Author Topic: Abbreviations/Definitions  (Read 90628 times)

Etta Kett

Re: Abbreviations/Definitions
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
I apologise for inquiring of the source of the term. I wasn't aware that it was rude. I just found it unusual and odd that a term that meant something different everywhere else on the 'net was used here in the same way (kind of) but meant something totally different, and would have enjoyed reading about how it came about.

I don't want to be asking the wrong questions. I have been on many fora and have never in all those years gotten an admin notice. I am embarrassed and ashamed. Forgive me please, I never meant to cause harm.

I think I'll just slip off now.

frogonmytoe

« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »
You got a notice for asking that question? Well, I think that's quite over the top, I didn't see your post as rude at all, only curious.

But then, I'm an etiquette rebel at times and probably would/should be shunned from here if they knew the full truth :P  (I still like some of the advice on here, particularly the "lessons" in the etiquette school)  Don't slink off, come hang out!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2011, 04:06:09 PM »
would have enjoyed reading about how it came about.

I think that's the problem!  I'm not sure many of us even remember how it DID come about! :D  It's just been here for years.  I remember that it originated back on the previous forum site, but I can't remember what poster it was that coined it (do any of the rest of you?)  It's just kind of one of those "EHell traditions." :)

Edited because "traditions" has 2 "i"s in it!

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2011, 04:12:38 PM »
I apologise for inquiring of the source of the term. I wasn't aware that it was rude. I just found it unusual and odd that a term that meant something different everywhere else on the 'net was used here in the same way (kind of) but meant something totally different, and would have enjoyed reading about how it came about.

I don't want to be asking the wrong questions. I have been on many fora and have never in all those years gotten an admin notice. I am embarrassed and ashamed. Forgive me please, I never meant to cause harm.

I think I'll just slip off now.

Seriously?  No harm, no foul!

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2011, 04:24:07 PM »
I can tell you exactly how the term "pod" came to be what it is. It all started when ehell was on Delphooey, and they had the chat feature. One day some members were chatting online and someone mentioned that "pod" should replace the term "word" because it looked the same in type when reversed, or mirror image, or something like that. I wasn't in the chat room, I just remember reading how it came about.

It's just something that caught on.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2011, 04:43:56 PM »
I can tell you exactly how the term "pod" came to be what it is. It all started when ehell was on Delphooey, and they had the chat feature. One day some members were chatting online and someone mentioned that "pod" should replace the term "word" because it looked the same in type when reversed, or mirror image, or something like that. I wasn't in the chat room, I just remember reading how it came about.

It's just something that caught on.

Ok I guess I didn't know exactly how it came about after all! :D  That's interesting!

Mikayla

« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2012, 01:34:50 PM »
Can someone tell me what JADE is?  I've seen it popping up recently and I can't figure it out on my own.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »
Can someone tell me what JADE is?  I've seen it popping up recently and I can't figure it out on my own.

Justify Argue Defend Explain.  :)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »

Justify Argue Defend Explain.  :)
I'll have to remember that gem. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

SiotehCat

« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
I have also seen people use "Jade" a lot.

I have to wonder though. How much of these abbreviations can we use before it becomes text speak.

I don't understand why "Jade" is necessary. Why not just say the actual words?

Hillia

« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »

I have to wonder though. How much of these abbreviations can we use before it becomes text speak.

Because it's only 4 letters as opposed to 25, and the webz is all about acronyms (as are many non-electronic forms of communication).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SiotehCat

« Reply #161 on: October 30, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »

Because it's only 4 letters as opposed to 25, and the webz is all about acronyms (as are many non-electronic forms of communication).

Sure, but I thought that web speak was frowned upon here. I was just wondering at what point it becomes that. I know that some abbreviations are expected, like MIL/FIL/DH, those types.

Hillia

« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2012, 03:22:26 PM »
I think that text speak is frowned upon (u cn rly confuse ppl with it) but standard abbreviations are not (LOL, ROFL, TMI, etc).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SiotehCat

« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2012, 03:32:07 PM »
I think that text speak is frowned upon (u cn rly confuse ppl with it) but standard abbreviations are not (LOL, ROFL, TMI, etc).

I thought that LOL and ROFL were amongst the ones that were frowned upon. I don't see them used much here.

Also, using "JADE" seems unnecessarily confusing. The word "jade" is a real word and already means something.

squeakers

« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »
To avoid confusion I try to write out any shorthand words the first time I use them in a post or thread but then just use the shorthand thereafter.  Saves me time and the website and viewers bandwidth.

"No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, but a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced." We need to think of the electrons!  8)
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin