Author Topic: Abbreviations/Definitions  (Read 97138 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: Abbreviations/Definitions
« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2013, 06:15:03 AM »
What does the term 'cut direct' mean?  There is a thread in Life in General regarding what this term means.  I'm  not sure either, and there are some ideas about it coming up, but I just wonder if admin or the mods have a definitive answer for my own information.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 06:30:11 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

squeakers

« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2013, 08:28:04 AM »
What does the term 'cut direct' mean?  There is a thread in Life in General regarding what this term means.  I'm  not sure either, and there are some ideas about it coming up, but I just wonder if admin or the mods have a definitive answer for my own information.
Thanks.

This thread gives examples and meanings: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=129543.0
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Catananche

« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2013, 07:52:22 AM »
Can you (general you) please take pity on the international members of this forum by writing out the abbreviation you are using once? Some of the abbreviations used can mean different things: DN can be dear niece, dear nephew, dear neighbour. DSS can be dear stepson, stepsister, special snowflake. DD can be dear daughter, dear dog. It took me forever to figure out some of them.

My ideal post would look like this: Here's my story about Dear Niece (DN). Followed by the story.

Even harder to decipher are the personalized abbreviations. When the search function was working it was doable to hunt down who was being referred to in the post. It's now pretty hard to find the first post where a certain abbreviation is used and explained.
It's hard as a newcomer to wade into a community that has been going for so long, it's even harder to start feeling at home if the people around you are using terms/abbreviations you have no idea what they could mean.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »
It was brought up in another thread that state abbreviations can be rough for non-Americans, so here is a web site that lists them all-http://www.50states.com/abbreviations.htm#.UwtzBIVnjW4
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Mikayla

« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »
I know I'll feel like an idiot, but what is FOO?

I googled it and what popped up is a programming term.

I can't figure out what it stands for!

Psychopoesie

« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2014, 12:09:47 PM »
I know I'll feel like an idiot, but what is FOO?

I googled it and what popped up is a programming term.

I can't figure out what it stands for!

Family of origin, I think.