Author Topic: What is the worst tasting food you've ever been served at a dinner party?  (Read 26036 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: What is the worst tasting food you've ever been served at a dinner party?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 10:32:21 PM »
An aside, but iced-tea is so different between the USA and Canada.

For some reason DS #2 (aged 9 at the time) was on a real iced-tea kick while we were travelling through Alaska that summer.  Canadian iced-tea (okay, made with mix, I'm no purist) is generally pretty heavily flavoured with sugar and citrus seasonings.  So what you get for American iced-tea is pretty different.  I remember trying to add packet after packet of sugar to it (apparently there's a reason why this doesn't work, I've forgotten) to no avail.

Oh,my! Yes, it is. I ordered some in a restaurant in the US while on a trip, and boy, was that a shock!

But I did add sugar to it (it didn't taste the same, but at least it was drinkable).
I wonder why it didn't work for you?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

cocacola35

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 10:39:18 PM »
When I was growing up, my family would keep exchange students from many different countries.  Once in awhile they would cook us a dish from their country for dinner.  One Hungarian girl made us spaghetti with a sugary, poppyseed sauce.  It was the nastiest thing I'd ever eaten.  I tried as hard as I could to eat most of it as I knew she was excited about making this for us.  

Another time one of DF's friends gave us some of his homemade oatmeal cookies.....without sugar and butter in them.  The guy was diabetic, so he left these ingredients out.  They tasted like cardboard, but we just smiled and slowly finished the cookies we'd already taken.  

Gigi

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 05:02:47 AM »
We were invited to a wedding and reception at an elegant restaurant in Chinatown.  It was a traditional Chinese wedding banquet with about 10 courses. 

Unfortunately I am severely allergic to seafood so I couldn't eat anything with shrimp, prawns etc. Even the rice had shrimp in it.  The chicken and duck were great.  The shark fin soup was ewwwww.  It wasn't the taste, but the slimy texture, kind of like drinking hot, fishy, partly congealed jello.  The dessert of red bean soup was not so good either. 

Everyone was groaning that they were overstuffed when we left, but I was starved. A few pieces of poultry and a couple of spoons of veggies were not enough over the course of a few hours.

Another time we went to dinner at the home of some of our best friends.  They are fabulous cooks and the salad and pasta starter courses were wonderful.  Then she brought out the entree, a crown roast of lamb that she had slaved over.  I am absolutely revolted by lamb.  It smells terrible to me, and tasted worse the one time I had tried it before. I managed to get down a few bites of it, and filled up on the veggies and rolls.  When asked how it was I assured her (truthfully) that it was the best lamb I had ever eaten. When asked if I'd like more I hastened to say (also truthfully) that I couldn't possibly hold another bite. ;)  I don't ever plan to eat it again.

shadowfox79

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 05:10:58 AM »
My sixth form leaver's ball. A five-course meal apparently made on a shoestring budget.

We opened with melon - fairly painless - then moved on to salmon carbonara, a pile of pasta stuck to the plate with sauce and having the texture of a wet mop.

Then came the chicken dish, apparently cooked all day, since it was dry as a bone. The veg was alternately cooked to mush and so hard you could have someone's eye out with it.

Dessert was three circles of cheesecake - not with real fruit, of course, but with strawberry jam and lemon curd - and the coffee and mints never made it to our table.

And they wondered why everyone got hopelessly drunk.

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 05:15:47 AM »
Unfortunately, I think I served some guests the worst food ever once.  The first Thanksgiving dinner I cooked was 2 years ago, for a group of ex-pats in Vienna.  I'd never made turkey before, and the guests were 1 1/2 hours late.  So... I just left the bird in the oven that much longer.  This combination led to the driest, hardest turkey meat you have ever eaten.  There was so much juice in the bottom of the pan, at least a quart.  But even pouring it over the particle board.. er... meat... didn't help.  No one said anything, they were much too polite.  But I was so embarrased.

also

Slighty OT, because we weren't guests, rather we were at a restaurant and the owner was incredibly rude.

My fiance ordered Klachlsuppe, which is a traditional Austrian soup made of (knuckle?) joints and the broth they are in.  Now, bones and joints do give you the best-tasting soup.  But in this soup, you're supposed to eat the cartilage and connective tissue from the joint.  I guess Fiance had been thinking of something else, because he basically just ate the broth and what shreds of actual meat he could find on the joint.  When the owner came to clear the table, she was shocked that he hadn't finished his meal.

Her: "What, don't you like Klachlsuppe?  Why did you order it if you weren't going to eat it?"

Him: "Er... I guess I remember it being a little different than this.  But the soup was good!"

Her: "Hmmph"  Walks away with the bowl.  Returns with his main course.  "Young people these days won't eat anything that has just a little bit of fat on it.  All they want is lean meat.  Our traditions are disappearing.  The world is coming to an end.  Etc, etc"

Us: incredulous
Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 10:07:05 AM »
Chicken, just roasted, with no seasoning whatsoever. 

