Author Topic: What is the worst tasting food you've ever been served at a dinner party?  (Read 26486 times)

zoidberg

Oh my goodness! Goodness gracious me!.  Is there a test for exposure to MCD?

I wouldn't get too worried. Even if you were exposed to MCD, only very very very few people get Kreuzfeldt-Jakob Disease, which is the human equivalent of MCD. A recent survey concludes that far more people died as a consequence of having their livelihood destroyed (= farmers committed suicide because their livestock was put down) than because of Kreuzfeldt-Jakob.

The MCD scare in Europe was very sensationalised in newspapers and television, so I suppose the Red Cross decided to err on the safe side. Anybody who has spent more than one year in either GB or France is no longer allowed to donate. (Well, at least that is the case here in Germany.)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
OK; I guess after all this time I shouldn't worry about it. 

Gwywnnydd

The MCD scare in Europe was very sensationalised in newspapers and television, so I suppose the Red Cross decided to err on the safe side. Anybody who has spent more than one year in either GB or France is no longer allowed to donate. (Well, at least that is the case here in Germany.)

The local blood center to me wont allow me to donate anymore, because I've spent more than 90 DAYS in the UK between 1980 and 1995. Who knew visiting the relatives would end up being a bad thing?

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
The whole MCD thing, I think, has been blown a little out of proportion.  I'm not allowed to donate blood in the US, either, because I've lived in Europe (any part, not just England).  But here in Europe, it's not like they import blood.  People here donate, people here use it, and no one gets sick...
Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
The whole MCD thing, I think, has been blown a little out of proportion.  I'm not allowed to donate blood in the US, either, because I've lived in Europe (any part, not just England).  But here in Europe, it's not like they import blood.  People here donate, people here use it, and no one gets sick...

In the US, I don't think it the MCD that is blown out of proportion, I think it is the blood bank.  I have been banned from donating blood.  I was donating while at a convention on a Saturday.  I was being conscientious, so when they asked "Have you ever taken XYZ drug?"  It sounded like a prescription type drug so I asked what is it?  They said "It is used to treat Psorasis."  I said, "An idiot doctor once misdiagnosed a makeup allergy as that, and I don't remember what he tried to treat it with."  They said, "Well, you can't give blood."  (This is fine and reasonable.)  "And, if you can't prove to us within 24 hours that you haven't taken it you will be banned for life."  (Not fine, not reasonable)  They expected me to prove a negative with 15 year old medical files on a Saturday.  Then I heard a rumor that the US imports blood from Mexico.