Author Topic: Abbreviations/Definitions  (Read 97141 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Re: Abbreviations/Definitions
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2008, 05:54:14 PM »
there are a few that are clearly inappropriate that the filter doesn't catch. 

Such as?

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2008, 05:56:53 PM »
I think the long version of "MF" (all one word) isn't caught.  I noticed it in the George Carlin thread the other day.  Nobody actually posted it, we all just tested his "six words you can't say on television" and previewed it.  Any other ones I've seen have been pointed out months ago.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2008, 06:09:13 PM »
I've figured a lot of them out, but not all of them.  Unfortunately, starting a thread might not be safe, because there are a few that are clearly inappropriate that the filter doesn't catch.  I'd suggest writing a post, then previewing it, without posting it.  It'll show you all the replacements :)

Thanks, that's a good tip. I find it a little odd that the abbreviated versions are replaced, but some of the long versions aren't.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
I've figured a lot of them out, but not all of them.  Unfortunately, starting a thread might not be safe, because there are a few that are clearly inappropriate that the filter doesn't catch.  I'd suggest writing a post, then previewing it, without posting it.  It'll show you all the replacements :)

Thanks, that's a good tip. I find it a little odd that the abbreviated versions are replaced, but some of the long versions aren't.

I expect it's hard for our unfailingly polite moderators to remember every profanity and obscenity out there :) 

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2008, 06:36:12 PM »

I expect it's hard for our unfailingly polite moderators to remember every profanity and obscenity out there :) 

It's more that the text speak abbreviations are filtered, but you can write it out longhand and it's fine.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2008, 08:30:44 PM »
there are a few that are clearly inappropriate that the filter doesn't catch. 

Such as?

it was really childish of me   :-[  but i wrote down every rude word i know  and then previewed it to see what the substitutes were

the shortened version of richard came out as the shortened version

2 others i noticed that didnt change were  bol*ocks  and twit with an a.  In the UK  twit with an a is offensive way to describe a female body part.  Not sure if its used in the US  tho.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2008, 11:32:08 PM »
In the UK  twit with an a is offensive way to describe a female body part.  Not sure if its used in the US  tho.

It is.  We're all gonna have to get together and come up with as many dirty words as we can to test the filter with :)

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2008, 12:02:52 AM »
 ;D

TaylorMade

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2008, 01:30:23 AM »
I've seen TTO a few times can't figure out what it means?

The definition at urbandictionary made no sense...

Anyone?

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2008, 01:42:48 AM »
In the UK  twit with an a is offensive way to describe a female body part.  Not sure if its used in the US  tho.

I used twit with an a to describe a really annoying person. Apparently, it's more acceptable to my mother for me to call someone a twit with an a, than it is to hear me call someone a "Richard Cranium"

really?  my mother would cut my head off if she ever heard me say it and im not too far from 40

its basically calling someone the c  word

:o

Corbin

« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2009, 06:31:54 PM »
Ok, havent found an answer on here yet, throw me a rope: What are the origins of the term "special snowflake"? I totally get what it means on here, and it has crept into my off-board vocabulary, and I love it. I just wanna know where it started! It remindes me of some creepy, annoying, "you are so wonderful" childrens book.
"If someone else posted this, I would be convinced they were making it up..."

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2009, 06:35:09 PM »
Corbin, I don't know the origins, but I expect it has to do with every single snowflake being unique.  I've definitely heard it in other places, outside of ehell.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2009, 06:35:43 PM »
Ok, havent found an answer on here yet, throw me a rope: What are the origins of the term "special snowflake"? I totally get what it means on here, and it has crept into my off-board vocabulary, and I love it. I just wanna know where it started! It remindes me of some creepy, annoying, "you are so wonderful" childrens book.

We've been using it for a long time (predating this incarnation of the forum).
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2009, 06:14:23 PM »

We use it to mean a person with a huge sense of entitlement who makes demands for attention or service that are so rude and/or outrageous that among people with senses of entitlement s/he stands out and belongs in a class of his/her own.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

MaggieB

« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2009, 06:37:15 PM »

I thought it originated from a line in Fight Club. 

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.  You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile. 
Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club, Chapter 17

Though it's certainly possible that the term was around before Palahniuk used it.