Author Topic: What is the worst tasting food you've ever been served at a dinner party?  (Read 26929 times)

Chocolate Cake

• Super Hero!
Years ago, my husband and I were invited to dinner by a newly married couple who were about 10 years younger than us.   She had cooked the dinner.   It was some kind of dish with cheese and tortillas.  Most of the tortilla had been overcooked and was hard and dark brown and she hadn't put enough filling inside (maybe 2 teaspoons worth in each).  She only made two per person and they were very small to begin with.  I think there was one very small side dish of refried beans.   We were so hungry when we left there that we had to stop by a McDonalds.  I'll give her an "A" for effort but an "F" for execution.

What is the worst dinner (food wise), you've ever had?

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
Re: What is the worst tasting food you've ever been served at a dinner party?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 05:08:49 PM »
To this day, I do not know exactly what it was, but I can describe it to the best of my abilities:
Three years ago, right after finding out I was pregnant with MiddleSon, Hubby and I were asked to a dinner party. We accepted, but made sure the hostess knew I had horrible morning sickness, and anything more than fruits and vegetables really wasn't sitting well with me. She said she understood, and would understand if I only tried a few bites of things I felt were 'safe'.
Before going, I bought a small veggie tray to bring with, and I am sooo glad I did, as were the other three couples. Hostess made, well,,colorful mush served over potatoes. She claims it was a lentil and meat dish, but we were never able to discern what type of meat was an odd grey when cooked, the lentils were purple, because she added beet juice to the water...not beets mind you, just juice, and freezer burned vegetables. No seasonings aside from the beet juice. It was like eating purple school paste.
On the plus side, she had made an excelent chocolate flourless cake for desert!

kiero

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 05:17:51 PM »
I like interesting food.  I also don't appreciate most Western food - it's way way too bland. 

Well DH and I were invited over for supper at the house of another young couple at our church.  They knew we liked 'interesting' (their word) food and she really did try.  She decided to be brave and make a chili.  It ended up being ground beef, red kidney beans and maybe 1 teaspoon of chilipowder added to a tomatoe sauce.  She had really tried to make something she though I would enjoy.  But it was so bland.  I did eat it and really enjoyed spending the evening with them.

When I was in Norway visiting family we were served some awefull things.  One meal were horrifically fatty pork chops.  Now when I eat fatty meat I have to concentrate with all my being to not gag or vomit.  But I choked one of these things down - being polite and all.  Then the woman ploped another on my plate urging me to "Eat eat - you are soooooo skinny".  Now I was about 20 pounds overweight - but I guess she felt I could use some more meat on my bones.  This meat was acoompanied by tasteless steamed veggies cooked to almost a mush.  And to drink was coffee made the rural Norwegian way - boil water in a kettle, throw in some grounds and boil...  Pour into a mug through a strainer and then add more water and grounds to the pot. 

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »
Not a meal, but I used to work for the administration at the local fairgrounds.  While I was there, I became friends with an elderly couple who ran the 4 H building.

Anyways, Mr. 4 H offered me some iced tea.  I politely declined, saying I didn't like iced tea.  He said his was different, it was good.

So I tried it.

It tasted like any other iced tea.  I'm sure it was good iced tea.

I just don't like iced tea.

scarlett

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 05:34:05 PM »
First post...

all I have to say are "cheese grits".   I am sure to get flamed for this but my friend was going on and on about how good they were. Yuck.

HogwartsAlum

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 05:46:51 PM »
First post...

all I have to say are "cheese grits".   I am sure to get flamed for this but my friend was going on and on about how good they were. Yuck.

I never had those, but I love grits so I would probably like them.

Worst food? Green bean casserole.  I had to eat it once to be polite. GAG!

Best food - zucchini cooked in the oven with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.  I had never had it and it was AWESOME!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 06:14:13 PM »
A friend's mother served an Apple Flan once. She used almond flavouring, I think, which made it taste like lumpy cough medicine - EEEYECCHHH!

It was all I could do not to gag.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 07:45:05 PM »
I would say grits in any form but I have not been served them at a dinner party.

My Grandmother's spaghetti sauce. It was watery and sweet. She has a sweet tooth and many of her dishes has a sweetness to them but her spaghetti sauce was like eating sugar on your pasta. :-X

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 07:56:07 PM »
I'd have to say the Steak with Pears was about the worst. Particularly when biting into the pear thinking it was a piece of potato.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

kiero

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 08:01:41 PM »
I just remembered the "Fetticini Alfredo" I had that was sweet...  Yes - it was sweet.  It was the only thing I have ever been served that I could not bring myself to eat. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 08:15:41 PM »
When I was a girl, my father's posh boss invited our family to lunch in his lovely mansion in the country side of England.

The first thing served was smoked salmon - which I loathed, but choked down anyway. I was very hungry, but the main course would come later, so I thought I was ok.

Until I saw the stuffed pheasant, with a side of overboiled Brussel sprouts and potatoes. I wouldn't dream of complaining (my parents brought me up better than that!), but it was tough going...

Finally, dessert was some kind of sponge cake, filled with apricot jam and drizzled with sherry. Since I don't like alcohol to this day, that was also choked down.

The hosts were lovely people and meant well - they just managed to choose something I hated for every single dish...

LuckyDucky

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 08:20:08 PM »
The worst dish has been a potato bake.  Now by rights a potato bake consists of layers of potato slices, cream, bacon and sometimes corn.   But this particular dish had egg in it.  Who would do that to an innocent potato bake?  Blech.  

Coming in at a close second is anything MIL cooks.   The four food groups are not fatty, greasy, burnt and junk food.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 08:25:59 PM »
Chicken, just roasted, with no seasoning whatsoever.  It smelled good while it was cooking, but had no flavor to speak of.  Also, this family didn't even own a pepper shaker.

A pasta sauce (I guess) called Heartburn.  It might have tasted good except it was served at room temperature.

Bland turkey, cooked sufficiently to satisfy health requirements, but the skin was still pale and there wasn't enough seasoning.  The gravy was just as bland and just as cold.  Fortunately, the person who prepared this disaster was educable.  Friends don't let friends eat pale turkey.  ;D

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 09:22:16 PM »
My friend's wedding dinner.  Baked potatoes you could have used to hammer nails with.  Overcooked, dry meat of some sort.  Flavorless vegetables.

There was a tiny piece of cake for dessert.  We needed the coffee to choke down the dry crumbs that lurked under the too sweet frosting.

I still don't know who they used to cater dinner (it was - unusually enough for our area - done in a church hall),  but I wish I'd found out so I could have made a note to avoid them at all costs!

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 10:00:14 PM »
Not a meal, but I used to work for the administration at the local fairgrounds.  While I was there, I became friends with an elderly couple who ran the 4 H building.

Anyways, Mr. 4 H offered me some iced tea.  I politely declined, saying I didn't like iced tea.  He said his was different, it was good.

So I tried it.

It tasted like any other iced tea.  I'm sure it was good iced tea.

I just don't like iced tea.

An aside, but iced-tea is so different between the USA and Canada.

For some reason DS #2 (aged 9 at the time) was on a real iced-tea kick while we were travelling through Alaska that summer.  Canadian iced-tea (okay, made with mix, I'm no purist) is generally pretty heavily flavoured with sugar and citrus seasonings.  So what you get for American iced-tea is pretty different.  I remember trying to add packet after packet of sugar to it (apparently there's a reason why this doesn't work, I've forgotten) to no avail.