Author Topic: "can't you just take some aspirin?"  (Read 18906 times)

dawbs

Re: "can't you just take some aspirin?"
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
*snip*

What are everyone else's triggers? Maybe by comparing notes somebody might hit on something they haven't considered before.

Hormones.
which is decidedly unpleasant because, uhm, I don't really get to control 'em.

Never had a headache that lasted more than 24 hours until AFTER I went off Depo.  They basically started almost to the day when my first cycle should have been, and raged until 2 weeks after we got me onto barbiturates and beta-blockers.

And if something happens so I end up *ahem* (TMI) sexually frustrated, I get a migraine.  And they're worse than 'normal'.

ANd that becomes a vicious cycle, nothing like a blinding headache to put me in the mood  ::)

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2008, 06:06:17 PM »
I've been single for four years - maybe that's my problem  ;D

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2008, 06:23:25 PM »
Depending on the type of migraine from which you suffer, triptans can be contraindicated. People with basilar-type migraine, for example, shouldn't be taking them, or so I believe.  They're also contraindicated if you have raised blood pressure, because they constrict the blood vessels to stop the migraine.

I took one once in an emergency - my migraine had raged for five days, my vision was green and yellow, and I was just completely desperate. It had gone within 20 minutes of taking it, but the side-effects were vile.

macysnail, I agree with you about the trigger issue. I'm working really hard to try and eliminate mine, with varying degrees of success. So far, I've identified: MSG, nitrates (found in most cured meats, hotdogs, bacon, that sort of stuff, and vegetables which are naturally high in them such as spinach); poor sleep; menstruation, ovulation, atmospheric pressure, certain scents, relaxing after a period of stress - I'm sure there are more.

The trigger issue is really complicated, though. As I understand it, one single trigger on its own may not necessarily cause a migraine but combine it with something else that's happened that day and it will do. So one day I could eat a bacon sandwich and get away with it. If on another day I eat that bacon sandwich and then have a poor night's sleep, or the weather changes, I'm screwed. It's very frustrating trying to keep tabs on everything.

What are everyone else's triggers? Maybe by comparing notes somebody might hit on something they haven't considered before.

Mine are mostly from not sleeping.  Guess who has CHRONIC insomnia and sleep apnea.   ::)   

I have tried everything for sleep.  E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.  I don't like taking pills, and for someone who stops breathing while sleeping, taking a pill that supresses that 'wake up!' urge because you have stopped breathing is a *Very Bad Thing.*  Besides, it takes me 3 days to shake off the groggy feeling from a sleepy pill.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

skbenny

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2008, 07:09:37 PM »
I also have learned to deal with my migraines by avoiding my triggers, if at all possible. 

It's interesting that my worst migraines have been after I got rid of my "plumbing", so I no longer have hormone migraines, but when I do get one now, it is so bad.

My triggers are too much of synthetic vitamin C, citric acid, pecans, stress, changes in the weather, too little sleep, grinding my teeth while I sleep, and knots in my shoulders or neck.  I'm sure I have more, that I don't know about yet, these are the ones I have managed to isolate and avoid.

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2008, 09:40:01 PM »
I know some of my triggers are: lack of sleep, stress, caffeine, scents, things like that. 

Sometimes, however, it seems to be triggered because I am breathing ::)

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2008, 11:25:33 PM »
My mother had knee replacement surgery recently.  Everyone else who has had it has lauded these "little white pills" that the doctor gave them for the pain (recovery and physical therapy).  They tell her that they didn't feel a thing with one of those a day.........

Mom was taking two and still dreading the arrival of the therapist...........she went back to have her new knees "bent" at the office because she can't bend them far enough........her doctor realized that her meds needed adjusting - but so far, no luck with finding something to control the pain.

Talk about a good reason to take care of MY knees...........I have very similar reactions to meds and some of the same skeletal issues.  But I sure hope that I got my dad's knees........there are several things where I "split the differences" on things where they have different reactions to food, allergens, or medication..........I'm hoping the knees one of those areas.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

FunkyMunky

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2008, 02:08:05 AM »

Tha last time I had a really bad migraine I was sharing a room with my sister (she was visiting). She complained loudly about me getting up. Well, I have to keep myself in wet washcloths and clean buckets somehow.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2008, 02:14:45 AM »
I think part of the problem of people who misunderstand/minimize the agony you are suffering, is that so many people think that every bad headache is a "migraine."  They get a bad tension headache, but are still functioning/working, and they say, "Oh, I have a migraine."

