Etiquette School is in session! > "Have you tried the bean dip?"

Oh I really couldn't say....

(1/3) > >>

MDefarge:
I got to use this one this morning! The phones were off the hook (I think the receptionist was on 3 calls at once) so I picked up, it was a woman saying she was from X Insurance Company and was Mr. President in. 

Well first off, Mr. President retired in December, and only comes in @ once a week now - so either this woman was out of the loop or just picked his name up.  Second of all, I work in accounts payable/receiving, and I've never seen this companies name before. 

So I said Mr. P was out of the office and I didn't know when he would be coming in, but I could pass on a message.  She asked if she could fax the info, I said sure.  She then asked if we were residential or chimerical (construction) - now in the almost 100 years this company has existed the only residential work we've done has been at my boss' house (lol, perks) I said we were commercial....but THEN she asked what our yearly receipts (ie earnings) were!!!! I said "oh I'm not really sure"  She asked "well is it more then 4/5 million?" Me, quite coolly, "I really couldn't say" 

I'm not sure if this is some sort of scam (we got one of those lovely toner cartridge one the other day - he got off the phone before I could ask to be put on the do not call list) but it seemed a bit fishy.

Has anyone else used "I really couldn't say"?

sbtier:
I find this phrase kind of passive-agressive.  It seems like you're saying you do know, but aren't going to tell them.  If you are a private company, I would have told him that info was confidential.  If you are a public company, I would have told him to do his own research.

MDefarge:
Well, I really couldn't say - I didn't have that information in front of me and I wasn't going to look it up for her because it was none of her business. 

hobish:

I like it. I wish i could use it at work; but it's a bit too close to "I don't know," which we aren't allowed to say.

Twik:

--- Quote from: hobish on May 03, 2008, 01:10:28 PM ---
I like it. I wish i could use it at work; but it's a bit too close to "I don't know," which we aren't allowed to say.

--- End quote ---

It's not "I don't know", it's that you can't say. If your company DOESN'T want you to say, it's the perfect response.

(BTW, what does your company expect you to say when someone calls and asks "What exactly DID happen to the crew of the Mary Celeste?")

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version