Author Topic: Sometimes you just can't win  (Read 2097 times)

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
Sometimes you just can't win
« on: February 18, 2007, 06:30:16 PM »
The post about Code for Babyshower brought back a most frustrating memory of mine.

The family that I few up next door to had 3 children, the oldest a girl my age the youngest a girl about 10 years younger than me. Youngest daughter was close to my mother growing up since both her parents worked and my mom would sometimes take care of her until they moved away. She moved back to our hometown in her 20's and I introduced her to her a friend of mine and they decided to get married.

My mom was recently widowed during all of this and was invited to the wedding but not the bridal shower, which I thought was weird and my mother was hurt by it. Mom also wasn't invited to the engagement party (I was). When she became pregnant she didn't  invite my mother to the babyshower (I of course was). So my mother was feeling rather left out and I finally asked the bride/mother, why she didn't invite my mom (very rude, but she is like a little sister to me and our families have always been very close) Bride/mother says, well I've always wanted her there, but I never wanted her to feel like I was just asking for presents. But I'm sending her an invitation right away.

When my mother recieves the invite what does she say after two years of complaining that she's never invited. "Well I bet she just wants a present".

UGH! I could have pulled my hair out, but instead I just rolled my eyes and kept my mouth shut. Seriously sometimes you can never win.

Liz0229

Re: Sometimes you just can't win
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 10:47:31 AM »
  Honestly, and no offense to you, I can see your mother's point.  After not being invited to all the other events, she's finally invited to something. I probably would have thought the same thing.  Did you tell your mom what your friend had said?  And really, what kind of reason is that anyway?  Assuming you and your mom are still close, and she's still close with that family, why didn't she get invited?  Your mom would have always had the option of declining.