General Etiquette > Etiquette Hell Classics

The Amway "housewarming" party (FauxPasofYear1114-06)

(1/66) > >>

Brentwood:
FauxPasofYear1114-06

(Ehelldame's comments are in red.)

Two  friends of ours, a lovely couple named 'Casey' and 'Mindy', were invited to a housewarming party by a friend of Casey's from work. In fact everyone at the workplace was invited, via a large Invite and map on the breakroom wall. Casey and Mindy were new to the area, recent newlyweds, and decided to go to meet some new friends. They were told dinner would be a buffet and mostly just "the grand tour" of the host's new abode, and chit chat over cocktails.   Casey and Mindy arrived, bringing with them a nice bottle of Bordeaux from a local vineyard, and told by the smiling hostess as she took their coats that every one was congregating in the living room, and once everyone was there, they would "get started". Alrighty then!

Casey left the wine on the gift table, and he and Mindy seated themselves on some folding chairs (2 of about 30) in the front room. There was a man at the front of the room that Casey did not recognize, in a shirt and tie, setting up a DVD player to a large TV
 facing the "audience". They chatted with the people around them, and soon found out no one else had any idea what was going on...was this some type of "how we found and bought our new home" show?   Were the hosts planning on everyone watching a movie? More and more people filed in, and finally the lights dimmed as Howard (the host and Casey's co-worker) said,   "As you may have guessed, we have owned this home for over 3 years now, and while we never had a housewarming, The REAL reason we have brought you all here together is to tell you about a super business opportunity that my wife and I have recently discovered, called AMWAY."   

Looking immensely pleased with himself, he then introduced his manager, "BOB" who was way up on the Amway ladder and could let these people all follow him down the road to riches beyond imagining. Someone asked if they could have the housewarming part first, as they were not interested in the Amway. "Bob" spoke to all assembled as if they were slightly dense 3 year olds, and promised, no more than 1 HOUR of Amway, and they you will be allowed to make your way over to the buffet.   

My friend Casey and his wife stood instantly and asked for their coats. Several other guests did the same.   On their way out the door, they picked up their bottle of "housewarming wine" and went home and drank it themselves, laughing all the time.   To this day, "Bob" has never apologized for bringing people into his home on false pretenses, but has let it be known how rude his co- workers are, especially since corporate has told him he cannot advertise for any Amway related business on company property. I know Casey and Mindy's actions were probably rude as well. But I can't help but giggle every time I picture him snagging his bottle of wine off the gift table on the way out!   

FauxPasofYear1114-06

When I was 22, I was very briefly snagged into Amway and actually participated in getting a co-member of a health club I worked at to come hear an Amway presentation under false pretenses.  She thought she was coming to hear about tax help for her portfolio.  Where ever you are, please forgive me.  My innards were just crawling in disgust over what I was doing.   

My own comment: This story literally made my jaw drop. 

kathrynne:
Ouch. A coworker pulled this stunt on DH and me before we got married, only he came to our home. He got the boot pretty quickly, and I never saw him the same way again. Too bad, I had thought he was a nice guy.

Now my brother's my upline in Quixtar. He's put 20 people under me but I can't really make money unless I start a second line of people. Not gonna happen. I have two friends in this state and I intend to keep them that way. They offer a few products I like and can't get anywhere else--like an energy drink that actually tastes good!--and that's my full intent with the company.

Besides, my brother could sell space heaters in the tropics. I could never be a "rah rah" type or sell anything someone wasn't asking to buy from me.

citybrat:
Many years ago, my husband and I were subjected to a similar meeting. The guy gave us this schpiel about getting rich by selling these products. He told us he drove a Mercedes and lived in a big house all by selling this stuff and getting other people to sell for him.

He proceeded to go around the room to ask us what our "dream" was. The poor sch#### never knew what hit him. People said things like "finishing law school", "run a marathon"... you get the picture.

It came around to my husband's turn, and my very smart husband says "living to a ripe old age in good health". I picked on his cue and said "being well read and well educated". We got a thumbs up from a few people across the room. Some were laughing. The guy was clearly annoyed telling us we need money for both of those things. Yes, you need some, but not a fortune.

I was talking to a friend who taking a business degree in university and she informed me that you can work 40-50 hours a week on these schemes and earn only $7K to $10K if you are lucky. You are better off working part time at WalMart and you won't have to annoy your friends.

retreadbride:
Quixtar and Britt Marketing were begun by the same guy who started Amway. BEWARE.

The key is that there is ANOTHER business in these MLMs....the business of selling the tapes, videos, and holding the seminars. The people in the downlines do NOT make money.

My parents got sucked into that poop for awhile. They were pressed to hoodwink friends and told directly not to tell them why they were invited, or they wouldn't come. "They won't be offended because they are your friends" when they find out otherwise. "Hey, your friends don't yell at you, do they?"

No reputable business will work as an MLM. Period.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/10.03.96/cover/multilevel-9640.html

http://www.mlmwatch.org/

http://www.mlmsurvivor.com/

Bob Ducca:
This happened to us as well- DH's best friend, whom he had known for years, ensnared us into an Amway meeting.  He and DH were estranged for a little while over it- it was kind of a "last-straw" sort of situation.

According to our pitchman, it was our dream to own a "motorcoach."  To this day, DH snickers when he hears the term.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version