiating Operation Shoe Sale!  *presses red button*

*overhead, light plane flies by advertising Jimmy Choos for 80% off in TLD's immediate area; TLD escapes into subway system*

I could go on, but you get the idea.   8)

With Mission Impossible music playing, of course! :)

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2008, 11:55:26 AM »
Text 1: Call me, I need to know about this weekend.

Response: "Sorry, I thought I already told you I was busy this weekend, and won't be able to get together. Maybe we can get together next weekend."  ;D
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2008, 01:16:04 PM »
I purposely told the minister marrying me that I didn't want the line about anyone objecting (which he still used, I knew from seeing other weddings in that church).

I was afraid that if he asked, Mother would jump up and start objecting because I was supposed to stay single and live with her forever.  ::)
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Kaylee

• Super Hero!
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 10:17:06 PM »

I can see it:

DH:  Roger.  Starting decoy sequence, repeat, Operation Smoke Screen is in effect.  *takes Away Message off TLD's AIM and leaves house*

TLD:  Check.  Passing checkpoint two, possible TQ sighting.  Moving to Plan B!  Repeat, initiating Operation Shoe Sale!  *presses red button*

*overhead, light plane flies by advertising Jimmy Choos for 80% off in TLD's immediate area; TLD escapes into subway system*

Of course!!    ;D

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »

I can see it:

Of course!!    ;D

And don't forget the black suits and sunglasses.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
Weddings in the UK must be in a venue open to the public. Until recently, they could only take place in either a church or a registry office. Now other places, such as hotels, castles and even sports stadia can apply for a license to hold weddings, but they cannot do so just for a one-off event.

Really? You're not allowed to get married in your own home?

The effect of this was best seen when the location for the civil ceremony between Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles was changed from Windsor Castle to the nearby Guildhall in Windsor. This was because they suddenly discovered that the licensing the royal castle for civil weddings would require opening it up to other prospective couples for at least three years.

Can you imagine the people scrambling to arrange their wedding at Windsor Castle? What a madhouse that would be.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Abby T

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2008, 09:29:51 AM »

Really.

There has been some mumbling about changing this but there is nothing in the pipeline at the moment. In fact, until about 10-15 years ago, the only approved venues for weddings were religious buildings such as churches and registry offices. It wasn't possible to, for example, marry in a hotel ballroom until the law was changed to allow secular premises other than registry offices to apply for a licence to conduct weddings.

Now, any building that is open to the public (such as a hotel, gallery, stately home etc) can apply for a licence to conduct weddings on the premises but they cannot do so for 'one off' weddings - the venue must be available to be used for weddings for three years (which is the length of the licence).

There is also something that states the venue must have four walls and a roof and be static (or something like that) so I think that boats cannot licenced. Bummer - I think getting married on a boat would be kinda cool.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2008, 09:44:38 AM »

Not at all. That's why UK weddings are much more expensive to start with. I paid 350 in church fees for the ceremony alone.

Asha

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2008, 11:24:50 AM »

Depends on the reason for the objection - if the bride or groom is already married then the officiant wouldn't perform the wedding. Likewise if a soup opera drama unfolded in which it was discovered they were actually brother and sister. If the groom's ex girlfriend appears to announce they slept together last night, the decision would be up to the bride. Like Trish said - Catfight! hehehehe

I now have visions of Jane Eyre in my head.
LOL  me too!

It's Friday... any updates?  (I admit, I feel for the OP but I'm dying of curiousity to see how this plays out.)

amaiaisabella

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2008, 12:30:44 PM »

I can see it:

Of course!!    ;D

And don't forget the black suits and sunglasses.

I must insist the black suits be catsuits! At least for Trish, not so sure about her husband. :P

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2008, 02:35:34 PM »
Well, the wedding is happening right now. Since they were getting married in city hall, only family was invited. The reception is at 6 tonight. TQ is supposed to be on a plane on her way into town, so if I hear from her it won't be until it lands, and I'm just not going to answer it. I'm sure I'll get an earful though when I talk to her AFTER the reception, especially when I tell her I can't make it to her Mom's party. I'll update as soon as there is any more.

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2008, 12:11:56 AM »
UPDATE

Well, the reception was nice. There were only about 20-25 people there. Family, the groom's boss, and about 6 friends. That was all. This was for 2 reasons, 1 the budget, and 2 the bride is still pretty shy and he didn't want to overwhelm her with meeting tons of people.

TQ called me FIVE more times WHILE at the reception, not including the 2 times on the way. ::) I called her back on the way home and she was TICKED and asked why I didn't take her. I swear my jaw about fell off...
Trish: "What's the matter with you, you sound like you're mad."
TQ: "I am! There was a party, and I didn't get to go, and I wanted to meet this girl!!" (right, the bride was a 34ish old WOMAN who isn't on display!)
Trish: Well, I told you I wasn't going to take you."
TQ: "But he knows me!" (They've met 3 or 4 times remember?"
Trish: "He knows a lot of people they didn't invite."
TQ: "I'm special." Swear to God, I'm not making that up, DH heard and about choked.
Trish: "Why?"
TQ: "I'm from out of town." ::)
Then, I spent the next 20 minutes being asked about finding Ally McBeal clips online and being told I "sucked" because I didn't watch the show in high school because I worked. She said "Figures." when I told her it was aired on a night I regularly worked.

I think she'll probably just show up here tomorrow while my mom and her boyfriend are here, since she wants to meet this "boy" (50ish year old MAN) We'll see.

OH, and when I got home there were TWO more messages on our machine about how she was calling to get info on the reception, and I HAD to call her.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: TQ tries to invite herself to a wedding/reception final? update pg 4
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2008, 12:18:11 AM »
Dang. Just.....

Wow. That, right there, is nerve, chutzpah, and self-centeredness all in one.

"I'm special - I'm from out of town" Holy cow Trish. I'm glad you had a witness, or I dunno if anyone would believe this gal!
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning