Author Topic: Adventures in Potlucking  (Read 4461 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Adventures in Potlucking
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 09:51:38 PM »
This is a true story. No, seriously.

In the university department where I used to study, we would have a department party before Christmas break, but both we and the department were perpetually short of funds, so it was potluck.

A friend of mine decided to prepare a dish for the party, but for some reason now lost in the midst of time, he only had access to a French cookbook. No problem, with his fine Oxford education, he figured he could use it.

He came across a recepe for Steak au Poivre, which looked like an intriguing one-pot meal, so he bought the ingredients, spent the afternoon in the kitchen, and produced his masterpiece at the party that evening.

The only problem was, as the rest of us pointed out, Steak au Poivre translates as Steak with Peppers, and he should have used green peppers. Instead, he had mistaken Poivre with Poire, or Pears, and had basically cooked up a big batch of Steak with Pears Stew.

The early attendees at the party amused themselves by watching the latecomers dish up what appeared to be a steak and potato stew, only to find the first bite unsettlingly ... sweet and pearish.

I don't think we allowed him to take part in the cooking ever again.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Minmom3

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 12:54:36 AM »
<<. He claimed that he had no idea what a potluck was because they are never done in California.>>

Oh horse puckey!  I've lived in California my entire life, I'm almost 52, and I've lost count of how many dozens of potlucks I've gone to.  What a mooch......!!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

ItZWhoUKnow

• I can't re-
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 03:01:14 AM »
My mothers family always has a Christmas party the Saturday before Christmas. It's always at my Aunt Hazel's and it's potluck. She provides the deli ham and turkey and all the fixin' s for sandwiches.

For some reason, years ago, my poor mother was assigned to bring the potato salad so now that is all she gets to bring.

My parents were divorced about 5 years ago so she now lives on one income. Mom is a hairdresser so that pretty much means, the more she works, the more money she makes and the holidays are busy for her. The Saturday of the party was no exception. She worked a little later than she was supposed to and ran out of time to make the darn patato salad so she ran by the grocery store deli and ordered 10 lbs (this is for at least 50 people). She took it home, put it in her own bowl and went to the party.

After all the festivities, her very clueless SIL remarked how much better her potato salad was this year.....OOPS and Ouch!
But it's never too late to correct the faults so many others made ~Midtown

alohomora

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 05:11:17 PM »
I heard about this incident from a friend of a friend, and it makes me laugh everytime I think about it  :):

My friend worked in a small group (maybe 15 people) and every few months they would have a potluck.  One guy in the group was notorious for the snacks that he usually had at his desk (a jar of peanut butter and a spoon, a hunk of uncut deli meat and crackers, a block of cheese, etc.).  On potluck days, this guy usually brought sodas or napkins or something along those lines.  That didn't bother anyone, because the only rule they had was if you want to participate you have to bring something.

Well, one time this guy forgot it was potluck day, but he really wanted to participate.  So, when no one was looking, he placed his partially eaten block of cheese on the potluck table and helped him self to the other food.   ;D  As people later walked by the table, they asked who the heck brought a block of cheese. It didn't take them too long to figure it out.   :P

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 05:33:38 PM »
He claimed that he had no idea what a potluck was because they are never done in California.
I call BS on him!  I grew up in CA & lived there until I moved to Hawaii over 16 years ago.  Potluck dinners are part of the "laid back" lifestyle, casual entertaining on the cheap.  My church had regular potluck socials.  My family has occasional potluck meals.  Some men will use any excuse not to prepare food.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius