General Etiquette > Etiquette Hell Classics

Classic Gimme: Kid's Birthday Party

<< < (2/4) > >>

mechtilde:
If there are two birthday girls, they need two presents. Even if it is a joint party and even if you have never met one of them.

Yes, I've had to do that. I've had to buy four presents for one party before now. I don't buy expensive presents, but it wasn't easy having to buy four back then.

That's the one thing the parents were right about- the rest of it though...

cicero:

--- Quote from: mechtilde on November 18, 2013, 04:38:25 AM ---If there are two birthday girls, they need two presents. Even if it is a joint party and even if you have never met one of them.

Yes, I've had to do that. I've had to buy four presents for one party before now. I don't buy expensive presents, but it wasn't easy having to buy four back then.

--- End quote ---
I thought the rule was that if you are invited to a joint birthday party but only know one of the kids, then you only have to bring a gift for one. e.g., twins who are in different classes/same grade throw a joint party and your child is in class with one of the twins and doesn't know/doesn't play with the other, or a joint party for siblings who are 1-2 years apart, then you bring a gift for the one that is the *reason* your kid is invited. In the OP - i don't see why i would have to bring a gift for a child I don't know, for parents i barely know, just because they decided to save costs and have a joint party.

mechtilde:

--- Quote ---In the OP - i don't see why i would have to bring a gift for a child I don't know, for parents i barely know, just because they decided to save costs and have a joint party.

--- End quote ---

I don't like it either. That said I don't think it is right to give a present to just one child at a joint party- it isn't about the parents it is about the children.

Emmy:

--- Quote from: mechtilde on November 18, 2013, 04:38:25 AM ---If there are two birthday girls, they need two presents. Even if it is a joint party and even if you have never met one of them.

--- End quote ---

if several people were coming, I don't see why those who know Emily can't just buy Emily a gift and those who know Amy buy Amy a gift.  Both girls will still get several gifts each.  Why would it matter if every person bought each child a gift?  I agree with cierco that if the hosts want to save money and effort by combining a party with two (or more) children, they shouldn't expect guests to shell out for children they don't know.  It was really tacky to ask guests to get a gift for both girls, especially if there were 60 guests.

In the case of twins, yes it is thoughtless for a family member to treat them as one person and buy only gift.  However, if the twins threw a party with friends, I don't think the friend should have to get a gift for the sibling they don't know.  My DD's were born the same month and if I do a combined party where they each invite their own friends, I would certainly not expect DD1's friends to also bring a gift for DD2 and vice versa.

Katana_Geldar:
My birthday and my sisters birthday are within a week of each other and we've had joint parties. Equal number of friends, equal number of presents. I think the only ones who brought two presents were relatives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version