Author Topic: What is the worst tasting food you've ever been served at a dinner party?  (Read 26686 times)

kathrynne

Re: What is the worst tasting food you've ever been served at a dinner party?
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2007, 01:33:48 AM »
I get so angry when people make bad, unappetizing food for SCA events and excuse it as being "period" because "they didn't know how to do" something or "they didn't have" something.  Or try to pass on one of those medieval Urban Legends like "they served rotten meat and overspiced it to kill the taste."  Horse hockey!  Medieval food is wonderful if it's researched and prepared according to the orignal recipes and not to some knockoff "fabulous feasts"-type cookbook. 

I've had some awful stuff at feasts, mind you, but it's all been of the "fake period" nature.  Like the person who served (modern) blood sausage and potatoes, and barely cooked the sausage--it was still cold and fluid in the center.  Or the person who cooked four huge aluminum pots full of (a modern German recipe for) red cabbage and vinegar, and refused to believe that the vinegar and the aluminum reacting were what caused that smell like something died, so she served it anyway...  or the girl who was supposed to bring the vegetarian split pea soup to the feast but "lost" the repeated emails with the recipe so she used the recipe on the back of the bag of split peas, and loaded it down with extra ham and bacon (to which I'm allergic)... 

Probably the worst thing I've ever had served to me at a dinner party, however, was Old #1's mother's attempt at lasagne.  I believe the only ingredients were:  lasagne noodles, ground beef, canned tomato sauce, and cheese.  Which would have been fine, except the only cheese she had on hand was leftover from their annual Hickory Farms gift pack...  the smoky sharp cheddar.   :o  If you're into barbecued beef I suppose it wasn't so bad, but I was expecting lasagne... 

- saphie
Trust me when I say I didn't believe for one moment that what SIL was authentic to the period. We still joke that if that's how our ancestors used to eat they'd have had no descendants!

This SIL is one of those people who insists she has "perfect pitch," is a gourmet cook, and is smarter than everyone else on the planet. What we learned is that she's tone deaf, couldn't cook for a starving dog, can't do basic math (though she works as a bookkeeper!) and, above all, is a compulsive liar and a bigot.

But ... smoky sharp cheddar cheese in lasagne? >>shudder<<

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2007, 01:53:40 AM »
Trust me when I say I didn't believe for one moment that what SIL was authentic to the period. We still joke that if that's how our ancestors used to eat they'd have had no descendants!

LOL!  Good one!  I'll have to remember that for the next feast.  :)

This SIL is one of those people who insists she has "perfect pitch," is a gourmet cook, and is smarter than everyone else on the planet. What we learned is that she's tone deaf, couldn't cook for a starving dog, can't do basic math (though she works as a bookkeeper!) and, above all, is a compulsive liar and a bigot.

Oh wow, I had no idea your SIL was my Aunt!   :D  Welcome to the family, such as it is... 

And yeah.  The lasagne was every bit as bad as it sounds.  But I ate it, and thanked her graciously.  She was a dear woman and I adored her; she just couldn't cook worth a hoot.

- saphie

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2007, 08:12:06 AM »
This Yankee orders it unsweetened.  Sweet tea... shudder!

How sweet is it served in the South?  Any more than one packet of Splenda in tea is too sweet for me.

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2007, 09:00:50 AM »

How sweet is it served in the South?  Any more than one packet of Splenda in tea is too sweet for me.

I am from New Orleans area, and how I always had my Iced tea, was strong and SWEET.  A lot of people boil the water with the sugar in it so that they can over saturate the mixture with sugar...it is like candy sweet, and if you can see thorugh the glass, it is too weak, it should be darn near black.  That is how I like it, I have to make my own sweet tea here, because most of the stuff I find in Florida is slightly beige water.

So, of you ever go to new orleans, order a glass of unsweet tea and sweeten yourself, because you may go into sugar shock.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2007, 11:25:31 AM »
I don't drink it this way (Texas isn't one of the "must have Sweet Tea" states), but the proper way to make it is to prepare a simple syrup and use it to flavor the tea.

I do sweeten mine, but I use SweetNLow.  I do, probably, put more in my tea than you Yankees do, but I don't put as much as would classify it as "Sweet Tea."

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2007, 12:50:06 PM »
I don't drink tea, myself, but when I made tea for the fast-food restaurant I used to work for, it was 1 cup of sugar for about 2 quarts of tea.

Yikes, that *is* sweet!  I make my "sweet" tea with 1 cup of sugar for a gallon of medium brew tea.  I think it tastes perfect.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2007, 01:28:26 PM »
Wow; that almost sounds like a mixture for rock candy crystal formation.

hollasa

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2007, 02:31:13 PM »
For some reason, this has reminded me of a dinner I cooked once, when baby sitting.

I arrived at the house, and the mom told me that I'd be fixing dinner for her daughter. OK - I don't know how to cook, but I'm sure I can figure *something* out. And then she gives me the three ingredients:

* A steak (raw), and she points to a griddle on the stove
* uncooked macaroni (points to a pot with water)
* a jar of cheese whiz

I seem to have blanked out the memory of the results, however...

