Author Topic: What is the worst tasting food you've ever been served at a dinner party?  (Read 26481 times)

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
Re: What is the worst tasting food you've ever been served at a dinner party?
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2007, 10:07:52 AM »
We do Test meals too, but I think that reality sets in when you go from a 10 person dish to cooking for 125 people. (our averge feast sitting) some people get meat too well done (is there such a thing?) and some get blood rare.

I have also been in the kitchen when I found out just HOW a simple feast (pot roast, mushroom pie, salad, and cheese and fruit tray) can go WAY, WAY past the point of overbudget. (don't buy $3.00 loves of bread, when there is a bakery in the area that you can get them for free) The feast steward in question has never been allowed to cook again.

We have had venision steaks at feast before, not bad, but not really to MY taste.  And the deer in question had been killed in a "very" period way. (got hit by the feast stewards car. ;) )
Hey-- "free" meat--- just need to get a new car, that's all. 

I think that they were calling that course the "feast-o-crat's revenge"  There was a long story about him dressing it out even before the cops got there. 

Our local group usually tries for a "simple" meal - nothing too strange for the modern palet, and we usually sell out feast fairly quickly. (that and I think that putting serving spoons in the dishes helped too.)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2007, 10:33:25 AM »
My group's rules basically dictated that we didn't serve things that were obviously out of period (no potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers, pumpkin, or cranberries) and all meat was regarded as a "fresh kill".  We discovered early on that mixing meat with raisins or fruit, while correct, didn't work for most of the attendees.

Nobody in my group would have dreamed of not having several sous-chefs to help in order to avoid the problem of unevenly-cooked meats.  We also intentionally recruited people with foodservice jobs (or relatives with them) in order to get most things cost-effectively.  $3 for a loaf of bread?  No way!  Sir Vincenzo's cousin (the baker) gave us the bread at cost.  Salad ingredients and fresh fruit were the only things ever purchased at retail.

I have to say I miss those feast days sometimes, although I suspect I would tire a bit more easily now from the work.  When I would feel at the end of the evening that my back would break in two, it felt good to know that every bite of anything I prepared was consumed.

Suze

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2007, 12:01:55 PM »
we usually have a ton of leftovers -- because we all like to eat, somehow the food prepared for a 125 person feast would probably feed 200 easy.

good old midwestern "feed them into submission" thery there. LOL

I have yet to see anyone get up from one of our feasts complaining that there was not enough food to go around. and that they were hungery.  Usually they are hanging around the kitchen to get leftover scraps to take home. 

Except salad. I don't know why we bother with it, it hardly gets eaten. (We are heavy with fighter types. MEAT- MEAT and more MEAT and they would be happy <giggle>) Salad is what FOOD eats.

"Dancing will begin when the groaning from feast stops"  is usually how we word the "program" of the days events.

And to one of the other posters - the steak with the pears - doesn't sound all that bad. 
SCA training in meat with fruit, maybe a good thing?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2007, 12:41:37 PM »
One of the early meals I experienced in the SCA was cornish hens prepared with grapes.  Tasty.
Ground meat with raisins?  No thanks.

If we ever had leftover food, it was usually donated to the church we rented the space from.

While most SCA folks in the East are too polite to say so publicly, we tend to look down on people who show up with McDonalds' quasi-food, unless it's meant to be consumed by a child under 8 years old.

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2007, 05:43:07 PM »
Goodness, I am sorry for the thread semi-hijack! 

I do wish, though, that there was some sort of basic qualification for being allowed to cook an SCA feast.  (Yes I know that would create a bureaucratic/insurance nightmare, but I can dream...)  I've been to "tables groaning with terrific food, under budget" feasts and I've been to "she spent the whole exchequery and we still had to go for pizza afterwards" feasts.  Thank all the Deities I've never been to "and then everyone was sick for days" feasts, but I know they happen.

Maybe we need an "SCA feast horror story" thread, because I've got stories...  oh, have I got stories!  ;)

- saphie

kathrynne

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2007, 06:03:03 PM »
Goodness, I am sorry for the thread semi-hijack! 

I do wish, though, that there was some sort of basic qualification for being allowed to cook an SCA feast.  (Yes I know that would create a bureaucratic/insurance nightmare, but I can dream...)  I've been to "tables groaning with terrific food, under budget" feasts and I've been to "she spent the whole exchequery and we still had to go for pizza afterwards" feasts.  Thank all the Deities I've never been to "and then everyone was sick for days" feasts, but I know they happen.

