News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 22, 2018, 08:44:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "But your feet will get bigger soon...."  (Read 19909 times)

bionelly

Re: "But your feet will get bigger soon...."
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 03:41:32 AM »
Mine stopped at 7 1/2 when I was about 10, stayed that way for 12 years, then grew to 9 over a period of about a year.  Even though they did eventually grow more, I wouldn't have wanted to get size 9 shoes when I was 19, because they would have worn out before my feet had their growth spurt!

faithlessone

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 09:48:21 AM »
My feet stopped growing when I was 13. In fact, when I was 13, they were a (UK) size 5, now (aged 19) I'm back down to a 4. I'd blow his mind too.

Sunbeem

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 11:13:11 PM »
Maybe he thought you were pregnant.  I went from a 5 to an 8 which totally sucked.  None of my pre-pregnancy shoes fit now, not even flips flops or slippers.    Some of my socks were even too small and had to be chucked.

Oh goodness, I hope he would not make THAT interesting assumption as well, especially since I was only 110 lbs at that time!

Iris

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 05:09:38 AM »
He's a fool who doesn't know his job. Typically female feet stop growing really early on - like 12, 13. Sure you might be an exception but there's certainly nowhere near enough chance of that happening to make it worthwhile buying shoes that don't fit.

The only way this would be excusable is if you look 12 years old.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

crella

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 05:21:33 AM »
My feet stopped at around 13 too, and I still wear the ice skates my parents got for me then (and I'm heading towards 53! Those Sear's ice skates were well made!)

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 05:41:57 AM »
Oh sure, your feet will keep growing... but the shoes will fall apart before you could possibly need a size up.

Yvaine

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 06:16:56 AM »
I WISH I had thought to use the line then...
I was shopping for running shoes, and was trying on sizes 6.5 and 7 with the (unsolicited) help of a young employee.  The 6.5s were a bit tight and the 7's were slightly loose, but I went with the 7's.  Then the employee tried to talk me into getting a 7.5 or 8, insisting, "You're feet are still growing, so you will probably grow out of the 7s really fast."  I said I was pretty sure they weren't going to grow any more.  He insisted that I may think I'm done growing, but I'll probably still grow some more.  I was 19.

Grr, I had that happen to me too when I was about 13. And sure, it was a reasonable guess at age 13, but the real reason was extremely transparent to me even then. I'm a 7.5. The shoes I wanted were on clearance, and they only had one pair left, and they were 7.5s. There was another style that was still full price and came in an 8. So I got a lecture about how my feet were going to grow and I needed the 8--but really the guy just wanted to sell the more expensive shoe. And he was so condescending about it, which is why it made me so mad.

I always joke that I magically stopped my feet from growing just to spite this guy. I did buy the clearance 7.5s. I wore them for five years, at which point they disintegrated. If they hadn't, I could still be wearing them now at 33--I still wear a 7.5 (and occasionally an 8 in narrow-toed styles, but that doesn't apply to bulky sneakers). My feet never got any bigger. Even though I grew another 4 inches or so in height.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:19:33 AM by Yvaine »

BeagleMommy

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 06:32:06 AM »
About two years ago I took DS for new sneakers.  DS and DH both wear wide-width shoes.  They have to because of how their feet naturally are.  A clerk insisted that DS couldn't possibly need wide-width because he's a teenager and still growing.  Only adults needed wide-width shoes because of "middle-aged spread".   :o

From the age of 17 until now DS has worn 10 1/2 wide-width.  The boy is 19, 6'2" tall and built like a lumberjack.  There's nothing dainty about him.

My reaction to the clerk?  "Will you pay for the podiatric care he will need from wearing the wrong sized shoes?  No?  Then let me buy the shoes that fit him."  (Of course I also had to explain what podiatric meant!)

mharbourgirl

• I am what I am, not what everyone wishes me to be
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 07:39:01 AM »
I envy anyone whose feet stopped growing at some point.  I was a size 8W when I was 20.  Now I'm 41, and my feet are almost a 9.5W.  I've long since left the realm of attractive shoes, all I ever hope for anymore is something that fits and doesn't try to kill me when I walk in 'em.

Which reminds me, I've only got two pairs of shoes as it is.  I should probably go shoe shopping one of these days.  There are few things I hate more than shopping for shoes.  :P

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 09:54:03 AM »
At ten I wore an 8.5AAA.  The salespeople at the specialty store suggested that my parents put me in wider shoes since I was still growing.  My mother still wears an 8.5AA (and now, so do I).  Although finding AA widths is a pain in the asterisk.

We come by narrow feet naturally in the female line - Maternal Grandmother wore a 5.5AAA until she died at 97.  Lil Sis wore a 7.5AAA until recently - it's hard to find a 7.75AAA...............the middle aged spread finally hit..............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

FlyingBaconMouse

• In my belfry...
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 10:00:37 AM »
I'm another one whose feet not only stopped growing at twelve, but shrank a bit after that: I spent some time as a clear size 7, then shrank to a 6.5 (sometimes even a 6) by the end of high school.

I thought I was the only one, so I'm enjoying this thread.  :D I am slightly less weird than I thought!
I don't kill threads, but I do seem to stun 'em pretty good. :-)

JoW

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »
I envy anyone whose feet stopped growing at some point.  I was a size 8W when I was 20.  Now I'm 41, and my feet are almost a 9.5W.  I've long since left the realm of attractive shoes, all I ever hope for anymore is something that fits and doesn't try to kill me when I walk in 'em.....
Your feet can continue to grow if you are on your feet alot, physically active, refuse to wear tight shoes, or fat.  I'm all 4.  I was a US size 8 in junior high, 9 by high school graduation.  Now, 35 years after graudation I'm a size 11. 

SAS makes great, but expensive, shoes.  No heels, but I don't do heels.  Steel-toe shoes are also availble in a huge range of sizes, but none of them are attractive.  If none of those suit you, ask a nurse where she buys shoes for her off-work hours.  I tried on some cute comfortable shoes at a store recommended by a nurse.  They had 1 inch heels.  I almost fell off them in the shoe store.   

Yvaine

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 10:54:33 PM »
I envy anyone whose feet stopped growing at some point.  I was a size 8W when I was 20.  Now I'm 41, and my feet are almost a 9.5W.  I've long since left the realm of attractive shoes, all I ever hope for anymore is something that fits and doesn't try to kill me when I walk in 'em.....
Your feet can continue to grow if you are on your feet alot, physically active, refuse to wear tight shoes, or fat.  I'm all 4.  I was a US size 8 in junior high, 9 by high school graduation.  Now, 35 years after graudation I'm a size 11. 

I'm all of the above, but for whatever weird reason they've only gotten wider, not longer. So they're a 7.5 wide, technically, but I can't always find a wide in the styles I want, so I'll end up with a larger size shoe and lots of extra toe room.

My hands are too small for the rest of me, too. I know people with hands smaller than mine--and they're all about 6 inches shorter than me. I'm this big "sturdy" girl with disproportionate wrists/hands/ankles/feet.  :D

Ruelz

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »
My feet went up a size with pregnancy and weight gain...

Now they're down a size since I lost weight.  Just got rid of some newer shoes that I like because they were too big...

...I like shoes...but not enough to buy the same style twice...
"The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions." Ellen Glasgow

nonesuch4

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2011, 11:27:16 AM »
I know nothing about running, and little about shoes.  But one thing struck me as obvious:

Wouldn't the danger of injuring your feet while running increase if you were wearing shoes that didn't fit?  It seems as though you would wear out running  shoes before you changed size.  Even if you did change size, you should wear the very best fitting shoe you could find.