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2007, 03:43:11 PM »

My southern GMIL's recipe for sweet tea is 2/3 cup sugar per gallon of tea. I actually use 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup Splenda. And you have to add the sugar while the water is still warm, or it won't melt. Real sweet tea, made right, is one of the best things on earth.  :)
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2007, 03:58:50 PM »

I have heard it jokingly referred to as "rock candy tea" - any more sugar and it would be a supersaturated solution that would start to crystallize.

More specifically - my mother used to use about a cup of sugar to two quarts of strong tea - then poured that over ice - which would melt and dilute things enough to stretch the tea bit........sometimes various family members would add EXTRA sugar to their glass.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

LyanneB1

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2007, 04:04:31 PM »
I once went to a dinner hosted by a woman my family knew from church. She served spaghetti and the sauce was made out of ketchup! Seriously it was ketchup with a little bit of burnt ground beef in it. It was the worst thing I've ever eaten.  :-X

When I was in Israel, my upstairs neighbor had a daughter my age, and when I was over there playing, I stayed for dinner... which was spaghetti with ketchup!  No meat, even.  I ate it, being a hungry 9 year old, but it still strikes me as strange.  (We had milk to drink, and it being an Orthodox Jewish home, no meat was served at all.)

:-[ My sons' favourite way with spaghetti is buttered & ketchuped, though I do put hoummus in it to give some protein & have veggies or a salad on the side.

The worst meal I ever had was when my new (now ex) boyfriend took me to have dinner with his friends.  As this meal had been arranged for them to meet me, I only checked once that he'd told them I was a vegan.  I'm sure the meat was cooked well & the meat based stuffing was probably very nice.  I'm sure the suet pudding for dessert was yummy.  The potatoes roast in meat fat certainly looked the right colour.  But I really don't like canned peas which were the vegatable & all I had to eat.  I was so embarrassed & annoyed with BF.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2007, 04:25:48 PM »
For some reason, this has reminded me of a dinner I cooked once, when baby sitting.

I arrived at the house, and the mom told me that I'd be fixing dinner for her daughter. OK - I don't know how to cook, but I'm sure I can figure *something* out. And then she gives me the three ingredients:

* A steak (raw), and she points to a griddle on the stove
* uncooked macaroni (points to a pot with water)
* a jar of cheese whiz

I seem to have blanked out the memory of the results, however...

I seem to recall a recipe for very simple mac and cheese that was just cheez whiz poured on macaroni. It sounded horridly awful.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2007, 05:08:59 AM »

I quite like the unsweetened tea, although it was a bit of a shock the first time I encountered it, having been raised with the Canadian version (the homemade version is black tea with lemon juice and sugar).  Cold oolong and jasmine are delicous.

I even like 'milk tea' which is cold tea made with powdered milk and sugar, sometimes plain (i.e. green, red or oolong) but often with flavouring added - mango, lychee, pineapple, chocolate, coffee.  It's sold in the 7-11 in 500 ml milk cartons.

Regarding vegetables - much of Chinese cooking, raw vegetables are regarded as unhealthy (and often are, depending on the fertilizing and farming technique), so you only get vegetables that have been cooked in some way, including about 20 different varieties of green leafy sauted and steamed veggies, ranging from cabbage like to spinach like to lettuce like.  I've been served steamed lettuce and stirfried cucumber, among other things.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2007, 08:55:30 AM »
Ahhh SCA cooking -- you can have the best and worst tasting food at the same meal.

There are many feasts that I look at the menu and think bread and honey butter are the only two things that sound eatable.  (honey buttttter.....yuuummmmmm)

They served haggis once.  Now after reading the recipes I found for the stuff, it reads a lot like the German "meat grits" that are around here. (the gross leftover bits of pork or beef from the butchering, boiled with pinoats and is a gray meat when it is done.  yuck and double yuck.  Never could stand looking at them when dad ate them)

Last feast I went to they served some sort of meatball type thing, that I swear tasted like it had been boiled in the leftover dishwater. Kind of soapy.  And cloves do not belong in chicken. (my tastebuds recoiled in fear on that one)

Can you tell I don't do feasts much anymore?

I would rather have the (very) unperiod balona sandwich and an apple.

Or make up sausage (snausage) rolls. 
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2007, 09:34:25 AM »
Re SCA food:  Except for my quiches and salads I never served anything that wasn't previously tested at barony meetings.  My meat pies, boeuf bourgignon, choucroute garni, and soups were all approved by the meeting attendees first. 

We had one major failure that I didn't want to repeat when someone didn't know how to cook venison.  Which was so horrendously expensive that as my group's exchequer I forbade anyone to serve it again unless he killed it himself.  (No, nobody went there and I'm glad).

On one occasion I made stuffed vine leaves which were served to a fairly unsophisticated crowd.  It was so labor-intensive (7 hours' work for 250 of them) that I decided I would thenceforth make them only for the BYOF occasions.  The leftovers from the first occasion went to the Brooklyn members who appreciated them.