Author Topic: "can't you just take some aspirin?"  (Read 18742 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: "can't you just take some aspirin?"
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2008, 03:36:05 PM »
Oh, gosh! I am so jealous!!!!

I've never heard of private doctors in Canada - I'd have to travel to the US to find one!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

ShadowLady

• My mind is like a steel trap-illegal in 13 states.
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2008, 11:49:42 PM »
My DH used to get migraines on a regular basis, but when the dr's tried to put him on Imitrex, he refused, because one of the side effects is that it can cause heart problems in a perfectly healthy person.  And DH has a history of heart problems on both sides.  So after some research, he started taking the herb Feverfew, and some magnesium supplements because of a study that most migraine sufferers tended to have low magnesium levels.  Oh, and also makes sure he drinks a lot of water.  When we first met, before he'd started on the feverfew/magnesium, he tended to have probably 1-3 migraines a month.  Now that he takes the feverfew everyday as a preventative (NOT a curative), well, I think i remember him having one migraine earlier this year.  And I think I remember one from last summer.  YMMV.   He swears by it.

And then when I was younger, I remember my mother having migraines.  Then one day she had a car accident, someone rear-ended the tank of a car she had.  She had a sore neck and headache for a week, and she has never had another migraine.  However she does not recommend that as a cure.  ;)

bionelly

« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2008, 02:16:33 PM »
My DH used to get migraines on a regular basis, but when the dr's tried to put him on Imitrex, he refused, because one of the side effects is that it can cause heart problems in a perfectly healthy person.  And DH has a history of heart problems on both sides.  So after some research, he started taking the herb Feverfew, and some magnesium supplements because of a study that most migraine sufferers tended to have low magnesium levels.  Oh, and also makes sure he drinks a lot of water.  When we first met, before he'd started on the feverfew/magnesium, he tended to have probably 1-3 migraines a month.  Now that he takes the feverfew everyday as a preventative (NOT a curative), well, I think i remember him having one migraine earlier this year.  And I think I remember one from last summer.  YMMV.   He swears by it.

Hmmmm.  My mom takes magnesium to help with muscle spasms.  I'll have to ask her if she's noticed any difference as far as migraines go.

katallen

« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2008, 12:58:43 PM »
Wow. I had no idea how lucky DH and I are. I only started having migranes in college, and only started getting aurae in the last year, and the migranes themselves are only 4-8 hours long. (Other than the fact that they're distracting, I'm thrilled about the aurae since it gives me a chance to get ahead of the pain with ibuprofin, caffeine or Excedrin). Even DH's migranes only last 2 days at longest. 

God be with you, OP and other multi-day migrane sufferers, and straight to Etiquette Hell for the unsympathetic.