Maybe we need an "SCA feast horror story" thread, because I've got stories...  oh, have I got stories!  ;)

- saphie
And here, I thought *I* was sort of responsible and feeling guilty for having brought up the connection in the first place! Blame me. LOL

I'd love to see some sort of requirement for any situation where people cook for someone else, like tone deaf palates need not apply? If you can't tell the difference between salt and sugar in your coffee, step away from the kitchen.

But the SCA stories have been funny, so who's complaining?

Suze

• Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2007, 06:20:52 PM »
SCA and FOOD kind of go together

go look for a new topic in entertaining - I am starting one on SCA and Feasts

Suze

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2007, 09:38:09 PM »
"I once went to a dinner hosted by a woman my family knew from church. She served spaghetti and the sauce was made out of ketchup! Seriously it was ketchup with a little bit of burnt ground beef in it. It was the worst thing I've ever eaten."

Yeah, that sounds like my mother's spaghetti too!  It wasn't until a church spaghetti potluck that I learned there are other recipes.  And some of them come bottled too!   :D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2007, 11:20:45 PM »
DeHubby's brother's wife is NOT domestically talented.

She asked for help some fifteen years ago in taking a panel of preprinted fabric that needed to be cut out and sewn into a tube for a "wax crayon" costume.  You cut out a rectangle - sewed one seam and then turned under a hem and cut two armholes to bind with bias tape.  There was a "hat" that looked like a cone after you ironed on stiffening and sewed ONE seam, bound the hem with more bias tape, and used the leftover tape (or elastic) to make a strap to hold it on the child's head.

She made dinner for their family and our family while I sewed. 

She boiled spagetti for fifteen minutes to make sure that it was done (not quite twice as long as needed).  The sauce came from a jar - but she only poured half the jar into the pan and then added plain tomato sauce because it was "too spicy".  I mean - it had oregano, garlic, and a touch of basil..............and she added some "meat balls" that were ground beef mixed with cracker crumbs and fried in a skillet - then tossed into the sauce.

It wasn't THE worst meal that I had ever tried to eat (freezer burned liver that even the dog and cat looked at cross eyed after the first bite) but it wasn't very far from it...............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2007, 11:51:29 PM »

I had a roommate who was a fairly decent very basic cook - he could fry meat, steam vegetables, boil potatoes and pasta and make a few basic dishes.

He was going to a party, and wanted to bake a cake, so he asked me for a recipe.  I dug out a very simple one bowl oil based cake recipe - just mix everything in a bowl, pour into a greased pan and bake.  I then went out.

When I came back I discovered that he had decided to improvise.  He didn't have any milk so he used sour cream instead, and mixed in some mashed bananas for flavour, and there was something else he did as well.  What he ended up with wasn't technically cake - it was more like a cross between cake and custard, but very sour, because of the sour cream. It was disgusting, and fortunately he didn't take it.

I explained that while it is possible to improvise while baking, but unlike regular cooking you have to know what changes to make that won't affect the chemistry of the food, or it won't work.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2007, 12:23:16 AM »
...She boiled spaghetti for fifteen minutes to make sure that it was done (not quite twice as long as needed).  ...

At one time, back when the proper term was noodles not pasta, the rule was to cook the noodles until you could throw one on the wall and it stuck.  Which is about twice the right amount. 

I do remember being served a lasagna which had absolutely no tomato or dairy product. 

RoseRose

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2007, 12:34:58 AM »
I do remember being served a lasagna which had absolutely no tomato or dairy product. 

That sentence makes me want to try to make one that actually tastes good, with that requirement.  Next time I'm at my fiance's (he and his brother eat everything, so if I don't like it, I can just leave it for them), I'll give it a shot, if I remember (it's going to be 3 weeks before I go over again.)

LuckyDucky

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2007, 04:35:53 AM »
Ooohhh, it's nice to see that MIL is not the only person who makes spaghetti into blah-ghetti, and boils tinned peas until they are a horrible grey colour.  It's not natural.

I have a touchy belly and get very sick if I eat a lot of fatty, sugary food.  Well, guess what she serves?  Fatty for mains & sugary for dessert. Despite the fact we have explained my belly to her PLENTY of times, she still thinks I don't eat her cooking to spite her. *sigh*

Funny thing is, she will clean out her kitchen, giving us a lot of stuff "that no-one here eats", then when we have little BIL for dinner he will eat three helpings of everything. Wonder why?

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2007, 08:50:32 AM »
At one time, back when the proper term was noodles not pasta, the rule was to cook the noodles until you could throw one on the wall and it stuck.  Which is about twice the right amount. 

My stomach just turned over at that one.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2007, 09:17:16 AM »

My stomach just turned over at that one.
Once, my then-BF cooked some spaghetti for 45 (forty-five) minutes ... he wondered why I wouldn't eat it.