Author Topic: Using caps  (Read 3525 times)

Tea Drinker

Re: Using caps
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »
I usually type out my post and then go back to do the bold, italic, etc. since I have to use the mouse to click the spell check and post buttons anyway.

I have been guilty of using all caps for one or two words (very rarely and never an entire sentence) when I feel even "bold" is not strong enough :-\ :P.

If even bold italics or underlined italics don't feel strong enough, I figure it's time to stop and take a deep breath, and if I still feel that way, rewrite the sentence to find more emphatic words.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Lynn2000

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »
I do find that thinking about this technical aspect, helps me to think about the content of my post as well, and whether I really need to post that sentiment (in a good way, I mean). I'm kind of glad there's no forum function for a collection of 'draft' posts, because I think mine would be full of rejected thoughts.  :P
~Lynn2000

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 02:39:47 PM »
I usually type out my post and then go back to do the bold, italic, etc. since I have to use the mouse to click the spell check and post buttons anyway.

I have been guilty of using all caps for one or two words (very rarely and never an entire sentence) when I feel even "bold" is not strong enough :-\ :P.

If even bold italics or underlined italics don't feel strong enough, I figure it's time to stop and take a deep breath, and if I still feel that way, rewrite the sentence to find more emphatic words.

Like I said, it's rare I do this and never a full sentence. Just a few times in all the years I've been here and it's usually using all caps for words like "no" or "yes"

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
I don't believe that anything should be in caps, even lol, etc. unless you are angry and want to show it. And yes, I read the etc in the earlier post as etcetera, not internet slang etc without the caps lock. I personally hate when people use caps as it does make me feel as if I'm being shouted at.

Acronyms should be in caps if they are for several words that are in caps. For instance, "FBI" is for "Federal Bureau of Investigation", whereas "lol" is for "laugh out loud".

I use the buttons after I write a post as a way to force myself to proofread. Still, things get by me. Sigh.