But... but... why would you season a chicken? They are yummy on their own! at least, the ones I buy here are.

This reminds me of the sketch "Going for an English" where people are asking for really bland food :-)

The worst dinner I ever had was with my now MIL. Microwaved cod topped with four frozen prawns (tiny ones), two boiled potatoes, steamed cabbage and carrots. I got two potatoes because I am female. DH got three. I hate white fish and I hate steamed fish and I hate watery vegetables..

EveLGenius

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 11:28:17 AM »
My poor cousin, whom I love dearly, seems to specialize in food that the rest of the family can't/won't eat. One problem is that she's a vegetarian (so are other members of the family), and she spent several years trying to convince the entire family to become vegetarian (didn't work- the rest of us are happy omnivores). Now, there are lots of wonderful vegetarian meals out there, but cousin M seems to be constitutionally incapable of preparing those, because they're "boring." The second-most infamous year was the Thanksgiving when she asked me to recommend a meal that she could make vegetarian, that everyone would eat. I said, "Lasagne, M; we all love lasagne." Well, we do, but not necessarily black olive and artichoke-heart lasagne.

Then there was my sister's boyfriend's cheesecake. It claimed to be chocolate. It had no flavor whatsoever.

MeloRed

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 11:45:12 AM »
I'm not sure there is any one dish that was actually the worst but we have some friends who simply cannot cook!  They always want to barbeque which involves taking meet directly from the freezer to the grill and burning it beyond recognition.  The wife is from Eastern Europe and comes up with some dishes that are hard for my american palate to swallow.  We have taken to always insisting on sharing a pizza when we visit!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 12:14:56 PM »
I'm not sure what the dish is called, but it's basically green beans and onions in this vinegar sauce.  I think it's one of those midwest staples.

It was the only dish no one took seconds of.

platys

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 12:33:01 PM »
My poor ex-fiance's mother just could not cook.  For example, one of the family's favorite meals were "bean bombs" - you take that canned croissant dough, roll it out, add refried beans and hot dogs, seal it all up in the dough, and bake.   

Luckily, I never had to eat that.   What really stood out in my mind is how they'd overcook meat.   They'd leave meat in the crockpot all day in liquid, and it'd come out so dry that it was powdery.   (Many people don't know that if you leave most meat cuts in a liquid for a long period of time, they get dry, not tender).   The mashed potatoes were so overbeaten and liquidy that they might have been potato soup.   Gravy was made by taking ALL the drippings, and then randomly adding water and packets of pre-made gravy and wondra flour until something happened.   

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 12:51:39 PM »
My late mother once dated a man who would not eat gravy made from anything, so I suspect that his mother was culinarily challenged.  The upshot was that he wouldn't even taste hers and, other toxicity notwithstanding, my mother was a good cook.

Platys:  Croissant dough and slightly boiled hotdogs make awesome pigs-in-the-blanket.  You have to boil the franks a little to prevent their drying out.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 12:57:47 PM »
I attended a potluck last summer. One of the other attendees is really into the raw food diet. So she proceeded to bring as her dish a salad made with all kinds of interesting-looking, unappetizing-to-most-people ingredients. Honestly, it looked like she went out into her backyard with a bowl and picked up every plant, leave, twig, dirt, and bug she could find and called it a salad. Nobody touched it because it looked so revolting, but I wanted to be the nice guy so I took some. It was as awful tasting as it looked. Of course she was going on and on about how yummy it was and how great this diet was and shouldn't we all switch our diets to it. I wish that people would be more considerate of others when they cook for them and stick to foods with a wider appeal and not too eccentric.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 04:18:02 PM »
Steak with Pears??  For some reason that blows my mind.  Who would think these two things go together on a plate?   >:D

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 04:44:37 PM »
For some reason DS #2 (aged 9 at the time) was on a real iced-tea kick while we were travelling through Alaska that summer.  Canadian iced-tea (okay, made with mix, I'm no purist) is generally pretty heavily flavoured with sugar and citrus seasonings.  So what you get for American iced-tea is pretty different.  I remember trying to add packet after packet of sugar to it (apparently there's a reason why this doesn't work, I've forgotten) to no avail.

Iced tea in the Eastern US can be completely different.   Down here in the South, the iced tea is simply known as "sweet tea" and it is very sweet.   My husband and I will rate a restaurant's sweet tea and usually find most restaurants operated by non-natives to have very bland sweet tea.   What they call "sweet tea" is what is referred to as "half n' half".....true southern sweet tea that has been diluted by half with unsweetened tea.  Yankees order "half n' half".   

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 09:57:27 AM »
Steak with Pears??  For some reason that blows my mind.  Who would think these two things go together on a plate?   >:D
Well, someone whose Oxford education led him to translate "Poivre" in "Steak au Poivre" as Pear instead of Pepper.

He insisted that it did, indeed, taste good, but the rest of us were unconvinced.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."