Author Topic: "can't you just take some aspirin?"  (Read 18336 times)

Miss Vertigo

Re: "can't you just take some aspirin?"
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2008, 01:54:54 PM »

You have the wishes for good luck and continuing good thoughts for you.  Also, if I may be allowed, a virtual grandfatherly hug to you.  Let us know how things turn out.

Warbaby, you're very kind, and I will gladly take that grandfatherly hug :) Thank you so much! I'll keep you posted :)

WildChild@Heart

• Someday my trees will be this big too!
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2008, 02:10:21 PM »
After reading all these posts I guess I've been lucky that over the years no one has tried to say my migraines were anxiety or depression.

Over 30 years ago when I first started getting them as a teen I had one about every 60 to 90 days. Fortunately my Mom had experienced them and knew that they were real. As I got into my mid 20's to about 30 I only got about 4 to 5 a year, but had at least one trip to the ER or MDs office for Demerol injections each year. This was before Imitrex was ever heard of. After my DH and I got married in 88 he suggested trying his chiropractor. Wow, what a difference that made for me. I turns out I have lordosis- a reversal of the cervical curvature what is commonly referred to as military neck. Once I started seeing him regularly my migraines faded away. In fact I haven't had on in probably 4 or 5 years and I only see the chiropractor about 4 times a year just to keep my neck properly aligned.
“Don't outsmart your common sense."

LibraryLady

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2008, 03:29:17 PM »
My mother, her brother and my paternal great-aunt suffered from migraines, so guess I get it honest.  I remember as a 4-5 year old having them.  Mom would say that I would crawl up in her lap and say "my head hurts".  I have had them all of my life and triggers are change in weather (we had 45+mph winds all day yesterday and last night), getting too hot (it was 101 deg yesterday) and smells.  I too have to kind of laugh at people who say, take aspirin/advil/aleve - honey - it just doesn't work. 

I feel for all fellow migraine sufferers - it is not a walk in the park by any means to suffer with them.  I am just grateful that I seem to have them less and less; plus they don't put me out for 2-3 days as they used to. 

Fellow migraine suffer UNITE! with favorite drug that helps the pain stop!!!

librarylady

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »
After reading all these posts I guess I've been lucky that over the years no one has tried to say my migraines were anxiety or depression.

I started getting migraines at three years old.  It would have been a brave doctor who suggested to my mother that I had depression or anxiety at that age. My mother would have told them what she thought of that theory >:D

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

sarita

• Pur Autre Vie
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2008, 09:34:40 AM »
Can I just say that I am so jealous of those who get an aura before their migraine?  I've never had any notice that one is coming on.  I liken it to being hit over the head with a sledgehammer, the onset is that sudden.

I started getting migraines in high school.  I had one that lasted for close to six months.  I'd have the headache for 28 or so days and then get a 2 or 3 day respite before it would start up again.  I had the whole gamut of nasty symptoms.  Luckily, I have a strong family history and my mother is a nurse so I was able to get a good diagnosis from the first neurologist I saw.  I still had to go through the whole CAT scan/MRI thing (that little episode of waking up blind with projectile vomiting even scared the neurologist).  The neurologist also recommended SSRI's to treat the extreme depression that came from being in such chronic pain.

Unfortunately, I can't take any of the migraine drugs.  I had a really nasty reaction to the triptans.  My doctor finally gave me a prescription for an anti-nausea med that works by putting me to sleep for a few days.  I don't get them nearly as often now, but when I do they're doozies that last for a week.

I don't know if I could have mustered the energy to be pleasant to someone who suggested I simply take aspirin.  I think the glare of death would have been about as nice as I could muster at that point  :)

andi

« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2008, 05:11:33 PM »
i was talking to my doctor a couple weeks ago - she was telling me about a neurologist in town that's doing some awesome research on migraines

1) they think there may be a link between the auras and heart attacks for women

2) Botox (which in of itself i think is evil BTW FWIW) has been doing wonders for some types of migraines. 

I feel soo much better in some weird way knowing that i'm not the only person who started suffering young.  I was about 5 when they started and back then it was Bayer asprin.  After all the tests they never really did figure anything out.  I'm just "one of those people". 

bionelly

« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2008, 06:21:26 AM »
Triggers:
Misaligned neck
Strong smells, especially perfumes or cleaning fluids
Crying, especially if I am also overtired
Reading at the computer for too long with the contrast or brightness set too high

Aspirin doesn't even touch a regular headache for me, let alone a migraine.  If I catch it early enough in the prodrome, 800 mg of ibuprofen sometimes takes the edge off a bit.  Midrin helps more, but it also puts me to sleep, so I can't take it until I'm at home.

This is a bit weird, but I wonder if anyone else has ever had it happen to them.  The one and only time I tried Excedrin Migraine, it helped with the pain, but left the aura.  Then I noticed that things that I knew must be moving smoothly (like cars and clouds) appeared to be moving in tiny jerks.  It scared me so much that I never took it again, even though it did help with the pain.  Does anyone know what that might have been?  Is it a normal part of the migraine aura that I hadn't noticed because I was hurting too much, or is it a bizarre side effect of the drug?

