News:

• February 22, 2018, 07:31:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nice people - there are a few! (surprise surprise!)  (Read 2069 times)

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Nice people - there are a few! (surprise surprise!)
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:44:28 PM »
After all our eHell-worthy stories, I get amazed when someone actually does something that's nice...  For example, I listed a sofa for sale on Craigslist last week.  My first "buyer" sent an email with her phone number, I called her and she never called or emailed back.  No great loss as my 2nd buyer was more deserving of my lovely sofa anyway!  She called before coming, called again to say she got a bit lost and would be a bit later, etc.  She and her family picked up the sofa yesterday and I just got a lovely email from her thanking me and telling me that the sofa is perfect in their living room.  It just amazes me that someone buys something from me and then takes the time to thank ME - shouldn't it be the other way around?  Anyone else have some good etiquette stories for the week?

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

thebeckster

Re: Nice people - there are a few! (surprise surprise!)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:52:27 PM »
This may sound a little naive on my part, but whenever I buy something on Ebay, I go in right away to arrange payment. I just figure this is the proper way of doing business. Imagine my surprise getting an email from a seller, THANKING (not just acknowledging) my prompt payment, and telling me what a great buyer I was. She could also have just written it in the feedback, but may a point to go that extra step, and I think that's a great way to build business...sincerely thank someone for doing business with you.

waterwren

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:57:31 PM »
 It's spring clean up time here. And in our town we have an elderly lady who is nearing 100. And meaner than a pole cat that's been dunked. She's been nasty to three generations of kids and most folks have learned to stay away from her. During the October Surprise Storm She called the cops on someone because their car died on the street in front of her house, and when they wouldn't have it towed for her - she had her plow driver block it, she's THAT type.
 I went for a walk after work and saw some kids raking her grass, picking up the winter's debris, and doing a good clean up. I said hi and asked why they were bothering since I knew she has some choice words for them earlier this year. 
 Their response was " Just because she's mean - doesn't mean we have to be." 

Their parents should be proud. 

DottyG

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »
It's spring clean up time here. And in our town we have an elderly lady who is nearing 100. And meaner than a pole cat that's been dunked. She's been nasty to three generations of kids and most folks have learned to stay away from her. During the October Surprise Storm She called the cops on someone because their car died on the street in front of her house, and when they wouldn't have it towed for her - she had her plow driver block it, she's THAT type.
 I went for a walk after work and saw some kids raking her grass, picking up the winter's debris, and doing a good clean up. I said hi and asked why they were bothering since I knew she has some choice words for them earlier this year. 

I'm not even sure what to say here.  I'm stammering and trying to think of words to express how wonderful these kids are!  There are some special jewels awaiting their crowns in Heaven! :)

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »
This may sound a little naive on my part, but whenever I buy something on Ebay, I go in right away to arrange payment. I just figure this is the proper way of doing business. Imagine my surprise getting an email from a seller, THANKING (not just acknowledging) my prompt payment, and telling me what a great buyer I was. She could also have just written it in the feedback, but may a point to go that extra step, and I think that's a great way to build business...sincerely thank someone for doing business with you.

I do the same thing, and I just the other day had a buyer thanking me for my quick payment....it's so silly, I mean, wouldn't it be in my best intrest to pay right away? I mean the faster I pay the faster they ship right...lol, I guess not everyone thinks that way though.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 12:54:34 PM »

That actually made my eyes well up!
The status is not quo!