Do any of you true migraine sufferers notice this? It's kind of like people who get a bad cough/cold but are still walking around, no fever, and they say, "Oh I have the flu."

I think if people didn't call every bad tension headache they get "a migraine" then perhaps the true migraine sufferers would be given the respect they deserve.

amanda_tlg

• Keeper of the Cheerios
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2008, 07:45:18 AM »
I think part of the problem of people who misunderstand/minimize the agony you are suffering, is that so many people think that every bad headache is a "migraine."  They get a bad tension headache, but are still functioning/working, and they say, "Oh, I have a migraine."

Do any of you true migraine sufferers notice this? It's kind of like people who get a bad cough/cold but are still walking around, no fever, and they say, "Oh I have the flu."

I think if people didn't call every bad tension headache they get "a migraine" then perhaps the true migraine sufferers would be given the respect they deserve.

ITA. Tensions & sinus headaches are bad. But they are nothing...nothing...compared to a migraine. If you are able to function normally, walk out into bright sunlight, eat, talk, etc - its probably not a migraine.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2008, 08:26:58 AM »

Citric acid, soy, strong perfumes.

Hormones. ::sigh:: As someone said, not much you can do about those.

And for some reason, if I'm exhausted and I go to bed, and then I have to get up an hour or two later - BAM - headache!

If I have at least four hours of uninterrupted sleep, I'm fine. If I have just twenty minutes, I'm fine. But in between, not so much. I don't know why this is.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2008, 08:38:36 AM »
Triggers: MSG, too much sleep, too little sleep, changes in barometric pressure, stress, physical inactivity, sinus pressure due to allergies

My migraines used to also go along with my hormonal cycles, but since getting pregnant with DD that has only happened once or twice.

sadiemae

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2008, 08:59:22 AM »
I have been getting migraines since I was in high school. I still remember that first one- my vision blurred and changed and within an hour I was in crippling pain. We were on a camping trip and my parents and I were afraid I would have to go the emergency room. Finally, I passed out for a full day.

For awhile, I was getting about one a week, then I worked really hard to figure out my triggers. For me, MSG is its own trigger. My other triggers are combos, if I am very over-tired, hungry or over stressed, any two of the three will send me spiraling. Not great combos for owning your own business...

Overall, since I figured out my triggers I haven't had them that frequently. Unfortunately, they still occur, though. Last month I had a vicious one and ended up having to walk home in broad daylight, gagging the whole way. It was absolutely the worst torture I have ever experienced. Thankfully, it was only a few blocks, but I was in tears by the time I hit the bed. I hope that never happens again.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2008, 09:00:21 AM »

Absolutely. I get bad headaches sometimes. And someone will invariably ask me "Oh, you have a migraine?" No. I'm not nauseated. I'm not seeing lights and my vision is not blurred. Yes, it feels like something inside my head is trying to make its way out armed with a ball peen hammer, but it does not feel like it's hammering anywhere other than my forehead. I do not get migraines. Don't wish that on me.  ;D
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

Joannie81

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2008, 09:41:40 AM »

Absolutely. I get bad headaches sometimes. And someone will invariably ask me "Oh, you have a migraine?" No. I'm not nauseated. I'm not seeing lights and my vision is not blurred. Yes, it feels like something inside my head is trying to make its way out armed with a ball peen hammer, but it does not feel like it's hammering anywhere other than my forehead. I do not get migraines. Don't wish that on me.  ;D
I was going to post this too.  If I get a headache at work, people often ask if it a migraine.  Wish I knew why.  Yes, it's bad, but I am still functioning.  It's usually a sinus headache and sometimes a tension headache.  I don't get migraines.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2008, 11:47:18 PM »
I thought I had a migraine once (head was splitting, I was nauseas, light was not good but I also wasn't hiding under my blankets).  I'm guessing from your stories that I did not, and I swear I will be nice to anyone with migraines now because that was the nastiest pain I've ever felt and apparently it gets much worse.

On a slightly different topic, is anyone else getting a headache reading this thread?