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2008, 06:48:32 AM »
I don't know about the side effects. I've never taken Excedrin Migraine.

But having things move around oddly is a part of the migraine for me. My eyes don't seem to work properly when I have a migraine. So if something is moving fast, my vision cannot keep up with the movement, and it 'stutters' like a bad video. It is really cool to watch, though. :P

The only time I've been scared is when the 'video' loses its reception and goes to 'snow'. That is not so cool.  :-X
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:50:24 AM by blue2000 »
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2008, 07:02:36 AM »
Chiming in again on the medication discussion - I can't take them either. Triptans are contraindicated for me, I refuse to ingest a psycho-pharmacological medication on principle (long story) and many of the preventatives cause weight gain; given that I already have a substantial problem in that area the doctors are reluctant to try them.

I try to struggle by with codeine, but that doesn't work much either.

On that subject: my neurologist's appointment didn't go great. I'm still no closer to a diagnosis as I "don't fit the typical symptom pattern" even though I've had these since I was about 18 and have a strong family history on both sides. The neuro decided that it was also being complicated by medication overuse (no kidding), and yanked me off all my painkillers.

Bad move, as I discovered when two days later I was in so much pain I ended up at the A&E dept of the local hospital. Fun fun.

So now I'm trying a tapered approach to getting off the codeine, which seems to be going OK; I see the neuro again in another six weeks when he's going to try again at another diagnosis.

I'm frustrated to the point of tears. His view was so clouded by the notes of the neurologist I saw last time. He concentrated only on the pain element, and not the peripheral symptoms that bother me so much - it is these that stop me from leading a 'normal' life, even when I'm not in pain.

I'm thinking about going private and trying the City of London Migraine Clinic. NHS treatment here is so structured that if you don't tick all the boxes they want you to tick: no diagnosis.

I *know* it's migraine. Everyone else *knows* it's migraine. It's textbook. And yet nobody in the medical profession seems to believe me.

AmberVolakis

• I'm not perfect, I'm clumsy!
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2008, 04:44:40 PM »
I've had migraine all my life. My response is always, "Migraine is actually a neurological disorder that has been linked to epilepsy and does not involve only headache - and sometimes actually has symptoms that don't include a headache at all!" And I am always happy to launch into an explanation that will have people's eyes glazing over in no time!

It's also handy to recommend the migraine Wiki or the book Migraine by Oliver Sacks.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2008, 10:41:06 PM »
I started to get random migraines after becoming a mother.
Just lie down on the floor and moan in the dark and and pray the infant does not learn to crawl while you are basically passed out!
Found out a few years later that my BC pills were the most liekly culprit.  Went to a smaller dosage, and all better!
Now DH is snipped and have not had a migraine since.
(Cue angels singing praises)

One memorable migraine-
felt odd, woozy all day.  Reached up to open the freezer for something cold and realized I COULD NOT SEE out the left field of vision.  My arm would just vanish... as I lifted it.  Called the docs.  They said I was too young for a stroke, come on in!  DH came home and drove me. 
Turns out it was a Vasular Migraine.
"Doc, there is really no pain!  Are you sure this is a migraine?"
"Don't worry.  The pain and nausea and noise and  :'(light sensitivy et al. will come!"
And it did.   :-[

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

beingkj

• Demonic kangaroos are far scarier than Drop Bears
  • I am invisible
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2008, 03:36:46 AM »
I think part of the problem of people who misunderstand/minimize the agony you are suffering, is that so many people think that every bad headache is a "migraine."  They get a bad tension headache, but are still functioning/working, and they say, "Oh, I have a migraine."

Do any of you true migraine sufferers notice this? It's kind of like people who get a bad cough/cold but are still walking around, no fever, and they say, "Oh I have the flu."

I think if people didn't call every bad tension headache they get "a migraine" then perhaps the true migraine sufferers would be given the respect they deserve.

I can't stand that either. I've had a 24 hour headache that put me in bed most of the day, but it was not a migraine (very little light sensitivity although I was more comfortable with my eyes closed in the dark, no nausea, no vision problems) and I would never have called it that. Unfortunately, it didn't respond to painkillers.

I feel so sorry for you all. Virtual cold compresses and sugary tea.
Oh no, I'm blogging!

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2008, 02:58:30 PM »
"Can't you just enroll in charm school?"

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2008, 03:17:27 PM »
"Can't you just enroll in charm school?"

*giggle*

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

tiny clanger

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2008, 09:02:50 AM »
My sis, mum and dad all get migraines. I keep hoping that I've missed that little genetic jackpot. Thanks to them, I fully appreciate that a migraine isn't a headache. :P Sis and I had to get mum home once after she got a murderous migraine at a village fete - we were pretty young but I got us all on the bus and home okay.  ;D

I'm thinking about going private and trying the City of London Migraine Clinic. NHS treatment here is so structured that if you don't tick all the boxes they want you to tick: no diagnosis.

I know a couple of people who went private withe health problems (depression and problems with knees) and it helped immeasurably -- private doctors are expensive, but they tend to listen to the patient far more (less rushed) and worked wonders. Good luck!